Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Who plans on buying a 721?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#21 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2002 - 10:29 AM

If I can upgrade my 501, sure. If not, I'll never convince the wife.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2002 - 12:17 PM

Neilster, I have a 501 also, I can't say my wife is happy about it either, but she knows how bad I want the 2 tuner.
Maybe I can sell the 501 or my 4900 to make up some of the difference at the time.

Chris Blount replied above:From my latest info the price will be $499 and an upgrade path from an older receiver like the DP or the 501 will not be made available until a few months after the release of the 721.

I wasn't around when the 501 came out to know how long it took Dish to offer an upgrade path.

#23 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2002 - 08:29 PM

As I recall, it was about 6 months before Dish offered the 501 for $199 to existing customers if they upgraded to AT150 and CC autopay.

#24 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2002 - 05:25 AM

Thanks Mark, I've been wondering about that.
I love my 501 so much that I'm afraid I can't wait 6 months.
I really want the 2 tuners. :)

#25 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 05:42 PM

I won't touch it with a 10' pole till it's proven to be more stable than the 501. I will not be a Guinea Pig for Charlie's Beta testing program.

#26 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2002 - 04:57 AM

I thought we might here something about the 721 or 508 on last nights Charlie Chat. :(
***sigh***

#27 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2002 - 07:34 AM

I finally got to see the Dealer Chat from last week over the weekend, from what was said on the Dealer Chat I would not be suprised if the 508 was ever released.

Jim said they wanted opinions from Dealers if they think the customers out there would want to spend $100 for a larger hard drive. (Shouldn't they do the market research FIRST before doing a product announcement?)

#28 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2002 - 09:25 PM

You'd think that with the price in hard drives dropping, E* could just put out a 40 or 60 GB expansion module to fit the 501. I understand the 508 to be a 501 with the twice the harddrive. Not worth most 501 owners to take the loss on selling their units to upgrade.
I personally already got my 501 sold when the 721 comes out so I'm all over it.

spam firewall