Jump to content


Welcome to DBSTalk


Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends
 
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bug Report L184 & L185: Channel Not Found Problem


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dishbacker

dishbacker

    Godfather

  • Registered
  • 429 posts
Joined: Jun 15, 2004

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:18 AM

I'm having some concerns with the OTA HD settings. Every once in a while, I'm getting the 'Channel Not Found...' error message when tuning an OTA HD channel. This seems to mostly occur when I'm going from a satellite channel to an OTA HD channel.

I enter the full channel number, and about 5 seconds later I will get a 'Channel Not Found' error. From that point forward, it will always give me that error, like it never goes back out and tries to access that channel again (or as previously posted, the data stored for that channel might've been corupted, etc. the first time the problem occurred).

At first, I thought this was a problem with my antenna alignment. I worked on that and got better signal strength. But the problem didn't seem to go away completely, although it did keep it from happenning 4-5 times a week to just 1 time during the week.

I had it happen this past weekend with WFAA (NTSC 8, ATSC 9 in DFW). I went from a Sat Channel (don't remember if it was HD or SD) to 008-01, and got the error (first time). I went to a different OTA HD channel and it worked fine. At this point, I did the following steps immediately:
* I went straight to the settings
* deleted the 008-01 and 008-02 channels
* selected done
* went back to the settings
* selected manual DTV scan
* entered 09 and I got a signal strength pegged at 125 (which makes no sense)
* Clicked save, the channel showed back up, and worked just fine.

I see 2 issues here:
1) When switching from SAT to OTA, it seems that the tuner gives up on waiting for an OTA signal from a channel too quickly. It appears that it will wait maybe 4-5 secs max to check for a signal, whereas, if going from OTA HD to OTA HD it will wait a good 7-8 secs before giving an error message.
2) When an OTA HD channel doesn't come in and a 'Channel Not Found...' message is displayed, the tuner will never try again to retrieve the signal for that channel unless you go delete the channel and re-add it.

Let me know if this info isn't clear.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

    Your Neighborhood Liasion

  • Registered
  • 12,527 posts
Joined: Mar 23, 2002

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:15 AM

This is a known issue, and when it happens, you have to add back in the channel(s) that give you the errors.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   dishbacker

dishbacker

    Godfather

  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 429 posts
Joined: Jun 15, 2004

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:01 PM

Seems to be fixed in L186. Got an error in the middle of the all star game... first a couple of acquiring signal messages and then finally a 'Channel not found' error. On the off chance, I hit channel up to a different local and then channel down.... and to my amazement, the channel came back!!

Yipee! A bug fix!

Now I just need to fine tune my OTA antenna some more...




Protected By... spam firewall...And...