Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Top 10 Things that Microsoft and Tivo Must do to Win Control of the Living Room

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Thomas Hawk

Thomas Hawk

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:55 PM

I wrote a sidebar article to my previous review of the new Hughes HD10-250 on my blog which suggests the 10 things each that Microsoft and Tivo need to do to win control of the living room at:

http://thomashawk.co...t-and-tivo.html

Thanks,

Tom

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jpoklop

jpoklop

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 10:58 AM

While I agree with most of your assessments, I disagree with a couple.

You state:

2. Tivo must provide ethernet connectivity to their HDTV unit and include the ability to share recorded files with a Windows based PC.

3. Tivo must provide a DVD burner with all units. Copying should be as simple as selecting a program and pressing burn to disc on a menu.

If you have the ability to copy the recordings to a PC, then you don't need a dvd burner in all units. Personally I don't want the added cost and additional space of a dvd burner I will not use. When new burner technology comes out, I can upgrade my PC very easily. Having to wait for Tivo to bless a new burner and update the Linux drivers to take advantage of, say dual-layer dvd+rs, would not be effective.

The reason you don't see the HMO features in the Direct-Tivo boxes has more to do with Direct TV than Tivo. I would definitely use my dvd burner to backup video. I do this now with a stand alone burner, but would certainly prefer to do it via my PC. Broadband connectivity instead of dial-up should be a no brainer.

5. Tivo must offer a software only package for sale that will run on any Windows based PC and turn any Windows based PC into a PVR. This software must be compatible with a variety of HDTV video cards. This would be a huge revenue producer for Tivo. They could call it Tivo for Windows. People will pay a premium for this software. Tivo should leverage their name brand recognition and become a powerful software player.

Based on the complexity of software only PVRs I've seen, only the hard-core user will really be interested in Tivo-for-Windows. There are too many problems getting this kind of system to work reliably in Windows. The beauty of Tivo is that you just have to plug it in and it works. Period. There are a few problems (HD Net audio comes to mind) but on balance, the Tivo is a rock and Windows is sissors.

For my brother, whose landlord will not allow him to install a dish on his roof, there is still no HDTV PRV option.

Not true. Many cable companies have single tuner HD PVRs (Motorola or Scientific Atlanta) now and I did see an OTA HD-PVR at Best Buy. I did not pay attention to the brand since for the same price, I bought the HD-Tivo.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...