Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Circuit City ,so lame.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mctube

Mctube

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 01:37 PM

First, let me comment on Circuit City 1-800 number folks. Hard to understand, they lie but Circuit City saves money. Nice touch. I made an on line purchase (Tivo HD) with C.C. I was not happy with my purchase and I wanted to return it. I was told to take it to the store for a refund by the 1-800 help. I went to the store and guess what they told me, I could not return it to the store. At the Burlington store they were very nice folks who tried to help and could not. They called the online folks who told them my purchase could only be returned by UPS ( not what they told me when I called) they also told the store they would send me a return kit, to send it back at no expense to me. When I got home I had a new email from Circuit City telling me that I had to send my order back at my expense or I could return it to the store. Here we go again, I call the 1-800 number and they assured me that YOU can return it to the store and that they would call the Burlington store to show me, after the 1-800 help came back he apologized and said he was wrong and yes I had to pay out of my own pocket . I did so for $21.00. I got the credit for my purchase a few days later. It cost me $21.00 to go through that on line convenience.
Ok you would think I would learn a lesson here, not to shop with C.C. again. Well turns out my family decided they wanted Tivo HD after all. I buy from C.C. online again, because of the extended warranty. This time I pay extra for shipping to get it fast. When my new purchase came the box looked like it was kicked around a bit. The receiver had hand prints on it, looked like someone had this item out of the box already. The receiver did not work. I call the 1-800 number again, they tell me to take it to the store. Sound familiar? I tell the phone person that the store wont take it. I tell her I have been through this once already. She tells me I am wrong. I ask for a supervisor. I don't think I got one, most likely it was the person who sits next to her. He tells me he will call the store for me. Great! I tell him you cant return it to the store. He says hold on for a second he will call the store.He comes back and tells me the store will take it back for a credit or a new one. He tells me he talked to the manager and its all set. I ask for the managers name. He gives me the managers name. we end the call. I call the store and ask for the manager by name. The manager who is filling in answered the phone, same manager I had dealt with the first time. She tells me the guy I asked for is on vacation and NO ONE called there and spoke to the manager about no return. So that makes the guy who told me they were located off shore a liar. This is it for me I will never buy or shop at Circuit City again. I would rater pay more someplace else. So here I am again going to ship a second one back. For another $21.00. Shame on me. Least I know it wont happen ever again.
:mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n8dagr8

n8dagr8

Resident Rounder

• Gold Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 01:51 PM

Here's another one. I went to buy a car alarm at Circuit City here in Birmingham Hoover). The price tag said like $90 - INCLUDES INSTALLATION. So i talk to the floor person and confirm that this is the price and it does include installation. She said there might be some sort of door lock conversion thingy or something but at most that would be another $20 (which is B.S. but whatever). So I go to pay for it and the guy says installation will be another $100. I'm like WTF? I call the lady that had helped me over and they both agree that it should include installation cause it says it does. The car "area" manager comes over and basically says, too bad. Then goes over and pulls the tag. So, I went else where, bought an alarm and just installed it myself. It took me all day saturday but I learned a lot. I will NEVER shop at circuit city again, even if they save me hundreds of dollars they lost my business with that deal. BestBuy had always been ethical and understanding with every deal I have ever had. (They took $100 off a TV they had to replace because the manager thought it was the right thing to do because of the problem I had had. All he had to do was replace it, not discount it)
N8

"The heart has reasons that reason does not know. It is the heart that feels God and not reason." ~Pascal

"It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you." ~Dick Cheney

#3 OFFLINE   LOBO2999

LOBO2999

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:15 PM

I don't really shop at CC because of problems I have heard about, Now I have gotten items off of the BB web site and have return it and got my full refund , not a credit or an exchange for the same item I got a refund. But I know others have had problems with BB as well but I have not.

#4 OFFLINE   kwajr

kwajr

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 06:08 PM

http://www.ripoffrep...rch&daterange=6

#5 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:13 PM

First, let me comment on Circuit City 1-800 number folks. Hard to understand, they lie but Circuit City saves money. Nice touch. I made an on line purchase (Tivo HD) with C.C. I was not happy with my purchase and I wanted to return it. I was told to take it to the store for a refund by the 1-800 help. I went to the store and guess what they told me, I could not return it to the store. At the Burlington store they were very nice folks who tried to help and could not. They called the online folks who told them my purchase could only be returned by UPS ( not what they told me when I called) they also told the store they would send me a return kit, to send it back at no expense to me. When I got home I had a new email from Circuit City telling me that I had to send my order back at my expense or I could return it to the store. Here we go again, I call the 1-800 number and they assured me that YOU can return it to the store and that they would call the Burlington store to show me, after the 1-800 help came back he apologized and said he was wrong and yes I had to pay out of my own pocket . I did so for $21.00. I got the credit for my purchase a few days later. It cost me $21.00 to go through that on line convenience.
Ok you would think I would learn a lesson here, not to shop with C.C. again. Well turns out my family decided they wanted Tivo HD after all. I buy from C.C. online again, because of the extended warranty. This time I pay extra for shipping to get it fast. When my new purchase came the box looked like it was kicked around a bit. The receiver had hand prints on it, looked like someone had this item out of the box already. The receiver did not work. I call the 1-800 number again, they tell me to take it to the store. Sound familiar? I tell the phone person that the store wont take it. I tell her I have been through this once already. She tells me I am wrong. I ask for a supervisor. I don't think I got one, most likely it was the person who sits next to her. He tells me he will call the store for me. Great! I tell him you cant return it to the store. He says hold on for a second he will call the store.He comes back and tells me the store will take it back for a credit or a new one. He tells me he talked to the manager and its all set. I ask for the managers name. He gives me the managers name. we end the call. I call the store and ask for the manager by name. The manager who is filling in answered the phone, same manager I had dealt with the first time. She tells me the guy I asked for is on vacation and NO ONE called there and spoke to the manager about no return. So that makes the guy who told me they were located off shore a liar. This is it for me I will never buy or shop at Circuit City again. I would rater pay more someplace else. So here I am again going to ship a second one back. For another $21.00. Shame on me. Least I know it wont happen ever again.
:mad:

Actually you bought it at Circus City. You got the horse and pony show by a bunch of clowns!!!!! :grin:

#6 OFFLINE   Mctube

Mctube

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:53 PM

Ok. Now I am confused. :eek2: Seems my wife made a few phone calls to a few Circuit City's in our area. Some stores said they would take our on line purchase back, some said they cant. So long story short. We go to the one that said no problem and they take it back , I get a receipt for a credit on my account. Looks like they don't lie after all. But one hand sure does not know what the other is doing. My wife even called the store close to our home and told them we had taken our on line purchase to another C.C. for a credit no problem. They stuck to their story that you cant take it back to the store. Ok I surrender. They need some work to all be on the same page. Sure hope Best Buy is better. :new_popco

:icon_lame

#7 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:09 PM

The car "area" manager comes over and basically says, too bad. Then goes over and pulls the tag.

What he did was illegal! A store cannot change the advertised price in the middle of a sale even if the price is wrong. It's too bad you didn't report him to his superiors or the BBB. They would have fired him for doing that.

#8 OFFLINE   MikeSoltis

MikeSoltis

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:00 AM

I would have to agree with Chris, it is illegal.
I got a really good deal in CC years ago. They had marked a floor demo cassette deck (remember those) with the wrong price. I knew enough about the deck to know either the price was wrong or it was a really good deal. I grabbed the price tag card before I went in search of a salesman, and got the deal.

My woe for the next couple of weeks is there are 2 CC's near me, the one I like which has better salespeople and selection is in Port Charlotte and is not going to be open for a while. (Thanks Charley)
Won't you gentlemen have a Pepsi? !pepsi!
You know what? I'm sick of being in the van. You guys are going to be in the van next time. I've been in the van for fifteen years, Harry.

#9 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 07:06 AM

What he did was illegal! A store cannot change the advertised price in the middle of a sale even if the price is wrong. It's too bad you didn't report him to his superiors or the BBB. They would have fired him for doing that.

BBB is spineless and useless. All they will do is write up a report, send it to CC. All CC has to do is say they reviewed it and took appropriate measures and the complaint is "resolved". State Attorney Generals have more bite to them.

#10 OFFLINE   ImmerTech

ImmerTech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:37 AM

What he did was illegal! A store cannot change the advertised price in the middle of a sale even if the price is wrong.

I don't want to defend CC because I know everything that has been said here is true. But just to clarify Chris's point above about what they did being illegal. I have been through this with some local shops that tried to pull this type of stunt where they yank a price tag. What the laws says in regards to this is, "It is illegal for a store to Intentionally misslead you by putting up false pricing." The catch here is the word intentionally. This means you have to prove the store did not simply make a mistake but that they put the price tag up deceptively to try and cheat you. This is almost impossible to prove and the stores know it.

In the case of CC I am sure that the Mega Conglomerate, that is CC, just didn't pay the minimum wage clerk enough to care and take the tag down on time. I doubt that CC was trying to eek a few more dollars out of you with a bad price tag. It was most likely just incompetence like the other stories posted were.

I give you the above information not in defense of CC but so that you have a better understanding of the law when fighting this issue.

-ImmerTech

#11 OFFLINE   boylehome

boylehome

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:39 PM

Ok. Now I am confused. :eek2: Seems my wife made a few phone calls to a few Circuit City's in our area. Some stores said they would take our on line purchase back, some said they cant. So long story short. We go to the one that said no problem and they take it back , I get a receipt for a credit on my account. Looks like they don't lie after all. But one hand sure does not know what the other is doing. My wife even called the store close to our home and told them we had taken our on line purchase to another C.C. for a credit no problem. They stuck to their story that you cant take it back to the store. Ok I surrender. They need some work to all be on the same page. Sure hope Best Buy is better. :new_popco :icon_lame

OK. I suggest that you complain up the ladder. Don't stop with a floor manager. Demand to see the person above them! Don't let up. They must make it right.

spam firewall