Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ASK DBSTalk: 921 Install with legacy quad?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kiwikevone

kiwikevone

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 10:53 AM

G;day all.I finally ordered my 921 and need advice on what I need for install.I have dish 500 with quad lnb [I believe it is Legacy as it doesn't have the dish pro symbol on it]running to a 501,508 and 4700 receivers.
1. I'm confused about switches needed.I've gathered that I need to connect 2 inputs to the 921 but am not sure how to achieve this[running a new run is a painful option]
2. What OTA antenna is everyone using? I am in Delray Beach,FL 33445
3. I have diplexers at each end of each run to split the signal to cable and sat.Could I somehow utilize these to achieve the 2 inputs into the 921?
Thanks for any and all help.
Kev :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:48 AM

A1: If you drop your 4700, you won't need any new hardware - just run a 2nd cable from the Quad to the 921. Otherwise, you're in for a big expense - the problem is in crossing the 4-tuner line. If you REALLY need to keep the 4700, post back and we'll go from there. If you REALLY can't run a 2nd feed cable, you are again in for a big expense: DishPro Twin LNBF, DPP44, DP Separator. I think that comes to around $250-300.
A2: no clue from Colorado. :)
A3: You can continue to use a diplexer to get your OTA signal to the 921, but there's NO WAY to use them to combine two satellite signals. OTA is 5-900MHz. Satellite is either 950-1450MHz (Legacy) or 950-2150MHz (DishPro). On top of that, the receiver sends power and commands UP the line to the LNBF.
"I agreed with Bogy thrice in 5353 posts. That means he's wrong 99.94% of the time."
----------
DishDVR 921, B: 120B, F: F051, V: L211HECD-N@04-Dec-07, L212@05-Mar-01, L213@Apr-01, L215@Jun-29, L216@Jul-23, L218@Jul-28, L219@Aug-11, L270@Sep-14, L272@Oct-28, L273@Dec-08, L274@Mar-08, L275@Mar-23, L276HECD-N@06-Mar-31.
DP-Twin=110/119, DP Single=148, into a DP34, DP Dual=61.5, into DP21s to add 61.5

#3 OFFLINE   ajohnson

ajohnson

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 12:14 PM

You don't say what switch (if any) you already have. If you have a sw64, then I was in exactly the same situation you were in. I knew I had two options, keep legacy and get a second sw64 with splitters and feed-through loads (see http://www.dishnetwo...n/install-5.pdf ) or upgrade to dishpro and get either a dpp44 with splitter (single feed to 921 that splits off to each tuner) and then feed 3 more receivers, or get a couple of dp34's and chain them together with their pass-thru ports.

I opted to upgrade to dishpro and a dpp44. I figure I can sell my old stuff and this way I don't become obsolete. Plus I can add a 4th satellite, cause I'm crazy and want even more channels I'll never watch :P

#4 OFFLINE   kiwikevone

kiwikevone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 12:21 PM

A1: If you drop your 4700, you won't need any new hardware - just run a 2nd cable from the Quad to the 921. Otherwise, you're in for a big expense - the problem is in crossing the 4-tuner line. If you REALLY need to keep the 4700, post back and we'll go from there. If you REALLY can't run a 2nd feed cable, you are again in for a big expense: DishPro Twin LNBF, DPP44, DP Separator. I think that comes to around $250-300.
A2: no clue from Colorado. :)
A3: You can continue to use a diplexer to get your OTA signal to the 921, but there's NO WAY to use them to combine two satellite signals. OTA is 5-900MHz. Satellite is either 950-1450MHz (Legacy) or 950-2150MHz (DishPro). On top of that, the receiver sends power and commands UP the line to the LNBF.

Simple Simon.Thanks for the advice.I am planning on replacing the 4700 so will still have 3 receivers.I'm not sure which switch I have.

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 12:36 PM

If you've got 4 cables coming off your legacy quad now, you probably have that 4th line just laying spooled up in your attic.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#6 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 01:55 PM

Simple Simon.Thanks for the advice.I am planning on replacing the 4700 so will still have 3 receivers.I'm not sure which switch I have.

Unless you've got a second dish that you haven't mentioned, you do NOT have a separate switch.

You can think of a Quad as a pair of LNBFs with either a SW44 (Legacy) or DP24 (DishPro) switch built-in. Note: there is NO such thing as a stand-alone DP24 switch - it's just the concept. There used to be a SW44 stand-alone, but AFAIK it's be discontinued in facor of the SW64.

In any event, if you retire the 4700, your 3 receivers have a total of 4 tuners, so the Quad can handle it. Run the 2nd feed (as painful as that might be, it'll save you a lot of money) for the 921 and you're fine.

Mark: Your assumption that the fourth feed cable is coiled up somewhere assumes a generous installer (cable costs money), and we all know how rare that is.

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 02:28 PM

I agree Simon, but if he's got 4 cables connected to the quad, but only 3 connected to receivers currently, that 4th cable has to be going somewhere.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#8 OFFLINE   deweybrunner

deweybrunner

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 03:23 PM

As far as the antenna for ota, if you visit www.antennaweb.org and they will key into your area and make antenna recommendations. I have, in Tampa, a what you call, a "Tampa Bay Special" that I purchased from Radio Shack. Actually it's two antennas in one because one tower for CBS is located almost in the opposite direction. This works for me rather than having a rotor. My antenna is located in the attic because of restrictions. Channelmaster.com has a detailed listing of all their antenna you might want to search. Depending on where you put the antenna you might need an amplifier which is attached near the antenna. Antenna web will tell you all the stations, directions, distances, and compass orientation. This is a good place to start. without a good signal you will not be able to get ota hdtv. Good luck!

#9 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:09 PM

Mark: I don't seen him saying anything about 4 cables anywhere ;)

#10 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:02 PM

Huh...I would have sworn that I saw he had 4 cables connected to the quad...nevermind... :blush:

(obviously working too hard these days...)
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#11 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:31 PM

You're very forgiven. :)

#12 OFFLINE   kiwikevone

kiwikevone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:43 PM

Huh...I would have sworn that I saw he had 4 cables connected to the quad...nevermind... :blush:

(obviously working too hard these days...)

Mark,you may be working too hard,but you;re not mistaken.I did write that I had 4,but upon closer inspection,I was mistaken[only 3].I edited my post with "mistaken" as the reason.Sorry for the confusion.
If I have the HD package from dish,it would appear that I only miss out on CBS via bird,which leads to the question, Is it CBS' HD programming worth all the trouble and expense of setting up an OTA antenna?,or am I missing something here?
Dewey,Thanks for the tip,I'll check out The Tampa Bay etc and others from ChannelMaster.
Simplesimon,You're right,I have no switch.I bit the bullet and sweated bullets and ran the other cable,so I'm ready to go[waiting for the G.D. thing to arrive Friday.]
Thanks,all and I'm sure I'll be picking your brains again soon
Kev

#13 OFFLINE   SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 09:57 PM

Kev: It's a matter of opinion whether CBS-HD is worth it. If you watch regular CBS, and can't get the HD feed via OTA, it's definitely worth it.

In your case, you'd need a Dish 300 with Legacy Dual LNBF and a pair of SW-21s to get-r-done. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...