Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Adding 250GB to HR10-250

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gmviso

gmviso

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 02:50 PM

I have some questions about adding a second 250GB drive to my new HR10-250.

First, after I upgraded my HDVR2 from the single 30 hour drive to a dual drive system by adding a 160GB drive from Weeknees , its user interface really slowed down.

So, is the same going to happen if I add a second drive to my HR10-250?

Secondly, what drives are people using for upgrading?

I have not opened the hood of this new machine yet (would llike to give it a week or so of use before opening it). Based upon research I am starting to believe that the stock drive is a Western Digital WD2500. That would imply that it is a 7200RPM Ultra-100 drive.

Weaknees is selling the Maxtor Quickview drives which are only 5400 RPM but have a Ultra-133 interface. Will the HR1-250 be able to take advantage of the U-133 interface?

Checking the specs, the Western Digital drive dissipates only 8.8W when active compared to the Maxtor at 10.09W. However when idle the Western Digital is at 8.3W compared to 6.18W for the Maxtor.

Also, being 7200RPM and having an 8MB buffer, the Western Digital would seem to have an edge at streaming video.

Thanks, George
57HDX82

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gmviso

gmviso

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 03:17 AM

Well, since I had no one reply to me I opened my new toy up this morning.

Inside I found a Western Digital WD2500LB drive (7200RPM, Ultra-100, 2MB buffer).

Still thinking about adding a WD2500JBRTL (7200RPM, Ultra-100, 8MB buffer).

Any yays or nays?
57HDX82

#3 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:08 AM

If you go to www.tivocommunity.com , there are a few people in the upgrade forum that have done it. I think I read of someone using that 8mb buffer drive. I do think the UI can slow down with the HD TivO as well but as I have not done it, I can;t say for sure.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

spam firewall