Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Is this true?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tom_*

Guest_Tom_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:59 PM

I currently have service from DTV. I have two wires connected to my dish that run into an 8 way multi switcher. I also have a 3rd wire run that is not connected to anything on either end (used to use it for Internet). There is now way to run a 4th wire. DTV tells me that I will soon lose my local channels and cannot get HDTV b/c I need 4 wires. Is this true? I cannot believe DTV would increase the number of wires required. That seems insane to me. I would expect the number of wires required to decrease, not increase. Are any wireless solutions on the horizon?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:14 PM

If you want all 3 sat slots then you'd get a Phase III dish which has 4 outputs. You'd run those 4 into a 5x8 *cascadable* multiswitch. Even with the old Oval dishes there has always been 4 cables from the dish. Just the way it is.

#3 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:32 PM

If you are hooking up the HR10-250 and nothing else, you need only two cables from the oval dish straight to the satellite inputs on the 250. You should still be able to get Standard Definition locals through the dish (if you are subscribing with locals included). Some have had problems initially getting the SD locals working on their 250's, but that's something D* has to set right, but as long as you're subscribing to the SD locals through D*, you should still get them (SD, not HD) on the 250.

To get locals in HD, you need the separate OTA antenna and a cable run to the 250 from that. The Phase III dish does have four outputs, but you don't need to run all four.

I have an HR10-250 and two Phillips DirctTivo's. I've run four cables from the oval dish - two to the 250 directly and the other two to a 2 input/4 output switch connecting to the other two Phillips units.

If you're using a 5x8 multi-switch I would have to assume you're running signals to more that just the HD Tivo. In that case, you would need to run 4 cables.

The Phase III dish has a multi-switch built into it, which I believe is why you only need two cables if all your running to is the 250. My oval dishes had a maximum of two outputs (Dual LNB), not 4, which is why I needed the 2/4 switch for the SD Tivo's.

#4 Guest_Tom_*

Guest_Tom_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:43 PM

JLucPicard --- Thanks for the encouragement. I cannot really follow all the tech stuff in your response, but would love to talk w/ you about it. If you are willing, please e-mail me at benz@catvexpress.net. I will call you or you can call me, whichever is your preference.

Thanks a lot.

#5 OFFLINE   Flyboy917

Flyboy917

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 09:45 PM

I just bought a Spaun 5x16 switch for my new trailer. :)
Anyone have any experience with one...since I can't install it untill I close, I don't know if it's worth a hoot or not.

Cheers,

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,555 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:57 AM

You need 16 outputs in a trailer? Must be some trailer.:) Or do you have 8 DirecTV DVRs? That's an expensive unit, so it must be worth a few hoots. :D
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#7 Guest_ivanl_*

Guest_ivanl_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2004 - 05:00 PM

Here it is:

http://www.sonorades...og_08_13_03.pdf Go to page 12. The product is TSAT242. This dish stacks the 4 signals that are usually sent over 4 coax wires onto two. You will also need the DSAT8D6S on the other end. It will replace my existing 8 way multi switcher. It destacks the signals that were stacked by the dish. It takes the two coax wires from the dish as input and outputs 8 wires that will run to my existing receivers. The dish is 3 LNB which will allow me to keep my local channels and upgrade to DTV when/if I choose to.

Awesome!!!! Not cheap though.

#8 OFFLINE   Flyboy917

Flyboy917

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 05:19 PM

You need 16 outputs in a trailer? Must be some trailer.:) Or do you have 8 DirecTV DVRs? That's an expensive unit, so it must be worth a few hoots. :D

My "Trailer" :rolleyes: becomes mine tomorrow. Right off the bat we have 2 two tuner DirecTivo's, and three bedroom feeds. Added soon will be a Kitchen feed. (Under counter plasma). There goes a 5x8 switch. In the longer term future, the home theater in the "Trailer" basement :eek2: will have a two tuner HD Tivo and two bedrooms down there will need feeds too....Then there is the garage, the bar, and remotely the upper and downstairs patio's. Does that add up to 16? :)

Everything is already pre-wired. I'll let you know how the switch works out.

Ye-haw
:)

#9 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 07:49 PM

My "Trailer" :rolleyes: becomes mine tomorrow. Right off the bat we have 2 two tuner DirecTivo's, and three bedroom feeds. Added soon will be a Kitchen feed. (Under counter plasma). There goes a 5x8 switch. In the longer term future, the home theater in the "Trailer" basement :eek2: will have a two tuner HD Tivo and two bedrooms down there will need feeds too....Then there is the garage, the bar, and remotely the upper and downstairs patio's. Does that add up to 16? :)

Everything is already pre-wired. I'll let you know how the switch works out.

Ye-haw

\
I've been using the Terk 5x8 switch(BM58) for 9 months without any problems.

#10 OFFLINE   Flyboy917

Flyboy917

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:35 PM

\
I've been using the Terk 5x8 switch(BM58) for 9 months without any problems.

Glad to hear it. I've heard many complaints about switch/ diplexing issues. I just haven't heard ANYTHING about 5x16 switches. I guess I'm the pioneer in this area. The new dish is coming tomorrow. No TV yet...but ....
None of the LAN lines are finished so I may be offline for a few days.
Anyhow I'll keep ya'll informed

spam firewall