Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CBS HD SAT Channels 80 & 81

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bullitt

bullitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 11:25 PM

Should these channels be broadcasting a full 16 x 9 HD Image when the program guide indicates HD. I was watching PGA Golf this afternoon and Image was cropped on sides with both channels. Another odd thing was that sides on one channel were gray and other channel was black. I called DTV and they gave me no help one CSR claiming that it's up to the broadcaster and another claiming I needed waivers for HD even though I've had waivers for almost 3 years on distant locals.
All other HD Channels display as advertised even OTA's.

Can someone shed some light?
:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 02 August 2004 - 07:25 AM

The golf wasn't broadcast in HD. Check with CBS for the reason why.

#3 OFFLINE   jpoklop

jpoklop

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 08:39 AM

Another odd thing was that sides on one channel were gray and other channel was black.

The color of the sidebars is set at the receiver for 4x3 material. Although mine is set for black, sometime I will get gray. When I playback the recording, it will usually change back to black. In the case of ESPN, the sidebars (ESPN-HD logo) are added to the 4x3 SD datastream and then broadcast as 16x9.

#4 OFFLINE   bullitt

bullitt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the Reply's, too bad no one at D* has a clue. They could lessen the burden on their CSR's if they actually trained each one instead of having to call 8 times only to get 7 answers. :nono2:

I tried CSI Miami tonight and it was full screen in HD. :)

spam firewall