Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

is DirecTV reliable?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   baiwen

baiwen

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 12:55 PM

I have been with Dish Network for a few years now and considering switching. The cost is actually a little better with DirecTV based on the package I am looking for. Also I have gone through 5 Dish PVRs in 2 years and I am getting tired of that, plus we lose our signal during any storm.

I wonder about the reliability of DirecTV equipment and how many people pay the extra $7.99/mo for service contracts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:09 PM

I think just reading up on posts here and elsewhere you'll see there aren't many problems with DirecTV equipment. I have a 3+ year old DirecTivo still going strong. My father still has an originial second generation Sony from 1996 going.

In all the receivers I've ever had over the past 8 years I've never had any problems at all.

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:24 PM

I know some folks will say their dish never goes out, even during the worst storms. However mine will go out with the occasional 'super' storm, you know, the ones that show up in purple on the TV stations doppler radar.

On the hardware, as a former E* customer (301, 508, 501, 6000, 811) the D* hardware isn't as fancy (feature wise) as the E* stuff but it works for it's main purpose, watching/recording TV.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 05:55 PM

Hi Baiwen, Welcome to DBSTalk! :hi:

In my experiences DirecTV is very reliable hardware wise. If you’re looking at a DVR, the DirecTiVo is a stable, rock solid DVR. With a properly aligned and tweak dish, you should only lose your signal during a heavy downpour no matter what service you have. I've lost DirecTV two or three times since I had it because rain, they were heavier storms and when they passed a few minutes later I was back in business.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#5 OFFLINE   midnight75

midnight75

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:02 PM

I've had DirecTV for just over a year now. I think that in the time that we've had it, we've only had 2 outages during VERY heavy weather. Each outage only lasted about 15 minutes. Yes, I think that DirecTV is reliable.
'It's time to play the feud!'
Richard Dawson

#6 OFFLINE   LonghornXP

LonghornXP

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 05:30 AM

Well the DVRs are just rock solid as well as their HD boxes and their regular boxes are no different even though I don't have a basic box anymore. Like others said their boxes don't have tons of features but they do exactly what they are built for and they just work. Its such a nice feeling to not have to reboot my cable box every single day. Also with a well installed system you shouldn't have much rain fade but sadly to say you will not avoid it all the time but its not as bad as others make it out to be unless your dish wasn't installed right or aligned. I live in Clearwater Florida and its always raining down here as you might know and I think my signal went out for about a minute maybe less but not enough to make me cry. Also that was during an ad so I could care less and Stargate was up and running but it rains all the time here and it only goes out when we have very thick clouds blocking the satellite. Most of the time we loose the signal when it isn't even raining but when we lose the signal we always have a down pour of rain within 15 minutes but our shows are still pouring into our TV set just fine.

Mainly what I'm saying is that for most people they think that everytime it rains your TV would go out but in my experience we loose our signal only about 20% of the time it rains which is quite good. Now I mostly watch TV at night like around 2-3am so DirecTV is an upgrade for me right there because my cable company would always have all digital channels down all night until around 5-6am so that to me was worse than rainfade.

I guess its all how you look at things but one thing we all can agree on is that DirecTVs boxes are nice and solid.

#7 OFFLINE   shy007

shy007

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 05:46 AM

I've had both Dish and Directv..... I did have some problems with the Dish system and I went back to cable and cancelled the package..... The receiver was bad and I didn't want to wait..... But I'm sure Dish is as reliable as directv..... I finally tried the directv system and the rest is history...... Both systems lost signal during our typical summer Thunderstorms..... I'm happy with directv and most in Columbia prefer the directv system because the Super Dish is too big.....

#8 OFFLINE   SnowFade

SnowFade

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 11:05 AM

To the second part of your question, I've never met anyone who dishes out the 7.99 for service contracts. I've had the service for two years, my father had it for 5 until he died, and neither one of us ever has had any problems (*knocks on wood*). Rain fade is going to vary on your location and how good your installer is, but it is usually short-lived.

#9 OFFLINE   Combow

Combow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:13 PM

Just look
HERE

And Here for images
Combow On Demand

Television…
It’s started out simply enough. A Capsule ray ... Classic Characters... And a nation transfix… A box that severs a portal… A window… And a mirror. And as it Evolves we follow it’s every move. Loyal to the end. With Top ranking customer Satisfaction, 100% Digital Quality picture & sound and, a commitment to providing the very best TV experience… It’s Time… It’s Time to rethink TV

spam firewall