Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Multiswitch question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ben

Ben

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 07:28 PM

I am wondering if you can install a multi switch behind another multiswitch? At the moment I have a multiswitch at the dish which came with the HD dish. Due to the fact that I only have 2 cables running to the dish I cannot have anymore recievers on the system than my directivo. If I would buy another multiswitch and place it in the house would I be able to add more receivers?

Thanks for the help

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 07:56 PM

What dish do you have? To get HD from DirecTV you need the Phase III triple LNB dish with four outputs. I think you already do, so you need to run two more lines from the dish. Then if you need more than four you connect a cascadable multiswitch to the dish. This switch requires all four lines connected in order to receiver signals from all three satellite.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   Ben

Ben

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:26 PM

I have the DTV dish. I have all three lnb's hooked up with the sat b and sat c combined into the channel master multiswitch along with both of the sat a's lnbs into their perspective inputs on the multiswitch. So from what I gather I can use a multi-switch if it is a cascadable mulstiswitch. Is that true or do I have to run 2 more cables to the switch?. Much thanks for the info.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:54 PM

Yes, you will definitely need to run two more cables. The switch permanently assigns dedicated transponders to the four low and high voltage switching allocations to both the 101 and 119 lnb's. The 110 lnb is actually configured as part of the high voltage section on the 119 lnb. So, using two connectons will only get you 101 on any cascaded multiswitch.

The best model of switch for this is the Zinwell SAM4803 4x8 multiswitch. It was designed in mid 2003 and more advance than the earlier 5x8's like the overpriced Terk sold at Circuit City for $130+. Dealers and installers pay $50-60 plus shipping for them.

The nice thing about this switch is that it works with all combination of DirecTV dishes and receivers. It will work without the Cannnel Master switch that you mention and with it.

If you have trouble getting the switch I mention, send me an IM. As a professional installer, I have a number of them on hand and can send you one at dealer cost.

#5 OFFLINE   Ben

Ben

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 05:59 AM

Mike, Thanks for the info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...