Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD TiVo problems/concerns

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   acmca

acmca

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 10:28 PM

Have had my HD TiVo for about a month and have noticed several things and was wondering if they were considered acceptable or I had a defective unit. Tried calling support, but that was a waste. I have had a SAT-T60 for about 4 or 5 years, so these are things that are noticeably different.

1. Slow switch between menus - when I delete a program after watching it or go to the now playing list or the TiVo menu from a show, it will often take up to 10 secs to switch over to the new menu. There will be a lot of times where I will have the last frozen image of whatever I was watching as the background (for several seconds) for the TiVo menu items.

2. Dropped audio/video - it usually happens only once or twice for for a sec or two during any given recorded program, but this is something I almost never saw with my SAT-T60.

3. Out of sync audio/video. This again is happening more often than I am used to, but it may have to do with the greater amount of surround sound programs that are getting recorded.

4. Slow menus - I would say slow on both guides, certainly much slower than the SAT-T60.

5. Not integrated SD OTA programming. Now this is the kinda strange thing that maybe I just don't understand. As an example, take CBS, which is channel 13 for me. Using my other Sony HD receiver, I can tune to channel 13 without having purchased local channels - it exists and is integrated into my guide. I can also tune to 13.1, 13.2, etc.
On my HD TiVo, I cannot. I can tune to any of the 'digital' channel (13.1, 13.2, etc), but cannot tune to 13, without having purchased local channels via DTV. Is there some setup thing that I am missing?

6. Amazingly long waits when changing program record priority. Average is around 5-7 minutes, long was almost 14 minutes.

Other than those annoyances, I haven't had any other problems. No strange noises. No missed recordings, no reboots, etc. Maybe I should count my blessings?

Sorry if I am asking repeat questions, I looked through the forum and the only thing I saw discussed was the slow menu thing - which didn't really indicate if it was slow or slower than the equivalent on the non-HD Direct TiVo's.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dswallow

dswallow

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 06:47 AM

5) The HR10-250 cannot receive NTSC OTA programming, so there's no reason to include "channel 13" in the guide for it, unless you receive it from DirecTV.
Doug Swallow
doug@2150.com

#3 OFFLINE   joema

joema

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 12:23 AM

1. Slow switch between menus - when I delete a program after watching it or go to the now playing list or the TiVo menu from a show, it will often take up to 10 secs to switch over to the new menu.

My HR10-250 is slowish, but not 10 sec. I'd say maybe 2-3 sec, sometimes.

2. Dropped audio/video - it usually happens only once or twice for for a sec or two during any given recorded program

Never have this.

3. Out of sync audio/video.

I never have this.

4. Slow menus - I would say slow on both guides, certainly much slower than the SAT-T60.

I have an HR10-250 and SD DVR120. They are both sluggish, less so with the List-style grid. Fortunately I've adapted to the "Tivo way", so mostly use wishlists, season passes, or browse by specific channel. Hence the slow guide doesn't bother me much. Also the List-style grid is a lot faster than the DirecTV Grid.

5. Not integrated SD OTA programming

I don't have this problem. Don't understand what would cause it for you.

6. Amazingly long waits when changing program record priority. Average is around 5-7 minutes, long was almost 14 minutes.

I've seen 1 min. waits when changing season pass priorities on my SD DVR120, but then I have 20 wishlists. I've never seen a 5 min delay, for anything, on either HD or SD Tivo.

...was slow or slower than the equivalent on the non-HD Direct TiVo's.

My SD DVR120 is actually somewhat slower for some functions, I think because I have so many wishlists. But overall the sluggishness I see is well worth the Tivo functionality. However your delays are much greater, and they may indicate some kind of problem. I don't know if it's hardware, software, or setup. You could re-try guided setup and make sure everything is as you expected.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...