Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

DTV SD and HDTV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gobiewan_*

Guest_gobiewan_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2004 - 08:25 AM

Does anyone out there have this setup? I'd like to get a better television but I don't plan on upgrading my service to HD any time soon. (I'm addicted to my DTivo but not willing to shell out all the $$ for an HDTivo.)

Just taking into account the SD and not DVDs, is it worth it to upgrade the TV? I realize that you'll get pixelation with the larger screens. I'm still not sure how large I want to go yet with the tv.

Thanks.

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 August 2004 - 08:57 AM

The general concenses is that a HD TV will make SD programming look worst since it will have the resolution to show the problems in the signal. If your current set is working I'd say just leave things alone until you have some HD to watch.

If you're already a D* customer would you think about getting a non-Tivo HD box? You could give D* a call and see if they'd make you a deal on a HD STB, you won't be able to time shift but you'd get some HD content now.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 10:59 AM

I have a toshiba 52" with OTA tuner connected to both a HD Receiver and a SD Receiver. The PQ over the air is awesome. The difference in PQ from the satelite between SD and HD is like day and night.

However when viewing SD channels the quality is pretty good. A lot of my friends will come to watch something and they will ask: "Is that HD?" when we are watching SD. It depends on the channel. HGTV, the locals, international channels, they seems "fuzzier." CNN, ESPN, MSNBC, Bravo, and the Fox Sports channel are "sharper." My guess is that the later channels are compressed less and therefore the PQ is better.

It will also help to get a properly sized TV for your room.

Check this links for info on this:

http://www.crutchfie...ome/tv_faq.html

http://www.myhomethe...calculator.html

I would recommend that you get a 16:9 HDTV with a built-in tuner. That way you can start by watching HDTV over the air without having to get the HDTV package from D*/E*. There is more and more stuff to watch all the time. Specially sports. I found out that when watching sports in HD, I don't miss the PVR functions that I have available through the SD receiver. Yeah, I miss the occasional rewind to see the play but the improvement in quality is worth it.

Also the Toshiba's have a nice strech feature that doesn't distort the image when displaying a 4:3 source in the 16:9 screen. Make sure that the brand you get has this feature. Toshiba calls it Theater Wide.

spam firewall