Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mesh plays Doom 3

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Unthinkable

Unthinkable

• Registered
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:01 PM

http://www.idsoftware.com/public/patrick/fun/mesh/

:lol:

"Look Hollom, its leadership they want. Strength. Now you find that within yourself and you will earn their respect. With that respect, true discipline goes by the board." (Capt. Jack Aubrey)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:39 PM

I finished this game on the easy setting (I like to replay it then at the higher difficulties... I've done this same thing with Halo, Tron 2.0, and a bunch of other games. I get to see the plot without too much frustration, and then play it at the harder levels or ramp up the challenge).

An amazing game with lots of holy ccrraapp!!!! moments. Just make sure your machine is up to snuff. My one year old 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 with an ATI 9800 even hiccuped a few times. And don't forget to update all your drivers. Mine crashed a few times until I updated the video driver......
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Unthinkable

Unthinkable

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 01:07 PM

I finished this game on the easy setting (I like to replay it then at the higher difficulties... I've done this same thing with Halo, Tron 2.0, and a bunch of other games. I get to see the plot without too much frustration, and then play it at the harder levels or ramp up the challenge).

An amazing game with lots of holy ccrraapp!!!! moments. Just make sure your machine is up to snuff. My one year old 3.2 GHz Pentium 4 with an ATI 9800 even hiccuped a few times. And don't forget to update all your drivers. Mine crashed a few times until I updated the video driver......

Looks like a ton of fun. I desperately need to upgrade my ever aging PC when money isn't quite so tight. Still working with a P3 500 MHZ system that is less powerful then my X-Box. Will be nice when I can play games like this and Unreal Tournament 2004.
"Look Hollom, its leadership they want. Strength. Now you find that within yourself and you will earn their respect. With that respect, true discipline goes by the board." (Capt. Jack Aubrey)

#4 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 03:53 PM

Ouch. That box won't cut it no matter how many upgrades you do. If you can't spring for the new PC wait a few months.... it is supposed to hit XBox by the end of the year (XBox Live enabled I hear as well).

Of course, nothing is gonna pry Halo2 out of my console until at least Christmas.......
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Tom_P

Tom_P

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 07:44 AM

Men I can wait for Hallo 2, just a couple of weeks.
Regarding Doom 3, men I haven't bought a PC game 1 year. Been hooked with Medal of Honor Allied Assault for a long time. My concern is that the new PC games are demanding too much money specially on Video Cards. The one I want is $400 damn but there's the WAF as I learned today(Wife Acceptancy Factor) in the way. I have an Athlon XP 3000 1024 Ram DDR 400mhz with Onboard AGP, also I have an ATI 64 and Doom doesn't work, Video Card is too weak. Then I tested a 5700 XFX Nvidia 128 and guess what need a more powerfull video card to play the game at the quality level that I want.
But then there's my Xbox (now is inly $150) all games are DD 5.1 and the vast majority of them in HD(new games). I have an HDTV and games look extremely well. The Xbox live capabilities finally take a stand against Sony which is a Marketing Machine. Hmm I'm hooked with Rainbow 6-Black Arrow, when you reach the moment when you close your eyes going to sleep and all youcan think or even dream is that freakin game you're really HOOKED!! :D

#6 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:45 AM

My current pre Halo 2 addiction is Burnout 3. This racing/Carmageddon-esgue road warrior game is the most addictive racing game since Carmageddon hooked me in 1997.

The music sucks, but I have loaded tons of my own music into the XBox soundtracks to turn a minus into a plus. I hear rumors that XBox Next (the next generation for XBox) is ditching the hard drive, and the loss of soundtracks will be the hardest thing to live with......

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Tom_P

Tom_P

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 12:57 PM

Men no Hard drive, and where the heck are we to save the Xbox Live upadtes, ahh I know they are going to sell those. Makes no sense, but it is Microsoft any bug I mean anything can happen.

#8 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 02:50 PM

XBox magazine mentioned the potential removal of hard drives from the next generation in an attempt to get the console price down (they feel the higher prices helped Sony), but I think it is a big mistake. XBox has been "over-engineered" according to some, but I disagree. 5.1 surround for gameplay (not just cutscenes), HDTV support, soundtracks, better graphics, etc. all make the XBox the most attractive to me. Playing Halo with the lights down and the 7.1 surround turned up convinced me of the merits of the system early on.

I even like the big box that many deride. It fits into my stack of components nicely and the extender cables let me extend the already generous controller cables even further (ditto for the breakaway connectors to keep junior from ripping the unit off the shelf when he trips on it). Heck, I even like the old "big" controllers (some call it the "Duke") You can't buy them new anymore, but most GameStops have them available used (even better I get a free used game when I buy two).

I'm looking forward to the graphics upgrade the next generation will get (a Perfect Dark sequel is supposed to be one of the launch titles), but I'm gonna miss the hard disk if it goes away..... At the very least I hope they make one in an addon unit, but that may cut developer support for user soundtracks.

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   Unthinkable

Unthinkable

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 11:20 PM

My current pre Halo 2 addiction is Burnout 3. This racing/Carmageddon-esgue road warrior game is the most addictive racing game since Carmageddon hooked me in 1997.

The music sucks, but I have loaded tons of my own music into the XBox soundtracks to turn a minus into a plus. I hear rumors that XBox Next (the next generation for XBox) is ditching the hard drive, and the loss of soundtracks will be the hardest thing to live with......

I played that game a bit tonight and had some mindless fun at a Best Buy store. Its hella crazy T-boning cars off the road at high speeds and into open water. Talk about road rage on steroids. Lots of fun in a videogame environment, but it sucks to no end when someone runs into your car in similar fashions like someone did to me 3 weeks ago. The boost gauge and slow motion crash effects complete with broken windows, exploding buses, and totaled mayhem are pretty cool. Just played the demo which only features a handful of unlocked cars and options, but its still enjoyable. Heard the online part of the game wasn't stable at all when the game initially launched, but supposedly its much better now that EA has gone in and revamped some things on the server side. Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb gave it a 5 out of 5 on X-play recently and most of the reputable gaming magazines have all been repeating that it looks to be the best console racing game of the year as well as a strong contender for Game Of The Year honors.
I keep hearing rumblings that even if the hard drive isn't included with the next gen X Box, that you will still be able to buy portable storage units in large enough sizes that it won't be a big deal at all - although it may be in terms of extra costs passed onto all consumers. Looks like you already mentioned this in a later post in the thread. Best thing for us with the next gen X Box should be more and more games all shipping with true HD and widescreen support.

#10 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 02:15 PM

The genius of the game is that they take crashing, the thing that usually has you throwing your controller to the ground in disgust, and turn it into a "fun" thing by letting you nudge the crashed car in mid air in slow motion and try to take out other racers or merely cause the most impressive crash.

The only thing this game really needed was a Driver-esque film module that let you record your races and allow you to manipulate the camera to come up with some insane "Bad Boys 2" like sequences to play back when you perform an impressive stunt or cause a spectacular crash.

I wish I could have saved one of my "Crash" missions where I was Downtown and caused 22 cars to fly in different directions when I activated a crashbreaker. I rewatched it 5 times before I reluctantly hit the continue button.

One other minor complaint, the timed taps are insanely hard. I can always earn the bronze, but the gold medal times are kicking my ass. Drive too slow and you don't get the gold, drive too fast and you crash into vehicles or obstacles guaranteed.....

Posted Image

spam firewall