Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

C-Band Subs Drop, Slowing Evident

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 04:24 AM

Throughout the past two to three months, C-Band subscribers have yet to fully subside from their tumult, but there is some evidence of slowing over March and April.

According to the Motorola Access Control Center, March subscribers dropped 17,058 and gained 127 gross authorizations. April's subscriber numbers saw a decrease of 18,795 with 96 gross authorizations. This brings the current total to 732,368 cumulative subscribers for C-Band.

When compared to past months, March and April have shown a dramatic step in a "slowing" direction that's been foreseen for more than a year. Initially, C-Band subs dropped dramatically upon the news of the EchoStar/DirecTV merger, now there seems to be a deceleration in the amount of subscribers ditching the big dish.

The National Programming Service (NPS), a programming provider for C-Band subscribers, is offering consumers a $25 rebate when they order Showtime during an upcoming free preview of the premium network on June 21-23.

For more information on C-Band and 4DTV, visit www.4dtv.com. For more information on NPS, visit www.dsinps.com.

From SkyRetailer (Used with Permission)
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 09:51 AM

I don't believe that the merger announcement had anything to do with the loss of c-band customers.

Recently, Motorola has been dumping 4DTV sidecars, an add on unit that allows users to subscribe to certain c-band digital channels, on the market for around $100 per unit. These puppies used to sell for $300 to $400. Maybe this is stemming the mass defections?
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#3 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 12:11 PM

Nah, I am one of those gross ones for April. :lol:
I added another Dish and receiver. Now have 2 with subscriptions.

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2002 - 07:36 AM

I bet a lot of those new 4DTV subs were Star Choice HD customers who added the 905 sidecar to their 921 model receivers in order to get HBO/Showtime HD

#5 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 10:08 AM

We're thinking of activating a premium channel subscription on the old analog bud so we can record off the BUD but still be able to watch E* for regular stuff. With 2 small kids we end up watching movies at odd hours, so we like to record our stuff and watch when the little ones are in bed.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2002 - 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Steve Mehs
Throughout the past two to three months, C-Band subscribers have yet to fully subside from their tumult, but there is some evidence of slowing over March and April.

According to the Motorola Access Control Center, March subscribers dropped 17,058 and gained 127 gross authorizations. April's subscriber numbers saw a decrease of 18,795 with 96 gross authorizations. This brings the current total to 732,368 cumulative subscribers for C-Band.

When compared to past months, March and April have shown a dramatic step in a "slowing" direction that's been foreseen for more than a year. Initially, C-Band subs dropped dramatically upon the news of the EchoStar/DirecTV merger, now there seems to be a deceleration in the amount of subscribers ditching the big dish.

The National Programming Service (NPS), a programming provider for C-Band subscribers, is offering consumers a $25 rebate when they order Showtime during an upcoming free preview of the premium network on June 21-23.

For more information on C-Band and 4DTV, visit www.4dtv.com. For more information on NPS, visit www.dsinps.com.

From SkyRetailer (Used with Permission)

I hope that C-band survives.
Dbs is EVIL EVIL EVIL I tell you.
It's just "cable in the sky".
C-band/4DTV is TRUE satellite television and I hope it survives forever.

#7 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 22 May 2002 - 02:21 PM

C Band WILL survive.

After all where do you think DBS gets all their programming? :D

As long as there are C Band Signals being broadcast there will be cunsumer equipment available to get those signals.

#8 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 09:56 AM

The problem for consumer c-band users is that the move from analog to digital is resulting in several digital platforms being adopted, not just a single format. ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WB and UPN have chosen different digital formats, with one opting for high speed internet feeds for its news service. Thus the consumer needs to purchase several different, very high priced digital receivers to pick up this programming. And if the feeds go scrambled, then you have a $4,000 doorstop.

Most "cable" channels are using the 4Dtv format and with the low priced sidecars, that's good for consumers. But the eventual loss of the network feeds and most wild feeds is a big loss for c band.

#9 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 05:31 PM

When I was in upstate NY (the land of C-Band dishes) for the Memorial Day weekend, I noticed the decline of C-Band first-hand. Many BUDs are overgrown with weeds/trees/bushes/vines and some are heavily rusted or partially dismantled. Some of them have Dish Network or DirecTV dishes attached to them. I'm guessing that those people no longer use those C-Band dishes anymore. Only a few BUDs are kept in good condition so that it looks like they are still in use.

I guess the article that Steve posted is correct, at least in upstate NY!

spam firewall