Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best Buy Credit Card info

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   VA_Joe

VA_Joe

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 01:55 PM

I just tried to buy a HD Tivo at Best Buy here in VA. They wanted me to fill out a hand written paper with my Credit Card info on it. They say this is required by Directv for fraud prevention. When I called Directv, they say they do not require this.

If I am already a Directv customer, why on earth would they need my hand written application with Credit info.

Best buy will not sell me the unit without filling out the sheet.

Does anybody know if this is required, or if there is an alternative method for verification?

Thanks in Advance,
Joe

#2 OFFLINE   ImmerTech

ImmerTech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale

Posted 27 July 2004 - 01:59 PM

I purchased from Circuit City online and filled out no such paper. I did however notice that in the small print there was text stating that if I did not activate the TIVO within 30 days there would be an additional charge to my Credit Card. I believe this is done because most of the receivers you purchase today are subsidized by DirecTV and the store doesn't get the extra money unless you subscribe. My guess is that the piece of paper they wanted you to sign was something about that.

I suggest you order it from their website for store pickup. Then you can take your time reading the fine print.

- ImmerTech

#3 OFFLINE   VA_Joe

VA_Joe

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:28 PM

Thanks,

The only reason I need to buy it at the store is that I have $800 in Reward coupons.

I don't really have a problem subscribing through them, just don't want to write down my card number and have it faxed around, etc.

I'll probably relent, since I have waited tooo long as it is. :)

#4 OFFLINE   ImmerTech

ImmerTech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale

Posted 27 July 2004 - 03:32 PM

... I have $800 in Reward coupons.

Wow. $800 in reward dollars. That is a lot of DVDs. I hope some of that is from a HDTV.

-ImmerTech

#5 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:08 PM

I remember filling out a bunch of papers for the 8 I bought at BestBuy(sold 6 on EBAY)I'm not sure if it's the same thing you're talking about. It's been 2 months for the first 5 and 1.5 months for the last 3 I bought. I haven't seen anything on my Credit card showing any type of charge.

#6 OFFLINE   VA_Joe

VA_Joe

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 01:19 PM

Oh yeah, Plasma, and the works. That WOULD be a load of DVD's! :D

Been waiting so long for the coupons, then they never had the Tivo unti in the store.

I'm just gonna get the damn thing tonight.

Thanks for the help.

#7 OFFLINE   DonLandis

DonLandis

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 12:46 PM

VA Joe- The Rewards coupons cap out at $70 per month or quarter, can't recall. I think it is per month. I got screwed out of $130 worth for that reason. I have gotten over $400 in rebate checks but that isn't the same thing. I also complained to the Rewards manager national because the manager at Best Buy didn't want to debate it with me so she called this guy up and he told me to go read the fine print. As an act of apology for my misunderstanding of the rules the guy did shift 2 of my computer purchases on the dates so I could get the Rewards checks next month. He told me to space my purchases out next time so I don't lose the rewards checks. The other thing I learned is the Rewards checks have a 90 day expiration so you have to use them promptly too.
One final question- Did those rewards coupons come in $10 each? Mine did.

#8 OFFLINE   jsheldon

jsheldon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 06:47 PM

VA Joe- The Rewards coupons cap out at $70 per month or quarter, can't recall. I think it is per month. I got screwed out of $130 worth for that reason. ...

Don,

Here's a link to the Reward Zone Rules... I don't believe that there is a monthly (or quarterly) limit. My first use was for speakers and a receiver package plus some misc at about $2400 - I received a $90 pack of nine $10 Certs. The "kickback" is 4 per cent back AND about every 4-6 weeks they mail me a package of 10 per cent off coupons usable the following weekend. If I were making a big purchase at Best Buy I would use my Reward Zone Card, wait for that 10% coupon, use my MC (1 per cent back & dobles the presumed one-year guarantee.)

Jerry

Edit: Ooops, here's the link:

http://rewardzoneonl...erms_conditions

#9 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:43 AM

This reward zone program is a great deal. A $5 coupon only needs a $10 minimum purchase so I use them for DVDs. This is on top of the fact that I usually buy my DVDs the first week they come out when they are priced at $15.99 a disc so I get ANOTHER $.64 off the price when you figure in the coupon savings.....
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   stuart628

stuart628

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:14 PM

This reward zone program is a great deal. A $5 coupon only needs a $10 minimum purchase so I use them for DVDs. This is on top of the fact that I usually buy my DVDs the first week they come out when they are priced at $15.99 a disc so I get ANOTHER $.64 off the price when you figure in the coupon savings.....

I do love the reward zone program, especially when I can talk my Whole family that since they dont shop at best buy the reward zone wouldnt work for them and for them to go throw there purchases on my account, so far I have had 3 hdtvs, and 4 surrond sound systems, and many other small purchases thrown on my account from my aunts uncles, mom and dad, I love it

spam firewall