Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Zenith HD-SAT520 blown - DirecTV replacement?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dsm

dsm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 10:02 AM

We had a lightening strike near my house and the sat input on my Zenith HD-SAT520 was blown. It's out of warranty. So I can either ship it on my own to Zenith or for $150 and a one-year commit DirecTV will give me a replacement. DirecTV can't tell me what model I'll get but it will be new and they confirmed it will have an option to always upconvert to 1080i which I want for my TV. I opted for the DirecTV replacement, but they said if I wasn't satisified with the receiver I could return it before I activate. What do you think?

The Zenith was $650 about 18 months ago.

-steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dsm

dsm

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 10:04 AM

Oh, yeah, if you bought HD direct from DirecTV recently could you please respond with what make/model you received?

thanks again,

steve

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:53 PM

Last December I ordered the HD receiver from DirecTV and received the Hughes HTL-HD, I could have gotten the Samsung 160. I think they are still shipping the HTL or the newer Samsung 360. The HTL-HD is working very well. These are non TiVo STBs.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   SkyOnion

SkyOnion

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:22 PM

Currently using the TS-360 Samsungs in all of the offices in my market area, I'd just about bet you'll get the Sammy.

#5 OFFLINE   dsm

dsm

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 09:54 PM

I had this marathon phone call to discuss the return and what I'd get. I was very suspicious they would send me a refurbed older unit and I even asked to speak to the woman's supervisor. He told me since it was out of warranty they were just giving me a deal on buying a new one really but I would have to recommit for 12 months. So I went for it.

Two days later (yes just two days they sent it fedex express), I got the box and opened it. Ugh. Battered refurb which really wasn't even packed in the box just bouncing around. TS-160 samsung. I called them back and just insisted they take it back. I didn't want to mess around with DirecTV anymore. I'm sure it will take a while, but I'm going to send the unit back to zenith. Thanks for the help.

To top it off in all the confusion the shmuck I was talked with the second time disabled my working DirecTIVO while I was on vacation. Anyone know if they are going to rebroadcast the first "Stargate: Atlantis" episode? Sigh.

-steve

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 01:11 PM

The 2 hour premier of Stargate: Atlantis was July 16 and this past Friday was the latest.
http://www.tvtome.co...rgate_Atlantis/
I doubt that a rebroadcast will be anytime soon.

I take that back, Sci Fi is repeating the 2 hour premier and the next episode this Tuesday night starting at 8pm EDT.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

spam firewall