Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

upgrading to HD Tivo from regular Tivo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tntblack

tntblack

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 07:49 PM

Just purchased a new HD ready TV (Samsung 32"). I currently have the satellite dish for the Para Todos programming (not using the Spanish programming). I plan to purchase HR10-250 receiver. My dish appears to be oval in shape but does not have the third LNB. Can this dish be upgraded for the HD signal by adding the third LNB or do I have to purchase another satellite dish. Also I have two other regular receivers (Mirror) connected.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:10 PM

Welcome to DBSTalk, Tntblack :hi:

First off congratulations on your new HDTV! Yes you can keep your existing dish. All you have to do is purchase and add the ‘sat c’ LNB. This LNB goes in the middle gap between the 101 (sat a) and 119 (sat B) LNB and requires a signal combiner. The sat c kits are becoming a rarity as the Phase3 dish has really taken off, for an idea what you need click here.

I’m sure you can find the sat c kit at other online retailers or Ebay, but 110degrees.com is the only place off the top of my head that I know still carries them. If you look around you may be able to find it cheaper then $40.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#3 OFFLINE   Flyboy917

Flyboy917

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:31 PM

Don't spend a dime. Just call DirecTv and they will will come out and install a new dish for free. One year subscription contract...but if your going to buy an HD Tivo, I would assume you plan on having DirecTv for a while.

Cheers,
Flyboy

#4 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:44 PM

Or you could try that :) Great idea Flyboy! The Phase3 dish is really the way to go. No signal combiners and switches to worry about. The less hardware in the mix, the fewer things that can go wrong.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#5 OFFLINE   bensn1

bensn1

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 10:57 AM

I ordered my HR10-250 from rapidsatellite.com a few days ago. Yesterday I called DirecTV, and was told that if I wanted them to upgrade my dish from dual LNB to triple LNB there would be a $49 charge. Maybe the dish is free and the $49 covers the installation, I didn't ask. I asked if they had a Sat-C upgrade kit, and I was told that they could send my one for $8, so I took that option. It is my understanding is that it is an easy installation. I guess I will know more when it arrives!
Ray Bentsen

Protected By... spam firewall...And...