Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR10-250 Died!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   paul01463

paul01463

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 08:42 AM

I have been using an HR10-250 for around two months. I use the HDMI interface to directly feed my Panasonic plasma screen. Until yesterday, the interface had been a little flaky on startup, and I needed to toggle the resolution from 480p to 1080i a couple of time in order to get the picture to display properly. Yesterday, the picture started to deteriorate, showing large blocks of off-color pixels, which moved in bands across the screen. I powered down and restarted the unit and the HDMI interface was completely dead - nothing at all. I powered down the unit a second time, disconnected the HDMI cable and connected the component video connection: nothing. I then power-recycled a third time with only the S-Video output connected, got the welcome screen, then nothing.

I called DirecTv and after an hour and a half of frustration with a less-then-stellar customer service rep (no, I cannot move through the menus because there is not video output!, yes the phone line is connected, yes I have re-cycled the power etc.) who kept insisting that this is the first HDMI failure she had encountered, I finally got to talk to a level three rep.

The level three rep was cognizant of the HDMI failure problem and seemed to think this was happening with 12-15% of the "early" units, but also thought the problem had been resolved by the replacement of some coils on the HDMI card. - this would seem to pass the common sense test; perhaps the coils are part of a timing circuit, which would affect the resonate frequency of the HDMI interface and thus its stability? The level three rep did not seem unduly surprised that the HDMI failure also caused an S-Video out failure.

So, DirecTv has dispatched a new unit, which I should have by Wednesday at the latest.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shappyss

Shappyss

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 08:56 AM

sometimes i also have to toggle through the resolutions to get picture. do u think this a sign of a failure?

good lcuk with the new unit

#3 OFFLINE   paul01463

paul01463

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 01:29 PM

sometimes i also have to toggle through the resolutions to get picture. do u think this a sign of a failure?

good lcuk with the new unit

Having to toggle resolutions in order to get a picture may well be a sign of impending failure. Originally, I thought that toggling the resolution was a way to force the copy-protection into sync, now I'm not so sure. What is the make and model of your display?

#4 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 02:34 PM

I was toggling the resolutions last week and the whole unit almost dragged to a halt. It came back 10 minutes later though and I haven't had trouble since. Makes me wonder if the resolution toggle likes to cause problems.

#5 OFFLINE   paul01463

paul01463

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:34 AM

I called DirecTv last night to ask for a tracking number for my replacement HR10-250. After many, many transfers, I spoke to a supervisor named Bill at extension 4361, who told me that it would take several days longer to ship my replacement unit because these units are so expensive and DirecTv had to take several more steps before a replacement unit could be shipped. I told him that according to the service contract, DirecTv was obligated to ship within three days, which he denied - stating that there was no time obligation attached to the service contract. Having neither a paper copy of the contract, nor web access, I was not in a position to debate the point.

After researching the replacement-time issue this morning - the web states within about 72 hours, the paperwork states next day service - I called DirecTv again. After about an hour of transferring and holding, I am presently speaking to a supervisor named Patty at extension 4601, who is telling me that the replacement units are back ordered. I am explaining that that is DirecTv's issue not mine and that DirecTv is in breach of contract at this point - and so it goes.

#6 OFFLINE   Shappyss

Shappyss

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 06:40 AM

I have a sony KP-57WS500 and it is connected with DVI cable

spam firewall