Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Rumor: More DirecTV High Definition Info

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   tahoerob

tahoerob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 05:54 PM

Still, I must agree, D*TV could do something about adding more HD, ASAP, i.e. TNT-HD. Dish has been getting TNT-HD since the western conference finals back in May, along with Law and Order (sorry but it's a great show), some NASCAR, as well as other programming. I watch TNT quite a bit and would love to have it in HD. Why we don't get it, I'm pretty sure, is a contract negotiaton that is going slowly.

Also, will they be offering USA-HD anytime? Just curious, they show a lot of movies and etc.
Thanks,

I have TNT-HD with Dish. Most of the shows & movies are upconverted & stretched. However, they look great compared to the SD TNT channel. It seems that more movies might be HD. Example: The show Angel that was run on WB. The TNT-HD version is great to watch. Clearer PQ, you can actually see details in the constantly dark environments that were all a blur on SD locals via sat.
Robert
(moved from Virginia to Idaho 8/05)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 02:22 PM

I have TNT-HD with Dish. Most of the shows & movies are upconverted & stretched. However, they look great compared to the SD TNT channel. It seems that more movies might be HD. Example: The show Angel that was run on WB. The TNT-HD version is great to watch. Clearer PQ, you can actually see details in the constantly dark environments that were all a blur on SD locals via sat.

Isn't Law and Order in HD? Seems like everytime I watch it in on DirecTV it says "presented in HighDefinition by ..." Also, is ESPN-HD not broadcasting in surround sound? All the other HD channels work on my surround sound but ESPN. Thanks,
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#28 OFFLINE   simon

simon

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 02:23 PM

Bravo HD is fine but what about TNT HD ?

#29 Guest_jjj_*

Guest_jjj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2004 - 03:54 PM

does anyone know the approx number of people who subscribe to D*'s HD package? How does it compare to Vooms subscriber base?

#30 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 08:29 PM

All the other HD channels work on my surround sound but ESPN. Thanks,

ESPN does their own "circle surround" which almost no A/V receivers support. So unless your receiver doesn, it will come across most likely as just plain old regular stereo.

#31 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 08:30 PM

does anyone know the approx number of people who subscribe to D*'s HD package? How does it compare to Vooms subscriber base?

VOOM's total subscriber base is 38,000 last number I saw. DirecTV was well into the hundreds of thousands, same for Dish.

#32 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,600 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 08:36 PM

But, how many subscribe to the HD package was the question. Or possibly just HBOHD or SHOHD?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#33 OFFLINE   hongcho

hongcho

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 04:01 PM

With the recent 6-month free HD Package, I am sure that will increase by quite a lot...

Hong.
i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe

#34 OFFLINE   Shappyss

Shappyss

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 08:52 PM

Does anyone think that the NY and LA feeds of the WB and UPN will ever be in HD through D*? Is there such a thing as the National Feed of these two networks?

#35 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,600 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 12:10 PM

Currently, there's no such thing, although they might be able to use those that Dish uses. I have read somewhere that DirecTV is at least looking into a WB feed similar to the cable only versions. If they do, they should also carry the HD version.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#36 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:09 PM

Quick question, if I'm getting the Olympic HD feed on channel 84 does that mean I'm going to get the NBC-HD feed over the satellite (I am correct that they are doing that - like CBS)? Also, what about ABC-HD over the satellite? I don't ever see anyone really mention that. I would prefer that over the WB and UPN (sorry guys). I don't even thing we have an OTA digital signal here anyway. Thanks,
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#37 OFFLINE   hongcho

hongcho

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:13 PM

I believe the Olympics HD is a bit different since it includes O&O (there are 14 NBC O&Os) and some non-O&O affiliates that agreed to the HD broadcast.

Hong.
i have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- edgar allan poe

#38 OFFLINE   THancock

THancock

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:29 PM

Quick question, if I'm getting the Olympic HD feed on channel 84 does that mean I'm going to get the NBC-HD feed over the satellite (I am correct that they are doing that - like CBS)? Also, what about ABC-HD over the satellite? I don't ever see anyone really mention that. I would prefer that over the WB and UPN (sorry guys). I don't even thing we have an OTA digital signal here anyway. Thanks,

You will get both NBC HD and Fox HD from D*, since both the B'ham local Fox and NBC stations are O&O stations.

And we do have WB and UPN digital (480i) stations here in B'ham. The engineer at WB has stated they're going HD some time around the end of the year or first of next year. No word on our UPN's HD status.

Tom

#39 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 12:15 AM

You will get both NBC HD and Fox HD from D*, since both the B'ham local Fox and NBC stations are O&O stations.

And we do have WB and UPN digital (480i) stations here in B'ham. The engineer at WB has stated they're going HD some time around the end of the year or first of next year. No word on our UPN's HD status.

Tom

That makes me very happy. Thanks for the info, Tom.
N8

#40 OFFLINE   DNewton

DNewton

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:43 PM

Thanks to this board, I realized yesterday that I was getting the NBC Olympic HD feed here in Birmingham (Thanks for letting me know D*) and my wife is thrilled. I welcome any more network HD feeds from D* since local reception (mine at least) is pretty crappy. DirecTV had better get some more HD in a hurry because I am close to leaving them for Voom. If my wife (and myself as well) weren't so pleased with out DirecTiVo service now, we would have already left. TiVo saved a long time D* subscriber (since 96) from leaving...so far. My wife wants to buy the HD DirecTiVo, but I won't do it until I see more HD coming in on my mini-dish.

#41 OFFLINE   hongcho

hongcho

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:25 PM

Trying Voom is an "educational" experience. Well, at least for me. :P Alabama might be a better location to receive their signals, though...

Hong.

#42 Guest_rkr0923_*

Guest_rkr0923_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:57 PM

unless you want your ass kicked by your wife......don't bother with Voom

#43 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,600 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 07:43 AM

And the guest makes a silent remark referencing what?

For those interested in HDTV head on over to the AVS HDTV forums.
http://www.avsforum....hp?s=&forumid=6

#44 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,430 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 22 August 2004 - 03:59 AM

unless you want your ass kicked by your wife...

:thats: To see that, I would pay money, which is the same as cash :sure:

...don't bother with Voom

...and the troll speaks, yet, says nothing.

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#45 OFFLINE   vstone

vstone

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:04 PM

I think the last of the locals are being moved this week and may have been moved last week. Roanoke was moved last Tuesday.

I theorize that they are setting something up for HD coverage, but its probably just NFL HD coverage.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...