Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I think Directv Insurance is a big waste of Money!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Who think Directv Insurance is a big waste of money? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Who think Directv Insurance is a big waste of money?

1. Yes (Nothing has ever went wrong) (11 votes [35.48%])

Percentage of vote: 35.48%

2. No (I mean it's safe) (16 votes [51.61%])

Percentage of vote: 51.61%

3. It doesn't matter to me (4 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   Combow

Combow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 03:16 PM

I mean i been paying them 4.99 for 3 years and nothing has ever when wrong with my box or remote.

4.99 X 36 months is = 179.64 with that price i could by a new receiver. IN FACT A DVR.
Combow On Demand

Television…
It’s started out simply enough. A Capsule ray ... Classic Characters... And a nation transfix… A box that severs a portal… A window… And a mirror. And as it Evolves we follow it’s every move. Loyal to the end. With Top ranking customer Satisfaction, 100% Digital Quality picture & sound and, a commitment to providing the very best TV experience… It’s Time… It’s Time to rethink TV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 22 August 2004 - 03:30 PM

I have two SD Tivo's a HD Tivo and a Sony HD300 STB. To me it's worth the $7.99/month to cover all this hardware, just in case.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:04 PM

3 years and nothing has ever when wrong with my box or remote.

Well, I don't know about you, but I'd say having hardware not die or that's not deficative isn't really a bad thing. :)

If you don't feel you are getting your moneys worth, why not cancel?
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#4 OFFLINE   compdude68

compdude68

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 06:15 PM

Agreed the Directv insurance is a waste. As I am one of the droids working for circuit city I am faced with explaining this and the service the store offers on it.

One thing I found out from alot of customers is that insurance through DTV can only be used every 6 months. I have had several customers drop the insurance and have to buy new receivers ($50) because of this.

Granted the CC insurance is like 14.99 for the D10 for 3yrs which is not bad if you think that your getting the recievers for free after rebate... and insurance for the dish is like $6 for 3yr which is for someone to go out and fix it. :rolleyes:

So when you look at the diffrences it makes DTV's look pretty bad.

Note: I don't have the insurance on any of my equipment and have had good luck so far... and I am in florida on the water... where lighting is frequent...

Compdude

#5 OFFLINE   kwajr

kwajr

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 06:22 PM

I mean i been paying them 4.99 for 3 years and nothing has ever when wrong with my box or remote.

4.99 X 36 months is = 179.64 with that price i could by a new receiver. IN FACT A DVR.

its time you broke it and got a new one

#6 OFFLINE   Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts
  • LocationOcean County, NJ zip code 08008

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:33 PM

It's nice to have DirecTV send someone out to re-peak my dish after a harsh winter free of charge!

DirecTV insurance is a good thing!

-------------------------
Note to DirecTV:
My Zip code is 08008.

I live 60 miles East of Philadelphia.

I'm 83 miles South of NY.

Comcast provides KYW, WPVI, WCAU, WHYY, WPHL, WTXF, WPSG & WMCN all in both SD & HD in Ocean County.
Why don't you?

#7 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:26 PM

I have 3 generations of receivers (the oldest being 7 years old) currently in use and I've never had a single problem with any of them. I never considered getting the insurance.

#8 OFFLINE   jpurkey

jpurkey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 01:54 PM

It's worth it, especially if you can't do the repairs youself. Though I am glad we waited until we had a problem before signing up with the protection plan. It was $30 that way for the first call, but still better than having paid $5.99 a month for 2 years. Plus the receivers were already covered for those first 2 years anyway.

#9 OFFLINE   Fredfa

Fredfa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 04:49 PM

If a poll were really to be in any way accurate it might be worded a little more down the middle, instead of making it obvious what answer it wanted.
Something like: "Is DirecTV's $7.99 monthly insurance charge a good investment?"
Frankly, even without any problems in 8 years of DirecTV use, having TiVos and HD receivers for years (and now an HD TiVO) the peace of mind knowing things can be almost instantly fixed, and the quicker access to tech support makes it a worthwhile investment for our (my wife's especially) peace of mind.
In my mind, it is similar to collision insurance.
(What a waste of money, huh...you haven't had accident in years!)
I haven't had an accident in 20 years, but when I do, I want my car fixed -- and I don't want to have to shoulder the big payout all at once (or all by myself).

#10 OFFLINE   goodcableguy

goodcableguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 07:37 PM

For the money the protection plan is a value, there is no six month restriction on equipment or service call. The only restriction is 30 day no claim period when you sign up for it and that is waived if you have the $30.00 service call. I know of people who have worked with them and you will not be disappointed.
Have a Great Day

#11 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:12 AM

I don't believe comparing auto insurance to home DBS equipment is a very good analogy. Comparing the payout of an auto repair which could be $3000 to DBS equipment that could be $300 is a very different scenario. If you have a $100 DBS receiver and pay $7.99/month for insurance, you could buy a new receiver every 12 months for the cost of premiums. You can't buy a new car with 12 months of auto insurance premiums.

For some, the peace of mind that comes with insurance for electronic equipment is worth the extra cost and that's fine. One thing to keep in mind is that electronic stores push the insurance on every purchase because they make a LOT of money on insurance since most equipment doesn't need to be repaired within the coverage period. They wouldn't pitch it nearly as hard if they were having to do a lot of repairs and losing money.

#12 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 10:44 AM

Is there an option for both?
I used to have the insurance (Actually was leasing D* equipment after the Primestar conversion) I had to have my pole mount dish moved to a different spot in the yard as P* looked at different sat's than D*. I also got a Hughes receiver replaced (The second one started having similar problems and oddly enough the problems disappeared when I moved the Weather channel out of the center position of my Turbo Tune). I also had new coax connectors added to the old cables after they fell off.

A couple of years ago I talked D* to getting me off the Insurance plan (They "gave" me the equipment) and I have not had any problems since.

Remember, All insurance is only sold to make the seller money. It does make sense for some large things because of possible large losses (Life, Home, Car, Health...)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...