Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

L186: Do you lose OTA channels when the 921 reboots nightly?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: L186: Do you lose OTA channels when the 921 reboots nightly? (59 member(s) have cast votes)

L186: Do you lose OTA channels when the 921 reboots nightly?

1. [size=2]YES - I have to add back in one or more OTA channels after a reboot[/size] (16 votes [27.12%])

Percentage of vote: 27.12%

2. [size=2]NO - all of my channels are still there as normal after a reboot[/size] (39 votes [66.10%])

Percentage of vote: 66.10%

3. [size=2]No OTA channels in my area / I don't use the 921 for OTA channels[/size] (4 votes [6.78%])

Percentage of vote: 6.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:24 PM

Now that we're under L186, I would like to collect data on whether or not you lose any OTA channels when the 921 reboots. That is do you have to add any OTA channels back or rescan OTA channels after your 921 reboots?

If you answer YES, please provide your location, the station(s) you have to add back, and contact information for the engineering department at the station(s) if you can get it.

If you responded in the previous thread under L185, and experience the same problems, PLEASE RESPOND AGAIN!
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:20 PM

Now that we're under L186, I would like to collect data on whether or not you lose any OTA channels when the 921 reboots. That is do you have to add any OTA channels back or rescan OTA channels after your 921 reboots?

If you answer YES, please provide your location, the station(s) you have to add back, and contact information for the engineering department at the station(s) if you can get it.

If you responded in the previous thread under L185, and experience the same problems, PLEASE RESPOND AGAIN!

At least after the initial download L186 i lost all the Digital OTA channels. I had not lost them with L185 or its nightly reboot. Hopefully this is a onetime occurance.

Located in NY area and lost wcbs-dt wnbc-dt wabc-dt wnyc-dt wwor-dt(shares with wnyc-dt) wpix-dt whli-dt and some others. Since I lost them all I don't think this is related to the individual stations so I don't think contact info is appropriate.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#3 OFFLINE   deweybrunner

deweybrunner

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:49 AM

This morning I had not lost a single ota. I usually lose one or two. Hope this keeps up.

#4 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 05:06 AM

So far so good Mark as far as OTA's I normally watch in the morning. It will be interesting to see if it has re-picked up channel 4 that I hadnt had a chance to rescan in.

#5 OFFLINE   pculley

pculley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 08:47 AM

I appear to be in a special category; I cannot figure out how to add ANY OTA channels since 186.

I normally keep 7 of the 16 or so ATSC channels available in Houston active. When 186 appeared, at first I was unable to get the machine going at all (see http://www.dbstalk.c...662&postcount=8). It seemed to be "stuck" trying to display an OTA channel, and nothing I could do would get it to switch. It was clearly not working well with response to keys taking 30-40 seconds, a Smart Card "Error: No Info" on the information screen, and inability to view a sat channel. It did allow viewing of recorded content although the selection process was very slow with the slow response to each key press.

Later following numerous tries, I got it to work on sat channels by using Menu 6,6 return to factory defaults. This apparently removed enough OTA channels that the unit reverted to a sat channel at reboot.

At this point, any attempt to add an OTA, causes the unit to return to the above "dead" mode. It can only be brought somewhat back with the Menu 6,6. I have tried adding several different channels (that used to never drop out). Each time the tuner finds the first channel entered, with good signal strength, and then goes awry when I attempt to save it. No additional channels can be found, the channel added does not appear in the list, and we are dead.

I also tried doing a channel scan, it found the first channel (9, KUHT, inferrerred by the bump in channel count while the progress bar was in that position) and then found no other channels. It did not offer the "SAVE" button at the end, only "Cancel" and "Help" (which wasn't much...).

At this point I have NO OTA, and I sincerely wish that I had 184 back.

Over a dozen reboots later, A theory; I suspect that the 186 download was not correctly loaded into some flash device, probably because the OTA tuner or some other micro was in a "bad" state during the download. I suspect that my machine was tuned to an OTA channel that disappears after a reboot at the time it got the download (I had not had the machine out of standby yet that day to add the lost channels back in).

Mark, is there any way to resurrect this thing short of asking for a replacement?

#6 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 08:48 AM

Mark-

Need another option in the poll:

Lost all OTA channels after a reboot and unable to add them back!

Actually, after the first reboot I lost all channels, even sat channels. A second reboot and I now have sat channels but still problems with my OTA channels:
I tried to add several OTA channels back and none will add. I deleted the OTA's in the list after the first reboot. I get good signal bar to 115-120 on those I tried, however the bar remains red and says not locked. I have difficulty in exiting this screen as the 921 is extremely slow in response but if I wait about 3 minutes the menu will exit but nothing saved.
I am now attempting to add the OTA channels by auto scan method to see what happens.
I will report back on this later as it normally takes a long time.

As you know I did not have too many problems with my OTA channels and timers prior to rebooting after the L186 downloaded. This download definitly has left my 921 broken and this time I don't believe I can blame it on a CSR screwing up my card.
If this is going to be the norm, then they really need to figure out a way to revert back to a software release that does work.

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:00 AM

You guys are going to need to call in on this one. I haven't seen the problems that you're describing for several versions, and power plug rebooting always brought it back to normal for me.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#8 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:16 AM

More info as I continue to waste my time with these experiments.

The auto scan failed although did complete after about 15 minutes. Unfortunately it left my 921 channel-less again. Start the cycle all over. First I rebooted with power plug. Then checked system screen and surprise! No smart card info.

I did a smart card reboot and now I have card info and channels again.

Went into the menu 6-8 and attempted to add my PBS channel.

Bingo! The manual add went like greased lightning. That's 'southern' for very fast.

Then I checked and they were added back to my all channels list. I also checked the sat channels and now channels changing is also fast as before. I will continue to add the rest of my OTA channels back. The 921 sluggish operation appears to be gone with the smart card reboot.

I believe the reboot power plug followed by a smart card reboot did the trick.

Also- My first observation on the guide for the PBS channel I added was that all the sub channels are not listed in the guide. This is new as they were not present with L185. I give L186 this gold star for listing the subchannels in the guide with separate line entries. My PBS station has 4 subchannels.

I'll report back after I add the rest of the OTA channels.

#9 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:40 AM

All channels were successfully added back except for the two that do not transmit PSIP. These are the ABC and NBC affiliate channels 13-1 and 10-1 digital. I had good signal of 111 and 115 on these but the bar remained red with "no signal lock"

Additionally, the L186 did not fix the channel 17-1 WJWB problem of not being able to execute DVR functions on this channel. I still have no DVR capability on WJWB.

Conclusions-
After spending about 2.5 hours on this getting my 921 to work again, I am now left with 2 less channels that I once had before L186.

#10 OFFLINE   keitheva

keitheva

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:47 AM

More info as I continue to waste my time with these experiments.

The auto scan failed although did complete after about 15 minutes. Unfortunately it left my 921 channel-less again. Start the cycle all over. First I rebooted with power plug. Then checked system screen and surprise! No smart card info.

I did a smart card reboot and now I have card info and channels again.

Went into the menu 6-8 and attempted to add my PBS channel.

Bingo! The manual add went like greased lightning. That's 'southern' for very fast.

Then I checked and they were added back to my all channels list. I also checked the sat channels and now channels changing is also fast as before. I will continue to add the rest of my OTA channels back. The 921 sluggish operation appears to be gone with the smart card reboot.

I believe the reboot power plug followed by a smart card reboot did the trick.

Congratulations Don!

Now for those of us still in this mess, could you enumerate more clearly what were the sequence of steps which resolved this for you. Was it,

1. Delete all OTA channels.
2. Put 921 in standby mode.
3. Pull the plug.
4. After unit rebooted and still in standby mode, pull the smart card.
5. After unit rebooted, add back OTA channels.
6. All is well :)

?

Also, what exactly is the sequence for a "smart card reboot"? Is it simply pulling and reinserting the smart card while the 921 is on (or in standby mode)?

Thanks for your help.

-Keith

#11 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:00 AM

Keith- Your 1-5 seems right as to what I did. All is not well as I still do not have the two channels w/o PSIP. :(

Smart card reboot:
Put the 921 in stand by.
Pull the smart card out.
Turn on and wait. You may get a screen that tells you to insert your card. do it and voila!

If you don't get the screen telling you to insert the card after waiting, like 5 minutes, then just insert it and it may take off from there. That happened to me once too.
If not, try to power plug reboot and wait for the screen to tell you to insert a smart card. I believe that about covers all the different methods of smart card recovery.

#12 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:07 AM

OK, I just voted as the first category, now best describes my current position.

I had to add my OTA channels after a reboot, but not all of them will add back. I'm now not able to add the two without PSIP that do not and never have remapped on the 921. Until today, those were my most stable channels. Now I can't receive them on the 921.

In addition, a subsequent reboot with L186 does not lose any of the added back channels. What has been added back, now appears stable with additional reboots. I will be watching it over time.

#13 OFFLINE   onethree

onethree

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 12:52 PM

I answered yes to the poll but it might be another issue. I don't know if I got L186 last night or this morning. I do know when I turned on my 921 this morning I could not get any of my locals. When I went home for lunch L186 was there still no locals. I manually added locals and did a front panel reboot and my locals are still there! However, I now have another issue. I noticed that on the add DTV selection screen on the signal strength indicator they have added a "locked and acquired" message. Before L186 I received KOCB WB 34 (ATSC 33) but now I am unable to watch this channel. The singal strength is 125 but it doesn't change from orange to green. Some times I can get it to say locked and acquired but when I go to view KOCB WB 34 (ATSC 33) the screen remains black and does nothing. I will let you know tomorrow if my locals survive the overnight reboot.

Station information KOCB WB 34 (ATSC 33) 405-478-3434

PS. When my Mit TV tuner tunes to KOCB the channel is 33-3 instead of 33-1 even though they are broadcasting no additional channels.

#14 OFFLINE   pwherr

pwherr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:53 PM

I guess i'm lucky. Never lost any stations. Got the new software can't tell any difference but have not had any issues yet.It did take 45 min. on hold with dish to activate when I first got mine but no problems since.Do wish the locals listed like 721 in channel order not up in the 9000s.They could list under the ota's.

#15 OFFLINE   Jim Kosinsky

Jim Kosinsky

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:12 PM

Never have lost any OTA channels until 186...today I was missing 2-1 and 5-1. Did a rescan and they came back.

#16 OFFLINE   haydentf

haydentf

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:40 PM

I downloaded L186 last night and lost all my OTA channels. Tried to auto rescan tonight and the 921 didn't find any of the 9 I use to get (Dallas/Fort Worth area.) I was able to manually add them all again though. I'll let you all know tomorrow if they stay or go.

#17 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:51 PM

I don't know how to classify my problems. After the software update reboot, I seemed to have permanently lost CBS (www.kpix.com). This is one that I always had to manually add after a reboot. Since I can't add it, I can't see if it gets lost every time. Since it is gone, I'm assuming it is gone after reboot for the moment. I have tried to delete all of the channels, I've done smart card reboots, I've done power plug reboots, I've done the menu to reset the 921 to default settings, I've done re-scans, I've done manual adds of CBS, and like others, it shows it adds it into the channel list, but I only get "Channel x.x not found".

KBHK (www.kbhk.com) seems to randomly be viewable depending on the reboot. I'm currently getting a black screen without the "Channel x.x not found" message, although I was able to watch it about 20 minutes ago.

Channel 47.1 (KTLN) Gives me a black screen.
Channel 48.1 took about 20 seconds before a picture appeared, and this one has previously mapped as channel 11.1 (NBC) while channel 11.1 also mapped as (NBC). Now, channel 48.2 maps to NBC, the same as channel 11.1.
Channel 63.1 (no call letters) gives me a black screen.

When re-scanning the channels, I've actually seen it get "stuck" at the beginning of the re-scan. I haven't seen that behavior since L14x vintage software. A reboot seemed to help that one.

Doing manual adds, I've seen high signal strengths with red bars, not green bars. I've never seen it do that before. I re-entered the "Add DTV" menu, and the same channel showed as "locked" with a green bar. Go figure.

I've seen the blue light on AND the yellow light on at the same time! I've also seen it do stuff without any lights on, no power light even. I've had it show the green power light with no other light, and no picture, and pressing the "SD/HD" button didn't help matters. In fact, no button presses work, only a reboot seems to fix that.

This update is crippling. At least before I could add the channels, now CBS is just gone! I've probably rebooted a dozen times now. Nothing is stable.

Okay, one more update.... Now I DON'T HAVE ANY CHANNELS. I get a black screen for everything.

They really need to look at their channel map database. Until they fix that, we will still have problems....

#18 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:52 AM

My OTA channels are all there. I have never had a problem with losing them. I repeat, I have NEVER had a problem. I really feel for you guys who do lose them, though. It sounds very frustrating. So, what is it about my area, or my equipment, that is different?

I live halfway in between Baltimore and DC, with almost 180 degree separation between their signals, so I can't pick up all stations at once. I could get a rotor, but have two antennas with an A/B switch instead. I usually watch DC, unless WJLA (ABC) is playing games again (like forgetting to switch over to HD). Unfortunately, the Balt. ABC affiliate comes in the worst.

I have a professionally installed, roof-mounted antenna. I don't remember the model, but it is a fairly small yagi. I also have one of those POS Terks that clip onto your dish. It is enough to get Balt. but not DC.

-Chris

#19 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:21 AM

okay Mark,, Here is what I am losing after a reboot. Now as a sidenote,, I cant view them after a scan. My OTA signal strength is 98 - 101 , the channels do show after a scan but when I select them, it shows channel not locked message. My 6 other OTA channels are fine.

WTTV in Indianapolis, 04-01, 04-02 , station id is WB4, programming dept# is (317) 715-2761.

WRTV in Indianapolis, 25-01, 25092, station id is RTV6, phone# is (317) 635-9788

#20 OFFLINE   onethree

onethree

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:36 AM

I did not lose my OTA last night. This is the first time since I got my 921 a month ago. However, I am no unable to view KOCB 34 (DTV 33). I have 125 signal strength but when I go to view the channel it is black with no sound. KOCB does not send PSIP info at this time. Could this be the cause?

spam firewall