Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Compare D* and E* PQ

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Antennaguy

Antennaguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:06 AM

Like other posters of this site, I have kept E* for the Superstations and two waivers but take my major service from D*. When I switched, I felt that the PQ was better on D* but was never able to directly compare the same channel. (I could get NASA on both services but felt that was not a fair comparison as often their PQ is at a minimum).
It seems that for the Olympics E* has provided free of charge all of the NBC related channels ( CNBC, USA, Bravo). Thus I was able to do a comparison of both services on the same major network channel, both connected with S-video cable.
The best picture was very clearly Directv. Especially on a close-up of a person talking, the E* signal showed digital artifacts and just did not look smooth and natural around the mouth. The D* signal was as good as a perfect analog antenna signal with no sign of pixilization.
This makes me glad that I switched to D* for my major service, although I do applaud E* for providing WB and UPN which I would not be able to get any other way (except for a terrible cable signal).

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   SnowFade

SnowFade

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 09:20 AM

While I have to agree that D* has very good picture quality (and I've never experienced E*), I have noticed an odd thing during some of the Olympic coverage. Sometimes it seems that parts of the picture move faster than others. For example, during an interview, the athlete's mouth and chin move around naturally while the rest of their head is frozen. Anybody else see this? Is it an affiliate problem?

Just curious.

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 02:12 PM

E* is generally considered to have slightly better PQ overall, but there's nothing necessarily "bad" about D*'s PQ it's just not quite as good. I think it's due to the newer compression schemes used by E*.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 02:16 PM

I really don't want to get into a my provider is better than yours again. Suffice to say I perfer Dish over Directv and Dish cares about picture quality issues. They always respond very quickly to any of my concerns with an e-mail and a follow up call. I never got that when I had any problems from Directv on picture quality.:rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...