Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Message from Senator Allen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,814 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:05 PM

This is a reply from Senator George Allen of Virginia. It's a lot better than Barbara BoXer's boilerplate response.

Dear Mark:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the reauthorization of the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act (SHVIA). I appreciate your concerns and value the opportunity to respond.

According to the Federal Communications Commission, there are over 107 million American homes that are considered television households. Of those television households, over 16 million use direct broadcast satellite (DBS) as their primary source of receiving television signals. In 1999, Congress passed SHVIA which extended and expanded the previous provisions of the 1988 Satellite Home Viewer Act (SHVA). The goal of SHVIA was to ensure that as many households as possible could have access to local programming and allow consumers more choices in television programming and service providers.

As you may be aware, SHVIA is set to expire on December 31, 2004. I am fully aware of the importance of DBS services for television consumers, especially those consumers located in rural and small market areas who rely on such services. I believe it is the role of government to promote, protect and preserve competition within our economy in order to ensure continued success especially within the telecommunications industry.

While I am a strong advocate for market-based approaches, I do believe it is important that current government policy accurately reflects current technology. Among the key issues surrounding SHVIA, the definitional issue of “digital white areas” and the service issue of the “must carry” provision are two areas of concern and considerable confusion. I support the reauthorization of SHVIA and I will continue to work diligently to ensure that the interests of both rural and urban communities are best served while preserving a fair and consumer-friendly market.

Once again, I appreciate you alerting me to this matter and please do not hesitate to contact me again about issues important to you. If you would like to receive an e-mail newsletter about my initiatives to improve America, please sign up on my website (<http://allen.senate.gov>). It is an honor to serve you in the United States Senate, and I look forward to working with you to make Virginia and America a better place to live, learn, work and raise a family.

Sincerely,

Senator George Allen
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steveox

Steveox

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 02:43 PM

You see the republicans are for freedom & independance.Thats why its very importaint to vote out the liberals on election day so we can get more channels on DBS systems.

#3 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:21 PM

This is a reply from Senator George Allen of Virginia. It's a lot better than Barbara BoXer's boilerplate response.

Whether it is "boilerplate" or not, trusting anything from George Allen is a huge mistake. He ran Virginia into the ground. The only reason he's a Senator now is because of Northern Virginia. The rest of the state wouldn't waste spit on him.

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#4 OFFLINE   HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 5,124 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:23 PM

You see the republicans are for freedom & independance.Thats why its very importaint to vote out the liberals on election day so we can get more channels on DBS systems.

Yes, a country completely run by one single ideology is so very efficient. Just look at how well that worked for Germany and Italy in the 1930s, the USSR, Cuba....

Some people stand up for what they believe even when confronted by staggering amounts of opposition. Those people used to be admired. Now they're simply beaten down until they dare not stand for anything anymore.

#5 OFFLINE   Steveox

Steveox

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:30 PM

Well liberalism is ruining america. The democratic party has been in more scandels and corruption than the G.O.P. I disagree with liberalism and it doesnt work.

#6 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 05:08 PM

Thats why its very importaint to vote out the liberals on election day so we can get more channels on DBS systems.

Silly me, when I think of the primary forces preventing "more channels", I think of the NAB and the corporate consolidation of channel ownership. I had not previously thought of the NAB or corporate media owners (and there's a lot of overlap there) as "liberals".

Could you please enlighten me how the liberals are keeping us from seeing more channels on our DBS systems?
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,814 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 August 2004 - 06:50 PM

You are reminded that this is for the discussion of the SHIVA legislation only. Any other political issues belong in the Potpourri forum. Thank you. - Holtz

#8 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:26 PM

Thank you Mark - I was going to rant on them - but then I'd be exceeding my non-existent authority. :D
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

spam firewall