Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

component video inputs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   syreed

syreed

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 01:17 PM

I am considering the purchase of a Directv HR10-250
DVR.
My tv has only component video inputs.
The future threat of down-rezzing the signal
once it leaves the digital domain
would substantially de-value my investment.

Any Advice?

Thanks,

Sy H.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   geodon005

geodon005

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 07:00 AM

I have a HD TiVo and use my TV's component video inputs with no downgrading of signal quality. Are you saying that your component video inputs will not handle 720p or 1080i signals?

#3 OFFLINE   jpoklop

jpoklop

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 08:13 AM

I think he is referring to the ability to force the component output to 480p via a broadcast flag. This is to prevent recording of hi-res data. The HDMI port supports HDCP (copy protection) which can be set to only allow the full resolution when connected to another HDCP device. When using the component output, your TV can not authenticate itself so if the broadcasters turn on the HDCP flag (for ppv for example) you will only get 480p.

Right now, the FCC has mandated that all broadcast material not have the flag turned on. Since services like HBO-HD and Showtime-HD are technically not "broadcast" the rule is a little murky. Due to the number of people with older HD sets which don't support HDCP, I doubt we will see it used very much outside PPV events. The public outcry against having spent $1000s of dollars for an EDTV set would be more than most providers want to deal with.

spam firewall