Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ask DBSTalk: Timer Button on DVR screen does nothing?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Flasshe

Flasshe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:58 AM

Hi guys - I'm a new 921 owner, as of last night (replacing a 6000 and a 508). I wanted to introduce myself and ask a question. So far, it's looking pretty good, though I haven't tried any OTA recording/timers yet. I've got L187 and the only major problem I've had so far is the disappearing channels in the Favorites list.

My question is about the Timer Button on the DVR screen (the screen I get to by hitting the DVR button on the remote, and which shows both recorded events and upcoming timers). Nothing happens when I hit the Timer Button there. I assume it's meant to bring you to the Future Timer (i.e. Timers Only) screen, but the only way I can get to that is to select a timer in the DVR menu and hit Enter, which seems counter-intuitive. Is it supposed to work this way, or is it a bug? Apologies if this has been covered - I couldn't find anything on it with a Search.

I also find it strange that the Timers are not sorted on the DVR list (though the recorded events at the top are), but they are sorted on the Future Timers screen. But I guess that one's been there for awhile.

Thanks! --Rog

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:09 AM

The timer button on the DVR screen takes you to the timers list *on the DVR screen* below all of the recordings. It does not take you to the setup timers screen.

And welcome Flasshe - nice to see someone from just down the road a little ways from me! :)
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:11 AM

This is apparently how this is supposed to work, in that pressing that "Timers" button scrolls the list of DVR/PVR events down to the bottom where your pending timers are created. It highlights the first timer (if there is one), but you are correct that you can't actually do anything without selecting this timer to get the system to transition to the separate Timers menu/screen.

Regardless of what the software requirements specify for this feature, my personal opinion matches yours, in that I believe that pressing the "Timers" button should take one to the Timers sub-menu/screen, rather than just scrolling in the main PVR/DVR event list. I believe this is an example of an awkward or difficult to use user interface design; there are a couple of these in the 921, where the action that most users would expect is not actually initiated.

#4 OFFLINE   dishbacker

dishbacker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:13 AM

As to your favorites question, its being discussed here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=31472

If you do a power cord (unplug the power cord for appx. 2 1/2 minutes and plug back in) or smart card (SLOWLY pull out the smart card on the front of the box far enough for it to display an error message... and them SLOWLY push it back in)... it should help with your favorites lists working correctly (except being able to add OTA channels).
942 user 1/22/06 L288
622 user 9/30/2006 L365
DPP Twin LNB for 110/119 / DP Dual for 129
Sony 42in LCD RPTV
Pioneer VSX-D810S Receiver

#5 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 12:54 PM

...I also find it strange that the Timers are not sorted on the DVR list (though the recorded events at the top are), but they are sorted on the Future Timers screen. But I guess that one's been there for awhile.

Thanks! --Rog

This is a known bug and reported over in that forum. :)
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#6 OFFLINE   Flasshe

Flasshe

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the info and the welcomes, guys. Okay, that makes sense. Most of the experimenting I did was after I had deleted my test recordings, so there were no recorded events on the DVR screen. Hitting the Timer button just selected the top timer event, which I interpreted as doing nothing. Slordak, I agree that it's a strange UI design, but at least now I know what it's supposed to do. I'm coming from the 508 (and before that, DishPlayer) world where the recordings and the timers are always separate, so it threw me. (Which brings up my other pet peeve about the 921 timer menus - I wish that like the 508, it showed the names of the shows on every timer line instead of the channel. True, it does show the name of the show for the highlighted timer at the top of the screen, plus I can push Info to find out, but I like having all the names displayed together so I can see what I've got setup to record in the next day or two at a quick glance.)

Dishbacker, I did finally get my channels to stick in the Favorites list, but I don't know exactly how it happened. I know at one point the unit completely froze up when I tried to clear the list, and then I did a front panel reboot, and when it came back, all the channels were suddenly in the list. But that's a discussion for the other thread.

spam firewall