Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Voom channel surfing speed

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   richard_rd

richard_rd

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 08:41 PM

When i switched from cable to DTV it was a shock to me because the DTV IRD's would take between 0.5 and 1.25 seconds to lock onto audio and video when you changed channels rapidly as in channel surfing. But i got used to it after a while.

I had a dishnetwork system installed and it drives me crazy because the average time for a channel to lock in video and audio on the dish IRD's
seems to be between 1.00 to 1.5 seconds for their regular IRDS, and the 522 PVR IRD averages between 1.25 to 2.25 seconds.

I am thinking of trying out voom to get more HD content, but i have herd rumors that their irds take between 3.0 to 5.0 seconds to lock onto audio and video when you change channels. As a former world class channel surfer that would kill me!! LOL!!!

Is this True? Does it really take the voom receivers between 3-5 seconds to lock onto the channels A/V every time you change channels?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   brewerdude

brewerdude

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 11:04 PM

3-5 seconds is definitely an exaggeration. 1 - 2 secs sounds about right. There are other nagging issues though (the firmware in the receiver is a bit buggy). You may want to wait until the new release comes out (whenever that my be...)

The most annoying item (for me) is that when you go to the menu, it jumps back to the beginning rather than coming up on the channel you are on. This is supposed to be fixed with the new firmware...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...