Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Direct TV HD question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ElonSig

ElonSig

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:54 PM

DC area HD question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, looking for a little help with the OTA. Live in Silver Spring, MD, just outside of Washington, D.C.. We are trying to make sure that we want to go ahead with the purchase of the HD equipment. Currently have an HD ready Toshiba TV. Direct TV is our satellite provider. Ability to receive the local channels in HD is very important. Thinking of purchasing the HD receiver and off air antenna package directly from Direct TV for $399. Do you guys know if this comes with high quality hardware (receiver and antenna) or would it be a better idea to purchase the items separately from a retail store? Can you request specific equipment from DirectTV or do they provide all customers with the same receiver/off air antenna?

Assuming we went with the equipment from Direct TV, have you found that the HD local stations you can receive with the off air antenna are of very good picture quality? Are they as good as the sat. stations like ESPN HD, Discovery HD, etc.? Basically, is the off-air antenna worth getting. If we can't get the local stations we probably won't get the HD equipment.

Two more questions, do you have any idea how big the antenna that DirectTV installs is? Once the antenna is installed do you have to make adjustments to it to find the signal or does it do this automatically?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brad

long_brad@comcast.net

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ImmerTech

ImmerTech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale

Posted 19 August 2004 - 08:45 AM

Assuming we went with the equipment from Direct TV, have you found that the HD local stations you can receive with the off air antenna are of very good picture quality?

I cannot speak to the rest of your e-mail, but I can tell you that the OTA HD channels are in fact BETTER then the D* HD channels. I believe that D* is still broadcasting most of there HD at like 10MBit/sec. While OTA is broadcasting mostly at 20MBit/sec. I may be wrong with my numbers and I am sure a HD expert will correct me if I am. Basically OTA broadcasts have one channel to worry about so they can fill their pipe with the highest data rate. D* has to fit as many channels as possible in the same pipe so this means that they have to sometimes compromise a little on Bandwidth to accomplish this.

With all that said, an important thing to remember is that as much as the OTA channels do look better. The SAT channels look REALLY REALLY good. So it is really a minor thing to say the that OTA is better. Assuming you can get OTA I would definitely get HD D*.

-ImmerTech

#3 OFFLINE   jpoklop

jpoklop

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:17 AM

Basically OTA broadcasts have one channel to worry about so they can fill their pipe with the highest data rate

Well... sort of... Not all OTA is equal. Differences in station hardware and the number of digital channels they choose to multicast will affect the quality of their signal. In Chicago there is good digital (PBS especially) and bad digital (Channel 38 with 6 subchannels). Most stations do not use the full power allocated to their transmitter either.

NBC's Olympic coverage looks better to my eye OTA than via DirecTV, but the difference is very subtle. I have not seen any real difference between DirecTV's CBS and my local OTA CBS.

The biggest improvement with OTA is for non-HD material. When watching SD locals, the OTA picture blows away the highly compressed DirecTV version. If you can receive OTA in your area, the benefits are worth the effort.

I don't know what attenna DirecTV is offering, but I would definitely research what you need for your area before making the decision. http://www.antennawe...aw/welcome.aspx is a great resource.

#4 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:33 AM

I forget the model name but I know its one that attaches to the dish off a arm on the mount.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#5 OFFLINE   trigs

trigs

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:54 PM

If you already have an antenna, and you can get UHF channels, then try your existing antenna for OTA HD.

#6 OFFLINE   Kevinlane

Kevinlane

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 06:36 AM

I agree OTA IS BETTER (with the HD10-250) than DTV especially in SD
OTA in combination with DTV is one of the main reasons I got an HD10-250.

#7 OFFLINE   joema

joema

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2004 - 08:21 AM

long_brad@comcast.net[/email]

I just put a small Channel Master 4221 4-bay UHF bow tie antenna in my attic. The installer would have put up some kind of antenna for me, but I wanted this specific type, mounted exactly where I wanted. I used a Channel Master mast-mounted preamp, and ran the coax to the "antenna" input on my HR10-250 HD DirecTivo.

You really only need an antenna for HD locals -- SD locals are generally available via satellite. HD locals are usually UHF, not VHF, but verify this at antennaweb.org. If so you just need a UHF-only antenna, which is physically smaller than VHF or VHF/UHF combo antennas.

Fortunately all my OTA stations are at the same compass heading, so I don't need a rotator. If your HD OTA stations are at two different compass headings, I'd suggest getting two small UHF antennas, point one at each heading, combine the signals at the antenna end with a splitter/combiner, and run a single cable to your HD receiver. This will avoid messing with a rotator.

I'm about 20 miles from the stations, and my small antenna works perfectly. In Guided Setup, indicate you have OTA and satellite channels, and what zip code your OTA stations are in. Then the HD Tivo automatically scanned and located the OTA stations (both SD and HD), and automatically integrated them into the channel lineup. Picture quality is roughly the same as satellite. If a a local HD OTA station uses subchannels, this will steal bandwidth and the HD quality won't be quite as good. But in essence it's easy to hook up, pretty much fully automatic, and picture quality is generally the same as satellite. Digital OTA stations don't have any of the snow or multipath problems of analog stations.

#8 OFFLINE   speedcouch

speedcouch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 01:25 PM

DC area HD question

Assuming we went with the equipment from Direct TV, have you found that the HD local stations you can receive with the off air antenna are of very good picture quality? Are they as good as the sat. stations like ESPN HD, Discovery HD, etc.? Basically, is the off-air antenna worth getting. If we can't get the local stations we probably won't get the HD equipment.

Two more questions, do you have any idea how big the antenna that DirectTV installs is? Once the antenna is installed do you have to make adjustments to it to find the signal or does it do this automatically?

long_brad@comcast.net

I live in Davidsonville, MD and the OTA Washington DC HD channels we get are all very good! Better than anything on DirecTV except maybe HDnet (but it's more compressed than it used to be). Channel 9's picture is awesome with so much 1080i content coming out of CBS. Channel 4 is good, but NBC doesn't have a lot of HD content yet. Channel 7 is good for Monday Night Footbal (even if it is only 720p), but we prefer channel 2 out of Baltimore as we get a stronger signal where we live. Channel 5 is decent and they do widescreen quite often even if it isn't true HD yet. We had to have a roof antenna with mast and rotor installed to get both Baltimore and Washington because we live so far out, but it was well worth the cost. Not sure what you mean by "adjustments," but we have switch the rotor for either Baltimore or Washington (which are in totally different directions for us).

Cheryl
Samsung HL-T5089S
Samsung LN32A550
Two HR20-100s
HR10-250
Panasonic DMR-E30S DVD Recorder
DirecTV since Aug 1995
Kenwood Home Theater VR-7060
Four JBL S310 II Speakers
JBL S Center II
XM Radio since May 2004

Protected By... spam firewall...And...