Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

thomson rca recievers suck

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2002 - 12:36 AM

the hughes recievers www.hughes.com really blow away anything rca has come out with. rca`s new drd 435-485 RG recievers are horrible. the guide system is really slow and most of the features on the guide dont even work and the picture quality is not as good as previous models. The new hughes models are state of the art, very fast and full of pleasent suprises!!! i will never buy rca again ! Hughes Rulez!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rusty

Rusty

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 07:08 AM

When I was getting ready to purchase equipment and install DirecTV I went to a couple of web sites that offered information about the various brands of receivers, such as features, good points, bad points, etc. On one site where a group of Engineers, working for an independent lab, had put several brands to the test, Hughes rated highest. At the end of the evaluation comments it was noted that several of the Engineers participating in the project had installed DirecTV in their homes but that not one of them had bought RCA. That was all that I needed to know. I purchased Hughes receivers and have never regretted that decision.

#3 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 06:58 PM

Try a DISH receiver, you'll be thankful for your RCA receiver:)

#4 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 07:13 PM

And soon theyll be one in the same, with Thomson making STBs for E*.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#5 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 07:47 PM

Which should be nice, as they'll hopefully be better than current DISH receivers!

#6 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 10:38 PM

I have had both - a Mitsubishi (made by Hughes) and a RCA basic receiver before I bought my UTV units. The only advantage the RCA had was I like the remote better. Other than that, as far as basic receivers go, RCA's guide is harder to read, and slower to respond. I wouldn't go as far as to say they suck, but I prefer the Hughes.

The basic RCA receivers should not be confused with the Ultimatetv receivers. The UTV receivers under the brand of RCA and Sony are identical, and are quick to respond and function flawlessly.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#7 OFFLINE   markh

markh

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 25 May 2002 - 11:53 PM

Who actually builds the UTV units?

#8 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 12:14 AM

Mine say they are made by Thomson Electronics and made in Mexico. I'm sur e they are assembled by a subcontractor, I don't know who, though.

The Sony and RCA look different on the outside - the Sony is silver and the RCA is black, but they have the exact same operating system and menu systems.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#9 OFFLINE   MarkA

MarkA

God Bless America!

• Gold Members
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 12:16 AM

AFAIK Mark H, they are built by the company's whose brand is on them, but the insides are based on a referance design with almost no change, much like TiVo

#10 OFFLINE   markh

markh

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 26 May 2002 - 01:55 PM

Thanks. You never know these days, I have a Dish receiver that says JVC on it and I know from my forum reading that JVC didn't build them.

#11 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 08:27 AM

same thing the Philips E* units
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#12 OFFLINE   timf

timf

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 09:58 PM

I would have to agree with this original post in this thread that the new generation Hughes receivers are the best. I have a Sony A65 (which is the same internally as the Hughes), and it is the fastest, sleekest DirecTV receiver I've ever used. I can't judge the RCAs since I haven't used them, but I have heard the speed doesn't even compare. Of course, I use this receiver with a TiVo standalone so I don't use the guide that frequently, but it's still a wonderful receiver.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...