Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Changing Remote Addresses

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rick Sass

Rick Sass

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 04:37 AM

I am not successful in trying to change remote addresses for 2 HD TiVo's. I did follow the instructions and I have tried addresses 1 to 5 with no luck. After programming the remotes and going to system info, everything is fine. When I switch from 1 box to the other and then back again, then both boxes are programmed with the same remote address. I have tried unplugging the units and still no luck. Any ideas?
Rick Sass

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jsheldon

jsheldon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 12:47 PM

I am not successful in trying to change remote addresses for 2 HD TV's. I did follow the instructions and I have tried addresses 1 to 5 with no luck. After programming the remotes and going to system info, everything is fine. When I switch from 1 box to the other and then back again, then both boxes are programmed with the same remote address. I have tried unplugging the units and still no luck. Any ideas?

Rick,

Could it be that while you have one box being displayed on the TV and you go thru the steps to change the address you are sending thye IR signals to BOTH boxes and thus change BOTH of the boxes to the new address?

Turn one of the boxes completely off - unplug it if needed.

Change the address on the other box and than plug in the unplugged unit.

#3 OFFLINE   Rick Sass

Rick Sass

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 05:12 AM

I have tried unplugging the units and still no luck. Any ideas?

Huh...
Rick Sass

#4 OFFLINE   jsheldon

jsheldon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 06:13 AM

Huh...

Whoops. Sorry.

So, you figure that you have nothing wrong? :nono2:

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:56 AM

I am not successful in trying to change remote addresses for 2 HD TV's. I did follow the instructions and I have tried addresses 1 to 5 with no luck. After programming the remotes and going to system info, everything is fine. When I switch from 1 box to the other and then back again, then both boxes are programmed with the same remote address. I have tried unplugging the units and still no luck. Any ideas?

Rick,

I have two Phillips 6000 units in my living room and recently added the HD TiVo (YAY!!). For the two Phillips units, I did the remote address programming (one set to 1, the other set to 2). I was concerned when I got the new HD that they would cross function. I programmed the HD TiVo with a remote address of 8 (just my lucky number) and all three now work independently.

The thing is, the Phillips remote has a "1-2" switch on it so it functions against box 1 or 2 depending on where that switch is set. There is no such switch on the HD TiVo remote (the "Sat-TV" switch on the 250 remote is where my "1-2" switch is on the Phillips remote).

I'm guessing you are programming for 2 HR10-250's (your post says 2 HD TV's). If that's the case and you program two different remote addresses, I don't think there's a way to choose which remote address you are actually sending a signal for. Unless there is some button combination involved that I haven't looked into yet, it may be that you can't independently run multiple HD TiVos without using the "block the signal" method (block the sensor on the one you don't want to affect).

Kind of doesn't make sense to me that that would be the case given the popularity/price and the fact that that is available on some other TiVo models. It works OK for me with one HR10-250 and two other types. I hope I'm missing something obvious! Good luck. If it is possible, someone will be on here soon to straighten things out - you can always count on that!

Mike

Protected By... spam firewall...And...