Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Voom Requirements

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   saguppy

saguppy

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 10:25 AM

I'm in college, I have one semester left, and I would like to experience HD service for my last few months at school. We have a poor cable provider, so currently we have just plain directv. My reason for thinking Voom is that a long term contract is not required and I can rent the HD receiver for an extra ten bucks a month. Unfortunately, we do not have a phone line in our apartment. I have read on Voom's site that a phone line is required when using their service. I cannot afford to pay for a phone line (just use cellular) just so that I can get their service. Can anyone who has experience with this give me advice as to whether I will be able to get their service installed and will it work ok without being connected to a phone line? Directv also says they require a phone line, but I have never had one and have not had a problem with that. Thanks for your input,

Chad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jwss

jwss

Mentor

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 04:13 PM

bud, voom says it , but phone line dont have to be hooked up, phone line is were they can get the feed back for ppv , but voom here dont have ppv, i had a problem with the box, i thought maybe its the phone line, nope operator said the line not needed.

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 23 July 2004 - 08:17 PM

I don't have a landline, but before the Voom installer came, I made arrangements with my next door neighbor to "borrow" hers, if necessary. Well, it wasn't necessary for the initial d/l, and the installer never mentioned it.

Irony of ironies, my trusty and reliable Dish 7200 is suddenly (today) telling me it needs to phone home to WebTV ??? and I can't get it out of the loop. I've had it 4 years now and it's never done that before.

:confused:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   brewerdude

brewerdude

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 09:32 PM

Just pretend you do have a phone line and hook up a line cord from your dead phone jack to the voom receiver. The installer will be none the wiser, and Voom will never use it.

I've had Voom for about six weeks now, and it hasn't dialed in for a "check-up" yet.

#5 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 04:30 PM

Just pretend you do have a phone line and hook up a line cord from your dead phone jack to the voom receiver. The installer will be none the wiser, and Voom will never use it.

I've had Voom for about six weeks now, and it hasn't dialed in for a "check-up" yet.

I asked about the phone line on Voom's website, and got a reply back that it was required. When I complained about not having a home phone, I never really got an answer back. Last night I spoke to a friend of mine, and he is now saying that Voom pretty much sucks, and that most of what he is seeing is not really HD. So, he's going to have me put in a Dish system, and will probably return the Voom. Does anyone know if they will want the dish back?

#6 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 05:00 PM

I don't think Voom sucks at all. It right up there with the best HD I've seen. You said "I would like to experience HD for my last few months at school". I can guarantee you won't be too satisfied with what little E* and D* have to offer right now.

Since Voom is zero down and no obligation, why not give it a try?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#7 OFFLINE   brewerdude

brewerdude

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 09:35 PM

I asked about the phone line on Voom's website, and got a reply back that it was required. When I complained about not having a home phone, I never really got an answer back.

Don't say anything about the phone line - don't even bring it up. It's never used. However, you will need one with Dish or DTV, esp if you order PPV.

Voom doesn't have any PPV (yet), so there's no need for it to phone home.

#8 OFFLINE   saguppy

saguppy

• Topic Starter
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:07 AM

Thanks guys, I'll just order it and not say anything about it. They can plug it up if they want to but the jack will be dead:) I'm looking forward to college football season hdtv!

#9 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:55 PM

I don't think Voom sucks at all. It right up there with the best HD I've seen. You said "I would like to experience HD for my last few months at school". I can guarantee you won't be too satisfied with what little E* and D* have to offer right now.

Since Voom is zero down and no obligation, why not give it a try?

Lack of $$ for an HDTV....Got 4 kids.....

#10 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:58 PM

Don't say anything about the phone line - don't even bring it up. It's never used. However, you will need one with Dish or DTV, esp if you order PPV.

Voom doesn't have any PPV (yet), so there's no need for it to phone home.

Uh, I haven't had a landline in 7 years, and I have Dish and install them all. DirecTV told me that I could get 4 receivers with no landline as well. And with more people loosing the home phone, it will be interesting to see what they do. I still don't like the requirement. I know WHY, but it doesn't apply to a 1 receiver install. only on multiple receivers. They use the callerID info to trace the location of the unit.

#11 OFFLINE   brewerdude

brewerdude

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 04:35 AM

Uh, I haven't had a landline in 7 years, and I have Dish and install them all. DirecTV told me that I could get 4 receivers with no landline as well. And with more people loosing the home phone, it will be interesting to see what they do. I still don't like the requirement. I know WHY, but it doesn't apply to a 1 receiver install. only on multiple receivers. They use the callerID info to trace the location of the unit.

If you order PPV with the remote, it stores the transaction on your card, and dials back into DTV monthly to report your purchases. If you don't have it plugged into a landline, there's a max $ amount you can purchase so at some point, you won't be able to buy anymore. The only way to clear the card is to have it dial into DTV (or use some sort of hacker device to clear it, however, that is not possible with the latest DTV cards...)

#12 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:58 PM

If you order PPV with the remote, it stores the transaction on your card, and dials back into DTV monthly to report your purchases. If you don't have it plugged into a landline, there's a max $ amount you can purchase so at some point, you won't be able to buy anymore. The only way to clear the card is to have it dial into DTV (or use some sort of hacker device to clear it, however, that is not possible with the latest DTV cards...)

True, but that wasn't the point. I just don't feel they should require a phone line with only 1 receiver. It's when you are mirroring boxes on an account that the phone line really comes into play. If I want to do a PPV, I just call E*. I complained about the automated system, and said I wanted a password. They said $5.00 charge since I have to talk to CSR......so I told em to lock it out, I didn't want it at all then. Put on hold for a few minutes, and then told that I no longer have to pay anything extra at all.......just like a corporation. Bitch enuf, and you get what you should have gotten to begin with............Geez. :(

#13 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 08 August 2004 - 07:51 AM

I asked about the phone line on Voom's website, and got a reply back that it was required. When I complained about not having a home phone, I never really got an answer back. Last night I spoke to a friend of mine, and he is now saying that Voom pretty much sucks, and that most of what he is seeing is not really HD. So, he's going to have me put in a Dish system, and will probably return the Voom. Does anyone know if they will want the dish back?

Voom sends out a de-install work order just like an install work order, a tech shows up and takes the equipment out. I havn't ever been able to get any mailing labels to send anything back, so my shed is full of IRD's and my woodline is full of dishes and antenna's. Kind of makes doing installs easy.
I get the RG6, ground blocks and everything else if their not using them. Course whats one more dish more or less. ;)

#14 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:49 PM

Voom sends out a de-install work order just like an install work order, a tech shows up and takes the equipment out. I havn't ever been able to get any mailing labels to send anything back, so my shed is full of IRD's and my woodline is full of dishes and antenna's. Kind of makes doing installs easy.
I get the RG6, ground blocks and everything else if their not using them. Course whats one more dish more or less. ;)

Well, I guess they will like me, cause I am taking it all out tomorrow morning for them.

#15 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:42 AM

Looks like you're the 1 in 5, Larry. :)

According to the news I posted here this morning, the other 4 in 5 of us may be involuntarily joining you soon. I hope not, but I'm a realist. Voom is only up to 25K subs, and that's after their "free" deal ran for several months. I thought they would have signed a lot more than (not then) 100k subs during the promotion. If those that want more HD programming won't sign up at $0 down, what makes anyone think they will buy in at any amount higher than that? Voom needs 'millions', not just thousands. What are all those "millions of HDTV purchasers" watching anyway -- DVDs? Certainly not much HD from cable, E* or D*.

Looks like Voom may have over-estimated the current demand for high-end HD programming, or was it the naysayers here and elsewhere that scared potential subs away?

Who knows? :shrug: I'm not saying it's over (yet), but if it is, it was a good ride while it lasted. Speaking for the 4 in 5, I will hate to see Voom go the way of the Pet Rock.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#16 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:13 AM

Like I pointed out before, most Voom subs have something in addition to Voom. And, most people only have 1 HDTV. If you have 4 TVS, and only 1 HD, then why would you want 4 HD receivers? This is where D* and E* have the advantage since you aren't required to have an overkilled box for every TV that doesn't need it. People who can afford to buy a high end HDTV can genereally afford to pay for 2 services. However, there are a lot of us out there who are waiting for the prices to get realistic before we make that jump. IF Voom had more regular programming AND a standard receiver option, they would be much better off. Plus, lack of a DVR when now is the take off for DVRs isn't helping them. I hope they can make it, because it's always about choice. But with E* and D* to the point where they can afford to easiy subsidize new subs, Voom has the deck stacked against them.

#17 OFFLINE   larrystotler

larrystotler

Hall Of Fame

• Gold Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:21 PM

Well, I found the problem with his voom install. The installer lagged the mount into the roof and didn't manage to even hit a roof truss. The damn thing wobbled all over the place. I showed it to him, and he wasn't happy. The Voom had to go on the roof due to the location of the sat. Other than the fact that the installer ran the wiring right down the siding instead of going to the gutter or something it wasn't too bad. Heck, it was even grounded properly. Like I said before, they need to start picking their subs better and paying better if they want to make it. He's much happier now that he has a DVR and a HD receiver on his HD set. Another Voom subscriber gone bye-bye. It's unfortunate. They have a good idea and a decent product for those that want it. :(

Protected By... spam firewall...And...