Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ASK DBSTalk: Boot and Flash versions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   paulcdavis

paulcdavis

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:56 PM

I've noticed that some of our newer forum members are reporting a Boot code 140B and Flash code 052. Does anyone know what changes were made from Boot 120B and Flash 051 that the early units have?

Could the continuing problems that some of us are having with installing software updates and the need for multiple reboots to get any OTA functionality back be related to having the earlier Boot and Flash versions?
Vip 622 activated: 5/28/07
Dish 1000-1
SW: L405 RB6D-N 5/28/07
HW: RBGD-N Bootstrap 1711 RB6D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:44 PM

That's new to me - I hadn't noticed that, but I haven't been paying much attention to it either.

Time for a new forum announcement...
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   Bad Attitude

Bad Attitude

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 06:36 PM

I have had my 921 for about two weeks and have seen some minor issues mostly timer and not being able to switch from live mode when doing a manual recording. What I haven't seen so far (I hope that I don't) is most of the OTA problems that plague other members such as loosing channels after a reboot or some stations never being received etc. As you can see I have newer flash and boot code but does this have anything to do with some of these OTA problems or maybe the local stations here play 'PSIP' correctly.
Bad Attitude

DishDVR 921, purchased May 2004 Boot: 140B, Flash: F052, Version: L212HECD-N, SuperDish=110/119 one DP34 (2)301 receivers

#4 OFFLINE   rbyers

rbyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:30 PM

I've noticed that some of our newer forum members are reporting a Boot code 140B and Flash code 052. Does anyone know what changes were made from Boot 120B and Flash 051 that the early units have?

Could the continuing problems that some of us are having with installing software updates and the need for multiple reboots to get any OTA functionality back be related to having the earlier Boot and Flash versions?

I've wondered about that also and have noticed the same thing. While there are some problems with my 921, they seem far less severe that those that others are reporting. My system does seem to be consistent in both what it does well and what it doesn't. I expect that where it doesn't do well, no one else has a 921 that handles the problem. I have three problems, all of which have been reported by nearly everyone else

1. Cannot add UPN ch 66 in LA to Ditgital Channels
2. Can add, but cannot view KOCE (channel 48)
3. Can add, view, but not use any DVR functions with PBS (KCET ch 59)
2 Hoppers 1/Sling No Joeys 2/16/13
Seagate 500, 1TB EHDs
TV: Samsung LCD 50" SmartTV HDMI 1.4
TV: Panasonic LCD 37" HDMI 1.4

#5 OFFLINE   pwherr

pwherr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:36 PM

I just checked my 921 and I have boot 120B flash F052 with 186 software.The only issues I have is I can't make a favorite list and sometimes when I switch channels the sound cuts out. If I hit the dvr button it quits. No ota problems.Everything picks up on scan and nothing deletes.

#6 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:44 AM

Mark- or anyone who knows the facts-

Can you offer a primer on what the "Boot" version and "Flash" version does? How would changing the version of these affect the operation and function of the 921? Does it only affect the boot up? Can it be changed via download or is that the part of the system that does or control the download?

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:02 PM

Currently, I have no idea Don. I ask for the information because it's asked of me when I send in beta reports to Dish. I'll see if I can find out here in the somewhat near future.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#8 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 06:33 PM

I suspect I know why the boot versions are different. Someone said that his new 921 didn't have firewire ports on the back. If they are gone now, then there is a new board revision. If that happened, then the I/O map may have changed slightly, which would cause a new boot version. If that is the case, it really isn't that significant, and would just give an indication to the developers about which board rev. you have.

#9 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 06:38 PM

I suspect I know why the boot versions are different. Someone said that his new 921 didn't have firewire ports on the back. If they are gone now, then there is a new board revision. If that happened, then the I/O map may have changed slightly, which would cause a new boot version. If that is the case, it really isn't that significant, and would just give an indication to the developers about which board rev. you have.

I suspect that you just hit the nail on the head! Good work!

spam firewall