Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

FROM MARK: L187 - OTA Problems?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: L187 - Are you having problems with any OTA channels? (104 member(s) have cast votes)

L187 - Are you having problems with any OTA channels?

1. YES - I'm still experiencing problems with one or more of my OTA channels (70 votes [67.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.31%

2. NO - all of the OTA channels that I can receive are working properly (34 votes [32.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:51 AM

Here we go again... :)

DO NOT ANSWER UNTIL L187 SPOOLS AND YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO TEST YOUR OTA FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS!

Under L187, are you experiencing OTA problems? That is, do you have any OTA stations that you were previously able to save and tune to that you no longer can lock onto, save or tune? Do you have to re-add OTA channels after the nightly reboot?

Once again, if particular stations are causing you problems, please report those stations in this thread, providing contact information for the stations if possible. At the very least, please provide the following information:
  • station call letters and city where station is located
  • the digital broadcast channel
  • the PSIP remapped channel
  • is the station broadcasting PSIP data
  • do your trick play (FF, REW, Slow motion, pause, etc) functions work with the channel
  • can you record successfully from the channel
  • do you get 0 second recordings from the channel
  • do timers set for the channel fire correctly

The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for the programmers to fix the bugs in L188 or L189.

Thanks once again for your participation in this data collection thread.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 06:34 PM

I had to leave a quick new thread because the Submit New Thread is not working so I couldn't post it as a Poll. I don't know if Mark has not turned it on yet. I don't think I need to wait a couple of days for this bug because it has been going on since April.

Severtiy:Minor

I received L187 this afternoon and immediately pulled the plug on the 921 for about five minutes to clear any OTA database issues. I had removed all the OTA stations prior to the power plug reboot. I then scanned for DTV stations and still there is no local NBC station. The problem seems to have begun with L180. I've had the installer here to adjust the antenna and nothing could be done. I've had Dish send another 921 and it made no difference. It's down to either the software or something the local station is doing or not doing.

I've tried calling technical support and they just refer you to your local installer/retailer so calling them does no good.

SW Version: L187HECD-N
Boot Version: 120B
Flash Version: F051

I always keep it on HD.
Output Mode: 1080i only
Aspect Ratio: 16X9

Here is the local station information:

NBC Local - KOB - www.kobtv.com - Sean R. Anker - (505) 243-4411
DT channel 26 mapped to 4.

I will move it to the "Post New Thread" section to add a Poll if Mark wants me to or if it gets moved to the "to be deleted" section.

#3 OFFLINE   Jerry G

Jerry G

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 08:34 PM

With L187:

KCET, Los Angeles's PBS station
Digital 59 remapped to 28-1 and 28-2 subchannels (28-1 broadcasts HD, 28-2 broadcasts an SD signal).

Trick play does not work for either channel

Cannot record. Timer can be set, starts at the correct time, ends at the correct time, but ends up with a 0 second recording.

#4 OFFLINE   conner65

conner65

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:54 PM

WSB ABCDT channel 39DTV, analog is channel 2 in Atlanta, GA. Still no PVR functions whatsoever. Timers set but get 0 seconds.

Output Mode: 1080i only
Aspect Ratio: 16X9

#5 OFFLINE   Todd G.

Todd G.

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 05:52 AM

WTVR, Richmond Virginia. I get signal at 117 and lock but can't save channel. This started at version 186 and continues in 187. I get 7 other channels without problems.

Boot version: 120B
Flash version: F051
SW version: L187HECD-N

Station: WTVR
Digital Channel: 25-1
PSIP: I don't think so
Email him: doncox@wtvr.com

#6 OFFLINE   guruka

guruka

Troublemaker/Supporter

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 06:38 AM

....<snip> I then scanned for DTV stations and still there is no local NBC station. The problem seems to have begun with L180. I've had the installer here to adjust the antenna and nothing could be done. I've had Dish send another 921 and it made no difference. It's down to either the software or something the local station is doing or not doing. <snip>

This is NOT a 921 problem. KOB will be back at full power later today. Try testing it this evening. See message below from Sean.

.....G

The last pieces just showed up today from the manufacturer. They sent us
back the amplifiers, but forgot to ship the power supply. Go figure.

The crew will be heading up the mountain first thing in the morning. You
should see us again by noon. Call me if there's a problem, though I doubt I
could really do anything...

HD coverage of the opening ceremonies will start at 7 pm tomorrow.

Regards,

Sean
sanker@kobtv.com
(505)764-2442

#7 OFFLINE   Redster

Redster

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 06:43 AM

OTA ch# 013-01 is still a no go for recording, no DVR functions either..

013-01
013-02
WTHR, channel 13 Indianapolis
Contact person:
Al Grossniklaus
Director of Engineering and Operations
WTHR NBC 13/WTHR-DT 13.1/13.2 Indianapolis
alg@wthr.com

#8 OFFLINE   lynnie

lynnie

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 06:49 AM

Boot Version: 140B
Flash Version: F052

CBS - KEYE - Austin Texas
DT Channel 43 mapped to 42-1

I can't pause, play, ff, rew, etc
Get 0 second recordings

#9 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 07:12 AM

I've had to manually re-add NBC every morning with L186 (or else suffer from the "Channel 5-1 Not Found" error when I try to tune it). I decided to try this again with L187, for the same channel (channel WMAQ-DT here in Chicago). However, in a bizarre twist, this wound up adding the analog version of the channel, so that when I later punched "005" into the remote, I was watching the analog station (which previously wasn't on my list of scanned channels at all, since I don't like to have the analog channels in the list).

Steps to repeat:
1) Go into the "Local Channels" menu and pick "Add DTV".
2) Enter channel "29" and observe solid green lock with signal strength 110+.
3) Pick "Save" to save the channel.
4) On the channel screen, observe that the channel which now appears to have been added at the list is the analog one (i.e. analog 5), not the digital one (i.e. digital 29 mapped to 5.1)!

Channel Information:
WMAQ (Chicago) - NBC Channel 5.
Analog: 5. Digital: Broadcast on 29, maps to 5-1.
Previously was being lost every night on L186.

Receiver Information:
Boot: 120B
Flash: F051
Software: L187HECD-N

#10 OFFLINE   magyar

magyar

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:44 AM

My L187 problems:

Still having issues with the local PBS station, KTCA in St. Paul, MN.
Its signal on channel 34 is mapped down to 2-1. No subchannels that I can see.

If I do a manual digital-channel add, is shows up in the channel list as an ANALOG channel (??), and I indeed get the analog channel 2 (regular VHF) if I tune to it from the program guide. So I can't even watch 2-1 anymore at all.

In the L186, I could tune this channel in, watch it, and record it. The only problem was that the channel would vanish every night and I'd get the "can't find channel, go up or down" (or something like that) message. I'd manually add it and it would work fine for another 24 hours.

In the one before L186, I could tune the channel, I could watch it, the channel didn't disappear, but always got zero-second recordings.

Definitely a step backwards.....

#11 OFFLINE   jmillecpa

jmillecpa

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:46 AM

The CBS affiliate in Tulsa, KOTV, digtial channel 55 (6.1) still cannot use any DVR functionality to record, pause, skip back. Can only watch live.

This is after 187 installed and power cord reboot.

#12 OFFLINE   Skates

Skates

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:13 AM

L187

KCOP Los Angeles.
Analog 13, Digital 66, maps to 66.1

Scan locks the channel now (was not working previously), however, when I tune to it, all I get is a black screen. Have confirmed channel is up and I'm receiving very strong signal.

#13 OFFLINE   robhendricks

robhendricks

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:35 AM

[quote name='Slordak']I've had to manually re-add NBC every morning with L186 (or else suffer from the "Channel 5-1 Not Found" error when I try to tune it). I decided to try this again with L187, for the same channel (channel WMAQ-DT here in Chicago).

I have the same problem - In Chicago, added DTV 29 - ended up with both analog channel 5, but also digital channel 5.1. I'll check tomorrow to see if 5.1 unlocks.
Robert Hendricks

Vip622 DVR-HD - Installed 4/24/2006
SW Version - L356RBDD-N

#14 OFFLINE   korek

korek

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 01:11 PM

KBHK (UPN, Digital 45, Analog 44, no PSIP) in San Francisco still goes black. No problems with KPIX (CBS, Digital 29, Analog 5, PSIP) which is owned by the same company and broadcast from same tower. After the nightly reboot I can select 45 from the guide and watch it, but if I change channels and go back to 45 then it is totally black until next reboot. There is no message that the signal can't be acquired. Signal strength 116 to 125 and says "acquired and locked". I can record manually after reboot, but still haven't been able to get a timer to record Enterprise in HD any Friday night yet. Posted Image No 0 second recording and nothing new appears in DVR list. Trick play is fine. Nothing lost on reboot. I had previously phoned in this bug on L186.

Receiver Info:
Boot: 140B
Flash: F052
Software: L187HECD-N
KBHK TV 44
855 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
415-249-4444

#15 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 01:36 PM

KBHK (UPN, Digital 45, Analog 44, no PSIP) in San Francisco still goes black. No problems with KPIX (CBS, Digital 29, Analog 5, PSIP) which is owned by the same company and broadcast from same tower. After the nightly reboot I can select 45 from the guide and watch it, but if I change channels and go back to 45 then it is totally black until next reboot. There is no message that the signal can't be acquired. Signal strength 116 to 125 and says "acquired and locked". I can record manually after reboot, but still haven't been able to get a timer to record Enterprise in HD any Friday night yet. Posted Image No 0 second recording and nothing new appears in DVR list. Trick play is fine. Nothing lost on reboot. I had previously phoned in this bug on L186.

I have basically the same problem with this station. However, it DOES transmit PSIP, at least in some form. DonLandis was insightful enought to point out how to find out. Turn on closed captioning. KBHK has it, therefore, they are transmitting some PSIP info.

For me, I can watch it once after a nightly reboot. I have been very happy though, because my weekly timer has been recording "Enterprise" regardless of the troubles I have had with that channel. This black screen problem was introduced in L186.

The odd thing is that I haven't yet been able to figure out why the nightly reboot helps. I have found that a soft reboot doesn't help me get the channel back. I will try a power plug reboot soon. I suspect that there is some sort of a PSIP decode state machine, or an MPEG decode state machine that is not re-initializing itself. Very bizarre that we can watch the channel one time per day.....

#16 OFFLINE   indyras

indyras

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 01:40 PM

I am having the same problems as Redster with the NBC affiliate in Indianapolis (WTHR 13.1).

All attempted recodings end up as 0 seconds. None of the DVR trick play functions work either.

At some time in the past, all of the trick play functions and recordings worked fine on WTHR. I am not 100% sure, but I believe that the DVR problems with WTHR began when L184 was downloaded.

The contact information for WTHR is supplied in Redster's post.

OTA ch# 013-01 is still a no go for recording, no DVR functions either..

013-01
013-02
WTHR, channel 13 Indianapolis
Contact person:
Al Grossniklaus
Director of Engineering and Operations
WTHR NBC 13/WTHR-DT 13.1/13.2 Indianapolis
alg@wthr.com

Dish DVR-921
Software Version: L212HECD-N

#17 OFFLINE   rixhd

rixhd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 01:42 PM

KTWB Seattle, WA Channel 22-01, RF channel 25, WB local
No trick Play
Cannot record.
Get 0 second recording.
Do not have this problem with 9 other OTA DT local channels
After receiving L187 I rebooted with the button, card and power cord.
Reset to factory defaults.
Rescanned digital channels.
Rick
Dish 721 11/02 and 622 5/06
Hitachi 50V500 RP LCD @1080i 16x9
Onkyo HT-S770S 6.1 Surround
721 SW Version L177HABD-N
622 SW Version L357RBDD-N

#18 OFFLINE   mraub

mraub

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:41 PM

Can the sensitivity of the 921 OTA receiver be adjusted from software? I have one channel that my 811 locks solidly on, but which the 921's lock is intermitent. There's an addtional 30 feet or so of coax to the 811, so it's probably getting a bit less signal to work with as well.

MIKE

#19 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:49 PM

Can the sensitivity of the 921 OTA receiver be adjusted from software? I have one channel that my 811 locks solidly on, but which the 921's lock is intermitent. There's an addtional 30 feet or so of coax to the 811, so it's probably getting a bit less signal to work with as well.

Try disconnecting the 811 and the additional 30 feet or so of coax. That will give you around 4dB depending on the quality of the splitter. If it improves, then you get an idea of how much boost you need. What kind of signal strength does that channel show on the 921 when you manually add that channel?

#20 OFFLINE   rbyers

rbyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 04:28 PM

OK, here's my current summary of KNOWN problems with my 921 in Los Angeles. Please note that I have a strong signal for all LA channels, with a short, clear shot to Mt Wilson.

One note from 186, I had reported that Ch 48 (KOCE 50-1,2,&3) would apparently add, but all I got was a black screen and no audio. Something apparently changed with the signal, because I started getting it perfectly before 187 downloaded.

Problems remaining (and new) with L187.

1. PBS (ch 59 remapped to 28-1 (HD), 28-2 (SD). Cannot record, pause, backup, or use any othe DVR functions on 28-1, the HD channel. This hasn't changed during the time I've had my 921.

2. KCOP (the local UPN station). Can now lock and acquire a strong signal, and the station is added to the list as 66-1, and 66-2. This is an improvement. However, I'm not sure that there is a 66-2. In any event, there is no audio or video on either 66-1 or 66-2. And, I get the message "could not find 66-1 .... etc, and so on".

3. KCAL (Channel 43, remaps as 9-1). This is a Viacom owned channel. I can add this channel and view it. However, the system forgets about it overnight, so I have to add it each day that I want to view it. Also, (and this is new with L187) when I add the DTV channel, it also adds the analog channel 9.

4. NEW PROBLEM. (this could have happened before, but I never paid any attention to it, since I don't watch the channel). If I try to manually add (KDOC Ch 32 .. 32-1), the system says that it has a strong signal .. ~120 .. and it locks and acquires. But, after saving, it does not show up in the list of channels.

My opinion is that L187 didn't do anything useful for me. KCOP appears to be "better", but I still cannot view it.
2 Hoppers 1/Sling No Joeys 2/16/13
Seagate 500, 1TB EHDs
TV: Samsung LCD 50" SmartTV HDMI 1.4
TV: Panasonic LCD 37" HDMI 1.4

Protected By... spam firewall...And...