Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Aspect Ratio Question h10-250

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   robocomp

robocomp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:01 PM

Aspect Ratio Question h10-250

I initially set my aspect ration up as 16:9, but when I go to sd programs and want to stretch the picture on my panny ed 42" it wont let me. now if i go back and set the h10-250 to 4:3 then it will stretch. The question is, do i need to set my aspect ratio when i switch between hd programming that fills the screen and sd programming or can i just leave it at 4:3. It seems that the pic looks fine on hd when i leave it at 4:3. It just is a big hassle to change the setting each time....unless there is an easier way with fewer keystrokes??? thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 08 August 2004 - 09:37 PM

The easiest thing to do is get an SD version of the DTiVo for SD only. You can pick one up for only $80 and you don't have to pay another TiVo fee, just the $5 mirroring fee. I have two HD TiVos that I only use for HD. I use my two SD TiVos for SD only, it seems to be the easiest solution.

#3 OFFLINE   Shappyss

Shappyss

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:57 AM

I think this will answer your question. Leave the aspect ratio set to 16:9. When HD is on leave the Tivo on 1080i or 720i. When watching SD click the arrow up to switch into either 480i or 480p and then use the TVs aspect ratio to adjust. Once the TV ratio is set all you have to do is click arrow up to get the correct ratio for what you are watching

#4 OFFLINE   waja

waja

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 06:06 PM

I initially set my HD-TiVo to 16x9 for my HD Hitachi set. But I didn't like the stretched SD picture. Then I used the output toggle on the HD-TiVo to do 480p and 1080i. When using 480p, my Hitachi allowed me to change the modes, but since the HD-TiVo was outputting the black strips on the side of the 4x3 picture to accomodate the 16x9 Hitachi, the results were terrible.
So now I have the HD-TiVo set to output 4x3 and this is working great. For some reason (that I like) when you select 1080i as the output, the HD-TiVo will send 16x9 to the set. When you select 480p, it sends 4x3. On the Hitachi, you can set the aspect ratio based on input. So for 1080i, I use normal as the default. For 480p, I use expanded. Expanded is a modified stretch which stretches the picture more at the sides to get the picture to fill the screen. The picture is then partially stretched top to bottom so the people do not look totally fat. You sometimes lose the top and bottom banners, but if the picture can look pretty good.

Rick

#5 OFFLINE   trigs

trigs

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 03:15 PM

Thanks Rick, that's it. It appears that the "TV Aspect Ratio" setting only affects 480p output.

#6 OFFLINE   vstone

vstone

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:10 PM

An option is to also feed the S-video to your TV. When the picture is SD, shift resolution to 480i, then shift input to S-video and do what you like.

It would be nice if the HR10-250 allowed a better solution. Of course it would also be nice if the Panny offered a better solution. My lowly SA3250HD outputs in multiple resolutions, depending on the transmission, providing a lot of flexibility.

#7 OFFLINE   geodon005

geodon005

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:06 PM

I have an older Mits (46809), which does not have stretch plus, and will not allow stretch mode for 480p. I am starting to get used to watching everything in 1080i after doing some testing; it seems that after my Craig M calibration the picture format is not quite so drastically different between SD in 480i in stretch mode and SD in 1080i in standard mode. I haven't tried the S-video with SD trick and am not sure I will bother.

Don

Protected By... spam firewall...And...