Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Probelms receiving programming from Sat B and C

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Zzzach

Zzzach

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 02:42 PM

I just got my HDTivo this weekend and am experiencing several problems. The first one has to do with HD channels from DirecTV. (I will postpone the other problem, which has to do with OTA to a different thread).

My problem is very similar to the ones reported in:

110 and 119 not detected
http://www.tivocommu...threadid=174687

HD Tivo won't recognize all 3 satellites
http://www.tivocommu...threadid=184602

In a nutshell, although my testing shows that all three satellites are available, the HDTivo does not detect the B and C (just like in the links above). My setup is a bit different. I live in an apartment building that has a HD-capable dish on the roof and is shared by all tenants. This was installed by the landlord. A year ago, the dish was switched to an HD-capable. I have never seen the dish in my eyes, but I am 99% sure it is a 3-LNB.

It could be that my troubles are due to this setup. It is hard to get in touch with the people who installed it, so I am looking for some advice from the experience of people in the forum.

I spent most of Saturday’s evening with tech support level 2 and they could not figure out what the problem was. According to them, I should get all HD channels. They believe there is some problem with the installation. As I say, my setup is a little unique and therefore i am not sure i can implement any of the suggestions provided in the above threads. I have no multiswitch in my place, although there may be one on the way to my place (I assume, because I don’t know how this central installation works).

Other bits of useful info:

• I am not getting channel 400, 79, 80. (I cannot recall whether I got 99)
• In Sat C, I am not getting anything from transponder 12.
• I have another regular RCA receiver. Support suggested I will take a look at it. It is located in a different room and it, too, could not get 400.

Any suggestions on how to approach the problem?

Thanks,
ZZzach

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Flyboy917

Flyboy917

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:49 PM

Sounds to me that the built in multiswitch on your dish is bad...or you have a bad LNB.
Go get a new dish, swap out the LNB's and the Switch.

Flyboy

#3 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:13 AM

The key is finding out what exactly is installed that's feeding your apartment. By all indications, it's not a 3-LNB dish.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#4 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 01:10 PM

And exactly how is this dish split to the apartments? If they didn't use a *cascadable* multiswitch somewhere down the line then that explains the missing 110 and 119 easily. I'd bet before the Phase III dish they just had plain jane multiswitch. If all they did was replace the dish and didn't upgrade the switch then that explains it. There has to be a multiswitch somewhere. Say there are 8 apartments and each get 2 feeds, then they would have a 4x16 switch somewhere. But it has to be *cascadable*, capable of 22khz tones, to allow Sat B and C to work.

And how many cables are coming into your apartment? And they are connected exactly to what and how?

spam firewall