Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Rant on DirecTV customer service email division! (Long)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 10:46 AM

A few days ago I sent an email to DirecTV to get an answer on why I can't get the special NBC-HD feed on Ch84.

Here's what I sent.

Sir,
I'm confused as to why I don't get the Olympic NBC-HD feed on channel
84. I have a waiver in place to receive NBC east and west coast feeds
on 382 and 383 and I subscribe to the HD package. My local NBC affiliate
is not O & O. Upon reading several forums it seems that NBC has decided
that local affiliates in this case need to sign off on allowing the
reception. Now, my local afiliate is a low power station and doesn't
even have a digital channel assigned by the FCC. So obviously can't
provide HD. So please turn on ch 84 for the remainder of the Olympics.
I guess this is a formal request for the Olympic feed.

A contact person at my local affiliate is:
-name removed-
Assistant Chief Engineer
WIVT / WBGH TV Binghamton, NY

Also, will the current waiver I have be sufficient for when DirecTV
offers regular NBC-HD feeds?

Thanks

Today I received this.

Thanks for writing. The 2004 Olympic Games will be shown August 11-29 on
the NBC Universal Networks (NBC, CNBC, USA, Bravo, Telemundo and NBC
HDTV). Though broadcast details and specific schedules are still being
finalized, you'll find the most up to date information at
www.nbcolympics.com. As it gets closer to the beginning of the games,
you will also be able to find detailed programming information on the
DIRECTV Program Guide at <http://www.directv.c...P/ProgramGuide> .

We recently announced plans to carry NBC's high definition Olympics
broadcast. Beginning August 13, NBC is featuring 8 hours of highlights
(looped 3 times daily) from the previous 24-36 hours of live games.
Please note that the HD broadcast will only be available to customers in
selected areas of the country (visit www.DIRECTV.com/HDOlympics closer
to the start of the games to see a complete list). If you live in one of
these markets and you have an HD DIRECTV System (HD television, DIRECTV
HD Receiver and triple-LNB dish), you'll be able to see NBC's HD
Olympics broadcast on our HD Special Events channel 84.

To find out if you're eligible to get New York or Los Angeles networks
at your present address, visit DIRECTV.com/Local and scroll down towards
the bottom of the page. Under the heading "Qualifying for Non-Local
Network Feeds," you'll see a link that reads, "click here to see if you
qualify." Clicking on this link will launch a new browser window that
asks you to enter your address to find out if you are eligible for LA or
New York networks. If the results say that you are eligible, call us at
1-800-531-5000 to have them added to your service.

If you're not in an area where the NBC HD Olympics broadcast is
available, you may still be able to receive it. Our best suggestion is
to try using an off-air antenna in conjunction with your DIRECTV
equipment. Check with your local HDTV retailer for more information
about off-air antennas, and continue to visit www.DIRECTV.com/HDTV for
the latest news and announcements as they become available.

Sincerely,

Gautam
DIRECTV Customer Service

I don't think these people can understand what they read.

My response to them.

Sorry,
But that reply was totally useless. It just repeated what I had already read elsewhere. Especially, since the Olympics are half over.
It is very obvious to me that you did not read or possibly understand what my question was.
If you had checked you would have seen that I have waivers in place for all four major networks as I had stated. And, that I can't receive my local much less in HD. That eligibility page indeed shows that I am eligible for NBC. Enter my address to see for yourself. (**** rd, Binghamton, NY 13901).

I do get the WNBC and KNBC feeds for NBC, yet I do not get Ch 84 Olympic feed because of some other rule. Please reread my initial question and answer IT.

Can't you do a little work instead of just sending a canned response in hopes that I would ignore it?

Jim

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Combow

Combow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 02:20 PM

what he's trying to say it turn the channel.

I have it on like 4 diffrent channels turn to channel 355 and 356 and 382 and 383 and my local channel MIA WTVJ-6.

It's doesn't matter that you local station only shows it some time. look on your guide and find another channel that has it.

If none of them have it...Don't E-mail them Call them and tell them that.

Problem Solved.
Combow On Demand

Television…
It’s started out simply enough. A Capsule ray ... Classic Characters... And a nation transfix… A box that severs a portal… A window… And a mirror. And as it Evolves we follow it’s every move. Loyal to the end. With Top ranking customer Satisfaction, 100% Digital Quality picture & sound and, a commitment to providing the very best TV experience… It’s Time… It’s Time to rethink TV

#3 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 08:22 PM

No, you don't understand. I wanted to know why I can't get the HD feed of the Olympics. The response from DirecTV was just a canned response. And, this all started with a phone call when the Olympics started and I didn't get ch 84.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#4 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:24 AM

All DirecTV e-mail questions get a response. Its just usually the wrong response. Just a canned answer out of the Big Book of Why the Customer is Always Wrong, or something totally off topic, or "call customer service".

Its worthless.

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 11:23 AM

Sad, but all too true. I had played a little CSR merry go round and thought I'd try the email route. I knew better, but wanted to vent. We'll see how my response is handled.

Years ago, I pested them about the lack of national WB and UPN. I guess I got someone's attention because I actually got a phone call from them. Unfortunately, the end result of that call was "don't mention WB and UPN again". That's when I went to Dish for their Superstation pack.

#6 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,749 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 05:21 PM

I've always almost gone the email route when I need anything done or had a special request and its always worked out. In fact just last week I arranged for an upgrade to HD. I had emailed them last Saturday asking basically I was interested in a conversion to HD what can you do for me, I got an email back next day saying theyd contact me in a day or 2 to talk it over. Monday I get a call from the Boise Call Center, bottom line got a Phase III w/OTA Antenna...HD receiver...and Installation for $199....$20 off Premier for 6 months and the HD pack free for 6 months. My local NBC is not O & O, however, NBC got them to sign off before the Olympics permitting ppl in my local DMA (Cleveland) access to the special feed. In my case its not needed as my local NBC does HD tho. You should contact your local NBC affliliate and see if they signed off on it.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:13 PM

I have been in contact with my NBC affiliate and they don't have my name on record as having a waiver. But, I have the letter from DirecTV that states that I do, but only the networks are listed not the affiliate that signed off. The problem may be that my local NBC affiliate used to be a retransmission from another city and they may have been the ones that granted the waiver. I've also emailed them. It's just the principle of the thing now. I want to make sure things are in order if and when NBC and DirecTV offer the regular HD programming. I'll try the phone call route once I hear from the other affiliate.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...