Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Locals AND Distants + HD on same acct ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dvdguyjt

dvdguyjt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:56 PM

Hi --

I'm considering Directv and have a question.

I am eligible for Distant Nets, however, Directv offers a locals package for my DMA (I live way TOOO far to get any signal by antenna...and the website says I qualify for distants).

Anyway, if I sign up for my DMA locals, can I still get distants?

Can I get both E&W feeds of the distants (total of 3 of each network), or only 1?

Also, on the HD CBS and (soon to be)NBC, do you get both E&W HD feeds or just one?

Thanks.

JT

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:17 PM

I'm not sure how having your locals and the DNS works. But, I suspect that you either can't get both or you'll only get one of the DNS.

What you might try is to get the waivers in place for the DNS first. Wait a month or so and then call about your locals.

Have you checked you eligibility for DNS on the DirecTV website?
http://directvdnseli...ddressEntry.asp
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 09:42 PM

***sigh***

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#4 OFFLINE   dvdguyjt

dvdguyjt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 07:20 PM

[quote name='TNGTony']***sigh***

Meaning?????

#5 OFFLINE   matthpd195

matthpd195

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:00 PM

If you qualify for the DNS feeds you CAN get either NY, LY or BOTH feeds.

#6 OFFLINE   Ben

Ben

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:17 PM

Thanks for the input Matthpd195. Is that the same for the HD feeds as well?

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 08:42 PM

It has been for me with CBS-HD. Hopefully the same rules will apply for the other networks.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   Ben

Ben

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 09:38 PM

Thanks.

#9 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:06 AM

***sigh***

Meaning?????

Okay, but this is REALLY the last time I'm going to answer this question :D

Meaning the question has been asked so many times and invariably when the correct answer is given, an argument ensues by those that refuse to believe it.

Qualification for locals = apples
Qualification for distants = oranges
Qualification for PBS National = Cumquats
Qualification for HD CBS = Oranges with a dash of bannanas!

Apples = Must live within the TV Market to qualify for local channels. That's it.

Oranges = Must live outside the grade B signal intensity of any an all network affiliates regardless of their TV Market. Each network is treated individually and you can have a maximum of two of each distant network.

Cumquats = If you can get a local PBS from satellite, you cannot get the national PBS. This is by contract with PBS, Dish and DirecTV. Some other areas where locals are not available cannot get PBS national either depending on their contracts.

Oranges HD style = If you qualify for distant CBS, you qualify (and get for "free") CBSHD along with the analog distant net. This is by contract with CBS

Bannanas = If you live inside a TV market that has a CBS owned and operated station AND you are outside the grade B signal of any other CBS affiliate regardless of it point of origin, you qualify (and get for "free") CBSHD along with the analog distant net. This is by Contract with CBS

Why the fruit analogy?
Because none have anything to do with the other in any way.
Each is separate and distinct.
One does not affect the other.
Each one is different.
They are not connected in any way.
Qualification for one is not tied to qualification to the other.
Each is separate.
Even in fruit punch the fruit stay separate and distinct.
At a molecular level, even in a smoothie, the fruit are never mixed.

So...yes, you can have all 3: local, 2 distant nets and HD. But most likely not PBS National.

See ya
tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#10 OFFLINE   Ben

Ben

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:24 AM

Tony,

Well put. Thanks for taking the time to explain. Much appreciated.

Ben

#11 OFFLINE   Fredfa

Fredfa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:12 PM

Tony, I agree, very well explained!!

#12 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:27 PM

No Strawberries?!?

#13 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:29 PM

Oranges HD style = If you qualify for distant CBS, you qualify (and get for "free") CBSHD along with the analog distant net. This is by contract with CBS

I will also add that if you qualify for Distants for CBS, you will also get CBS HD E&W, whereas if you receive CBS HD via satellite because you live in an O&O, you only get one CBS HD feed (East for Eastern and Central time zones, and West for Mountain and Pacific). Hope this helps too!

~Alan

#14 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:23 AM

In order to disarm a man attacking you with a banana........

STOP! This post is getting MUCH too silly!
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 25 August 2004 - 12:04 PM

No Strawberries?!?

No...some hungry sailor pilfered the strawberries. There is a lack of discipline in this board and I'm going to get to the bottom of it, see!

Now where are those marbles?

See ya
Tony

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#16 OFFLINE   hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:45 AM

I will also add that if you qualify for Distants for CBS, you will also get CBS HD E&W, whereas if you receive CBS HD via satellite because you live in an O&O, you only get one CBS HD feed (East for Eastern and Central time zones, and West for Mountain and Pacific). Hope this helps too!

~Alan

So if you qualify for distant nets, but aren't paying for E&W feeds of CBS, what happens then? Do you not get CBS HD? What if you subscribe to the HD package?

#17 OFFLINE   jabroni

jabroni

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 06:53 AM

I get both my locals AND all the distant nets. I live in a grade A signal area for a couple of the networks. They key to my success is having a waiver for all four of the networks. The reason I want the networks piped to me from Direct is so that I can receive the superior digital/HD feeds from NY/LA.

#18 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 08:39 AM

So if you qualify for distant nets, but aren't paying for E&W feeds of CBS, what happens then? Do you not get CBS HD? What if you subscribe to the HD package?

CBS HD and the HD Package are NOT related. Your ability to get CBS HD is wholly dependent on whether you subscribe to a CBS channel in an O&O market whether individually or as part of a locals package. I'm not sure about folks in white areas. If you don't get a CBS channel in your market they will charge you $1.50 for the HD channel. If you already subscribe to a CBS channel than the HD channel is "free" when you pay for the other CBS channel.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   ramcm7

ramcm7

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:57 AM

In order to disarm a man attacking you with a banana........

STOP! This post is getting MUCH too silly!

So NOW you'll tell us about pointed sticks?
:lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...