Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Voom announces new package prices

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:25 PM

As of August 1, Voom monthly programming costs have increased and new sub start-up fees have been reinstated, but two sign-up options are now offered.

See details HERE.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RobR

RobR

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 10:30 PM

Ok, little intimidated to be the first to comment after hundreds of views... but what the heck...

This is very annoying news, not only because I was left sitting on that fence, but seems to me to be a very poor decision overall.

Why now? Seems to me they haven't hooked enough of a base to pull this yet. They aren't even offering more for the increased rates.

Doesn't make sense, all I can think of is it's because they are attempting to take a new direction (premier service) and give the appearance to stand on better ground before they're spun off.

If that's the case, then go ballz out and ditch the regular SD channels... just offer the best and most HD in town. Or, at least seperate the packages... but dang contracts may have something to do with those pesky SDs. (More like VDs) :D

Also, tuff taking the high road right now when you don't offer a significant difference, and/or a complete package like the others AND no DVR. Just stupid timing by Cablevision... guess they're concerned about themselves right now. Someone is gonna have to put a whole lot of spit on that polish to sell this to the crowd.

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 08:00 AM

Good comments, Rob.

Sorry you got left on the fence. Bummer. I jumped on the $0 Voom deal when the first 'deadline' loomed - IIRC, it was 5/31. Although I'm glad I did, I'm not sure I would go for the new deal, especially with the new package price bumps. But for those of us who want more than just a handful of HD channels, Voom is the only game in town for the present.

...ditch the regular SD channels... just offer the best and most HD in town.

I've thought of that as well, it would only work for those who have another provider, be it DBS or cable. I'm too far away for OTA, so keeping DBS or cable is a must for me. In addition, I don't think there are enough high-end HT type consumers out there yet to make an HD-only Voom a viable service.

If I could receive my locals OTA, I might consider Voom as my only DBS provider.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   jagouar

jagouar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 10:49 AM

Many of us cant afford to pay voom 60 bucks a month ontop of the 40 for regular dish too.... I want a sat service that has HD and a good SD package so I dont have to sub to 2 packages.

It would also make sense that they want to limit the number of new subs right now with the impending rollout of the new dishes and modules. We would see an 811 fiasco all over again where they wouldnt have stock for 6 months. Once they get the new dishes straightened out I would think well see a new 0 upfont promotion.

#5 OFFLINE   RobR

RobR

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 11:19 PM

Many of us cant afford to pay voom 60 bucks a month ontop of the 40 for regular dish too.... I want a sat service that has HD and a good SD package so I dont have to sub to 2 packages.

It would also make sense that they want to limit the number of new subs right now with the impending rollout of the new dishes and modules. We would see an 811 fiasco all over again where they wouldnt have stock for 6 months. Once they get the new dishes straightened out I would think well see a new 0 upfont promotion.

Most interesting points... maybe they were clearing out inventory to make way for some of the rumored hardware to come. Maybe they'll lump new hardware announcements with the spin-off. Clear out what they can, and get more sign-ups when their new hardware gets advertised along with the spin-off. They'll need to keep their base from ditching until then though, (those who didn't pay much may be more inclined to leave) maybe some hardware upgrade promos for current customers. I love rumor and speculation. :D

I'd still like to see them split up the packages, just gives folks more options.

#6 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:42 PM

Rob, I agree.

Voom is now @ $49.0, with movie packages a la carte. Va Va Voom is now @ $89.90 which includes everything VOOM offers. Still not much of a choice, but then there's always the Playboy Hot HD channel as an attractive option! :D

I think VOOM is looking for channels to add, and they will most likely add HD 'specials' like they did recently with the Tyson-Williams prize fight in HD. I'm not much of a fight fan, but I watched both the undercards and the main event because it was presented in Hi Def. One of the undercards with Ali's daughter was the first time I've seen women fight outside of a bar.

Also, I've noticed that since I got an HDTV almost a year ago, I tend to watch a lot of things in HD that I probably wouldn't have watched in SD. For me, the enjoyment factor is so much greater with HD.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

Protected By... spam firewall...And...