Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Time-Warner NYC Loses Regional Sports Nets

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,215 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 02 August 2004 - 10:34 AM

Time Warner NYC Loses Regional Sports Nets

The latest programming carriage skirmish has led to the loss of two regional sports nets - MSG and Fox Sports New York - on Time Warner Cable systems serving the New York City area.

The channels, which are controlled by Cablevision, went dark Sunday (8/1) at 12 a.m. Reports said the loss of the channels impacts more than 1.4 million New York area cable customers.

The two channels broadcast games for New York Mets baseball as well as New York Knicks basketball and New York Rangers hockey. The skirmish also includes a third channel, Metro Channel, which carries local news.

Prior to the shut-off, Time Warner Cable said it would provide customers a rebate of $2 a month should the channels go dark.

SkyReport (Used with permission)

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:39 AM

Cool, $2 off your cable bill in NY. I HATE the RSNs and ESPN because they cost so much and I never watch them. There should be a premium sports package for say $5 more a month. And cut the normal bill by the same of course.

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:55 AM

Why is "FOX" Sports Net controlled by Cablevision?
Mike Richardson

#4 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 01:15 PM

Cable Vision owns a number of Fox Sports Nets, it's just a name. Have a look:

FSN Bay Area
FSN Chicago
FSN Florida
FSN New England
FSN Ohio
FSN New York
MSG

#5 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 03:11 PM

Weren't the above the old Sportschannel ones?

#6 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 03:24 PM

This is why MSO's should not be allowed to own Channels.
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

#7 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 03:30 PM

Weren't the above the old Sportschannel ones?

Yep all of these Rainbow owned Fox Sports Nets used to be SportsChannel, sans MSG. Fox Sports Cincy also used to be SC.

Too bad it’s just TW NYC, not TW Syracuse and TW Rochester too, DirecTV would gain a whole load of new subscribers. I enjoy having four blackout free RSNs at my disposal. (thank you D* for carrying all four NY state RSNs and making them available in the basic programming packages, unlike the other satellite provider)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#8 OFFLINE   mattb

mattb

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 06:02 PM

Glad to see Time Warner stand up.. Glad to see Charlie is not the only one willing to tell these expensive cable channel opreators that customers want fair rates.

#9 OFFLINE   JohnL

JohnL

Icon

• Registered
  • 701 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:37 AM

Too bad it’s just TW NYC, not TW Syracuse and TW Rochester too, DirecTV would gain a whole load of new subscribers. I enjoy having four blackout free RSNs at my disposal. (thank you D* for carrying all four NY state RSNs and making them available in the basic programming packages, unlike the other satellite provider)

Steve,

I don't know about Time Warner Syracuse, but Time Warner Rochester has removed MSG and Fox Sports New York. This is great news for the sports fan (NOT) as of now there is NO platform in our area to get all of the regional sports rights we COULD receive on any other platform other than DirecTV. TW now doesn't carry MSG or FOX Sports NY, and Dish Network doesn't carry YES.

John

spam firewall