Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Review of the new HDTV Tivo vs. Microsoft's Media Center

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Thomas Hawk

Thomas Hawk

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:51 PM

I wrote a review comparing the new Hughes HR10-250 Tivo unit vs. Microsoft's Media Center Edition at:

http://thomashawk.co...vo-hdtv-vs.html

Tom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 06 August 2004 - 06:08 AM

Does the Media Center Edition record HD?

#3 OFFLINE   Thomas Hawk

Thomas Hawk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:56 PM

No, the Media Center Edition does not record HD. This is part of the problem.

#4 OFFLINE   CoriBright

CoriBright

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:59 PM

MCE HD is coming. And that's all I know.
Cari
www.coribright.com
www.juganet.com
www.jaredletochat.com
www.doausa.com

#5 OFFLINE   Thomas Hawk

Thomas Hawk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:57 PM

MCE HD is coming. And that's all I know.

I sincerely doubt it any time soon... although this would be a nice surprise.

Tom

#6 Guest_vreegvfd_*

Guest_vreegvfd_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2004 - 12:27 PM

a couple of inaccuracies:

DVD player.. you say MCE wins because Tivo doesn't have one, but then say MCE's has never worked right for you.. If it doesn't work right then best case is they both tie for last IMHO.

tivo community is one of the most active user groups out there. certainly bigger than anything that exists for MCE.

You can get a DirecTV service plan for $7.99/month which covers ALL boxes in your house. If your HD Tivo breaks down you just have them ship you a new one. And it covers ALL receivers in your house, even if you have 6+ HD Tivos.

Overall it was a fairly decent look at things, though again you fail to mention or at least make any importance of the factor that MCE can't record HD. Also the above issues were wrong.

#7 OFFLINE   Flyboy917

Flyboy917

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 11:35 PM

My two cents:
Media Center PC's are the lazy mans means to Home Theater PC (HTPC).
Yes it's really nice to have an OS geared (out of the box) to home theater/media and maybe someday they WILL be the cats meow. But if you are willing to spend the time, effort, and $$$ you can build an HTPC that will do EVERYTHING nicely. No, it will never be a Tivo...unless your HTPC is linux based and you......well, we won't go there.

Anyhow, I'm off on a tangent...there are lot's of PVR's out there now from lots of companies. There is not one of them that comes close to Tivo. Period.

Hmmm. With Tivo's future in question, I wonder if marketing their software to HTPC users has ever been considered???

Flyboy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...