Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

DBS US to Canada

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mark143_*

Guest_Mark143_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:01 AM

I have a vacation house in british columbia, canada. Is it possible to bring any US based digital satellite there? I heard it can reached that area but I don't know how far. I travel between those two countires often & my family and I don't want to miss our favorite programs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ayalbaram

ayalbaram

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 09:39 AM

I believe Dish should work up there provided there are no trees or buildings blocking your LOS, but I don't think you are allowed to do so as per dish's rules and fcc regulations.

#3 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:46 AM

Get yourself the IDENTICAL dish hardware you've got at home and hook it up. Do your best to make it non-obvious. Carry your receiver back and forth - and also don't be obvious about it. Don't plug your receiver into a phone line up there - I mean it.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#4 Guest_Mark143_*

Guest_Mark143_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2004 - 07:52 PM

Thanks. The canadian government is very lax on implementing laws on US based DBS. I was wondering if VOOM can reach that area as well. It has the most HD channel

#5 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:32 AM

Thanks. The canadian government is very lax on implementing laws on US based DBS. I was wondering if VOOM can reach that area as well. It has the most HD channel

Lax? Do you not know about Bill C-2? It was the Liberal's first priority under Paul Martin and would have banned the importation of US DBS receivers among other things.

As for VOOM working in BC, as long as you are not way north, you should be OK.

#6 Guest_Mark143_*

Guest_Mark143_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:01 PM

Thanks. I was hoping it can reach the outskirts of downtown vancouver like burnaby. South

Let's see how they are going to implement that law

Protected By... spam firewall...And...