Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Voom no more

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 09:05 PM

Well, our 3 month experiment with Voom came to an end. My better half was giving me a bit too much heat over the poor return on investment. I had to admit she was right. There just wasn't that much on Voom that we enjoyed watching that we weren't already getting with E*. Our deinstaller said we weren't alone. His guess is that Voom's customer retention rate is around 20%.

How many of the rest of you have split or are leaning that direction?? For those of you who are sticking around, what's kept you sold??
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jagouar

jagouar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:25 AM

I just signed up and dont see any reason to leave even if most of their HD channels suck. They have the best deal for programming right now.... 50 bucks a month for most of the cable channels and the best Hd channels. I had dish top60 and it was ok but I cna get mostly the same channels plus a few more (only wish they had scifi and the regional fox sports).

But your not tied to a year contract like you are if you get the dish 811.... Hdnet content blows and I dont understand why people have to have HDnet, it used to be worth having (and I did have it when they had decent content) when they had the hockey and mlb contracts but they dont have anything good anymore and that wont change as the big boys are starting to line up for HD.

All I wanted was ESPN and TNT and Discovery, VOOM delivers that and alot more..... Plus I see them as the most willing to add new HD channels (sans locals) because thats the whole driving force behind their company. So when other channels start coming online I think VOOM will be the first to add them or atleast be the most willing. I want scifi in HD one of these days and I would see VOOM having that before DirecTV and certainly dish. Unless dish adds a bunch of channels when direcTV does they will be screwed in the HD arena.

#3 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 10:52 AM

I'm staying with VOOM because I see it as an investment in the future. I think once their DVR is out (later this year, probably) there won't be anyone who can beat their deal.
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#4 OFFLINE   mrdectown

mrdectown

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 12:04 PM

Yea i am with you guys on this. Voom is everything i ask for. All i ever wanted was to watch STARZ!,MAXHD,ENCOREHD, you get my point. DIsh has none of that. I have a 811 but its hasent been used since i got voom. Lets face it HDNET and that other one sucks. And i figured the least they could do was have a east and west feed of HBO and SHOWTIME. but Chucky aint wit it. The only reason i still have dish now is because of NWA:TNA. Any voom rocks blah blah blah sorry you dont like it blah blah blah. so long
You will be judged harshly for your incompetence!!
So sayeth rhonda from the 7th level of yore!!!!!

#5 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 01:34 PM

I've got 2 teenage daughters and they tend to monopolize the TV at night. Yeah there are other sets in the house, but the family room is the one we've got set up for REAL viewing pleasure.

I first thought Voom would catch on with them, but it didn't, not one lick. I was the only one in the house and at night it became a wrasslin' match over the remote. Fun while it lasted, maybe after another 6 months or so when everything sorts out we'll be back.
John Anthony
E* since ‘96

#6 OFFLINE   jagouar

jagouar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 02:07 PM

I've got 2 teenage daughters and they tend to monopolize the TV at night. Yeah there are other sets in the house, but the family room is the one we've got set up for REAL viewing pleasure.

I first thought Voom would catch on with them, but it didn't, not one lick. I was the only one in the house and at night it became a wrasslin' match over the remote. Fun while it lasted, maybe after another 6 months or so when everything sorts out we'll be back.

What channels does VOOM not have that your daughters watched? It seems to me atleast that the cable favorites are only the "good" ones on direcTV/dish sans a few like scifi and the regional fox sports like I mentioned? You get alot of really crappy stations with dish/direct like shopping channels and public interest crap nobody ever watches..... I like the stance voom is taking on this where they will only have one package and its only the "good" channels.

#7 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:57 PM

What channels does VOOM not have that your daughters watched? It seems to me atleast that the cable favorites are only the "good" ones on direcTV/dish sans a few like scifi and the regional fox sports like I mentioned? You get alot of really crappy stations with dish/direct like shopping channels and public interest crap nobody ever watches..... I like the stance voom is taking on this where they will only have one package and its only the "good" channels.

Good points. I suspect with my daughters it was a case of familiarity and convenience. With E*, they knew where to find all of their channels quickly and easily. The channel guide on Voom is not as user friendly, at least not yet.
John Anthony
E* since ‘96

#8 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:21 PM

I have em all and like em all!

With VOOM I can get the HD channels the others don't have. Miss not having a DVR though.

#9 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:25 PM

I have em all and like em all!

With VOOM I can get the HD channels the others don't have. Miss not having a DVR though.

In our case, we have to draw the line some place. We dumped about $30K into new equipment and hand built enclosures so my better half gives me major grief when she pays the "software" bills and doesn't think we're getting good bang for the buck.
John Anthony
E* since ‘96

#10 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,276 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:57 PM

You let children decide what YOU watch? I'm not going to say what I think of that. :rolleyes:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#11 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:00 PM

You let children decide what YOU watch? I'm not going to say what I think of that. :rolleyes:

I have two very bright, very verbal teenagers. If they can watch the West Wing, American Chopper, and a bunch of testosterone DVDs, I figure I can watch OC, Dawson's Creek, and the Gilmore Girls with them!!! :lol: Considering where they might be on a warm summer's eve, watching one of the above is the least of my problems!!
John Anthony
E* since ‘96

#12 OFFLINE   boatman

boatman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 10:04 AM

We have had VOOM for about 4 months now and are very happy. We have the 2 STB setup with locals. 1 in the home theater room and the other on a Mits in the bedroom. We still have basic dish in the family room with 501 DVR for HGTV and so my wife can record her stories. There is so much HD to chose from we watch programs we never would if they weren't in HD. I don't see changing anytime in the near future. As soon as VOOM comes out with their DVR basic dish will be gone.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...