Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Voom Pq

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JTIGHE

JTIGHE

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 04:38 AM

Last Night I had the option to view ESPN HD on VOOM VS Direct TV ESPN HD side by side with the split screen option on my panny 42" HD set. (I was using the component video inputs ).

The voom feed was about 1 secont ahead of direct tv.
Sound on VOOM was DD 2.0 while on Direct TV was analog
( I am not sure ESPN actually was in DD)

The BIG difference was in PQ

Direct TV was FAR BETTER in Color Quality and Sharpness.
I was supprised. I expected Voom to be better.

I actually called the wife into the room to get her opinon on what was better and she said Direct TV also..

I am trying to find a reason to keep voom, but am having a hard time justifying the cost

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,353 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 17 July 2004 - 11:50 AM

The difference you saw could be due to the settings for each of the Panny's two component inputs, or the calibration (or lack thereof). I can't say about D*, as I have E* and V*, and the PQ using component ins is comparable on my calibrated Panny 53" display.

The only valid 1080i comparison available to me is between Discovery HD on which is on both E* and V*, which does not offer HDNet.

Going back to my earlier post about the S-A cable HD box, the only two "HD" locals now available on local Adelphia cable are channels 10/12 out of JAX, which simulcast most of their programming except in prime time. If I hadn't known they were supposed to be in HD, I would have thought I was getting a bad analog picture - especially poor PQ for an HD offering from any provider. The direct-wired analog cable feed actually looked better than the supposed HD pic. :rolleyes:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 Guest_Steve5555_*

Guest_Steve5555_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:15 AM

Last Night I had the option to view ESPN HD on VOOM VS Direct TV ESPN HD side by side with the split screen option on my panny 42" HD set. (I was using the component video inputs ).

The voom feed was about 1 secont ahead of direct tv.
Sound on VOOM was DD 2.0 while on Direct TV was analog
( I am not sure ESPN actually was in DD)

It sounds like you are not even sure if ESPN was in HD. Many of their shows are not. Compare it to DiscoveryHD. You will see a much better picture with Voom. Look at Equator also, and Rave, and Rush, and World Sports, and HDNews, and MontersHD, and BravoHD, and...compare these channels to DirecTV also.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...