Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

picture help on Toshiba widescreen projection tv

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bluevoyager

bluevoyager

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 05:24 PM

Hi Can anyone help me? I have a sir- ts 360 samsung hdtv receiver.
I have a Toshiba 65hd80 widescreen tv with directv. My problem is on non hdtv broadcasts, I get little squares in the picture especially when graphics are present for example the score of a game. On hd broadcasts, the picture is great. My dvd and vcr run through my tv and there is no pixelation present. I have also tried different recieivers and still I get the little squares in the picture. Is there any solution? Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 06:40 PM

How do you have the HD receiver connected to the TV? Component? DVI?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   Gilitar

Gilitar

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 10:14 PM

Hi Can anyone help me? I have a sir- ts 360 samsung hdtv receiver.
I have a Toshiba 65hd80 widescreen tv with directv. My problem is on non hdtv broadcasts, I get little squares in the picture especially when graphics are present for example the score of a game. On hd broadcasts, the picture is great. My dvd and vcr run through my tv and there is no pixelation present. I have also tried different recieivers and still I get the little squares in the picture. Is there any solution? Thanks

With a screen size of 65" you will see EVERY defect in picture quality. My uncle has a 55" and you can see the same little "squares". You don't see them on HDTV brodcast because the resolution is much higher.

#4 OFFLINE   bluevoyager

bluevoyager

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 04:23 PM

How do you have the HD receiver connected to the TV? Component? DVI?

No my tv does not have a dvi connection only component. I have called toshiba and they told me they do not offer a converter.

#5 OFFLINE   beasst37799

beasst37799

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 05:14 PM

i had this problem and it was solved by changing the cables out with better ones the problem went away .
Rather die on my feet than live on my knees :soapbox:

#6 OFFLINE   bluevoyager

bluevoyager

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:22 PM

i had this problem and it was solved by changing the cables out with better ones the problem went away .

Which specific cables did you change? I always have had expensive red, green, blue component cables connected. Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:55 PM

There isn't anything you can really do about it. It's a bad SD picture blown up to huge size. You are going to see the macro-blocking no matter what. You can lessen it by doing two things:

1) Get your HDTV calibrated. It will make a world of difference
2) Sit the proper distance from the set. At 65" you should probably be at least 15 feet away if not more. Optimal viewing distance for my 43" is 8-10 feet so for 65" it's much more.

#8 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 08:43 PM

Turning the sharpness setting down can help.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   bluevoyager

bluevoyager

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 04:34 AM

Turning the sharpness setting down can help.

Thanks for everyones help. I am getting a much better picture now. Turning down the sharpness helped a lot.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...