Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

directv sub-contractor, couple of questions

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Strong

Strong

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:04 PM

Something definitely sounds fishy with those wages. I went on an interview last year for a W-2 installer job and they were paying a whopping $9.25/hr. I passed.

Also, remember that if you are a full time employee, the employer has the incentive for you to do as many jobs per day as possible. If you spend 4 hours on a job that could be done 'adequately' in 1 hour you won't be an employee for very long.
"I'm real cool, I chill to the max, I might act crazy, but I don't smoke crack!" - Shinehead

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:46 PM

the company is directech southwest and they are merging with commcraft. my home office is in paducah kentucky. and if anyone is interested let me know and i will keep you posted on the merger as i find out more myself. i do know quite a few techs out of the home office that dont want to go to hourly rate as they say they can make more per job, whick makes sense to me. but i like the 26 bucks an hour better!!!

Don't take this the wrong way, but I went to this company in Paducah to see about installing for them, I was just there around a week and a half ago. I forget what the actual job came out to be paying per, but I was told I would get 91.00 for a three receiver job.......I make 110.00 for a three receiver job with a retailer I work for in Paducah doing E* installs. So I find it hard to beleive they will pay that much. If they do, watch it. They may say they are going to put you on a quota and if you don't meet your quota each week you will get less. That is what a company in Indy started doing last year. And yes, I have seen those guys over there, no offense to them, but noone seemed to know what was truly going on. maybe they were having a bad day, maybe I just was there at a bad time, but first impressions are hard to change sometimes. And don't get stuck with a D* company specifically, sometimes when these places hire you in as employees, and not contractors, you will have to sign non-disclosures and such stating you won't work for any other dbs company for X amount of years within an X radius. I am local here, so if you have any more questions, email me or something and I'd be happy to here what they told you and tell you what I think, then let you decide.
DNSC_Installer

We get it up, We get it in, We get it on.....

#23 OFFLINE   Mike500

Mike500

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 07:39 PM

I am a master electrician and a totally in-wall high end installer. I take only those jobs that are passed two to three levels down from other satellite dealers, Circuit City, Best Buy and Radio Shack. Depending on the install, I can install one special in-wall cable run for $120 to a one reciever install for $160-$180. Then again, I've installed custom home theater systems with up to 8 DirecTV outlets, phone outlets, electrical outlets, and new household circuits for as much at $1900.

#24 OFFLINE   garyl24

garyl24

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:22 PM

dnsc installer, where in southern illinois are you from? i to live in southern illinois, over by vienna. anyways the paducah office pays 61 for a 1 room install and 20 bucks for each aditional ird you instal. so a three room instal is 101 of course this is if you are certified. if not it is only like five bucks less.

#25 OFFLINE   dark3d

dark3d

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:52 PM

If you are looking for w-2 work in AR/OK, let me know....

#26 OFFLINE   dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:49 AM

dnsc installer, where in southern illinois are you from? i to live in southern illinois, over by vienna. anyways the paducah office pays 61 for a 1 room install and 20 bucks for each aditional ird you instal. so a three room instal is 101 of course this is if you are certified. if not it is only like five bucks less.

I'm in brookport. I have been SBCA level 2 cert. for about 4 years and some change, all my own tools and truck, and that is what they told me I would get paid, so I just said thanks and call me if they could at at least match what I was making now. That was also when Dish had its slow spell over the summer, but things are picking back up now. not only that, at the time I was over there, all mngmt. was conveintly unavailable all three times I was there, every question I had was answered by the techs available or the office girls, and noone seemed to know when someone might be availble to talk with about pay/interview/or anything else. So I just hung in with the dish and waited for things to pick back up.
DNSC_Installer

#27 OFFLINE   garyl24

garyl24

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 02:57 PM

yeah they are pretty unorganised. but it is the only way i can find to get started. so i guess i will have to deal with them for a little while.

#28 OFFLINE   dnsc_installer

dnsc_installer

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 01:16 PM

have you tried talking to Ketterman's in Metropolis, they pay less, but they supply everything truck, gas, all supplies..............
DNSC_Installer

#29 Guest_phillycreamcheese_*

Guest_phillycreamcheese_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:00 PM

i am going to arkansas monday to get certified for directv, and i will be a sub-contractor. i will make $61 for 1 reciever and $20for each additional. is this about average pay? they said i have to have my own tools and my own truck. i have been reading the threads and searching to see what all i can find out about this. my question is, for you guys that work as a sub contractor do you have to buy your own compression fittings and your own cable? i know independant contractors do but i am unsure about sub-contractors. thanks for any help

1 rec = $70, add $20 for each additional outlet/mirror/backfeed, $20 for and additional dish install, and $20 more for a superdish. So, that's 4 rec and a superdish for $150 and that includes free wall fishes/attic runs/pole mounts. Still, it's not too hard to do 2 quads a day and even pick up a QC/QA on the way home for an extra $10. This is w-2 work and $15 of each install is tax free vehicle allowence. So, even with 1 or 2 room installs, you end up with $150 (10 jobs @$15) or more per week tax free. They also provide everything, but the tools and truck. It is a very sweet deal, so I urge you to look for something similar.

#30 OFFLINE   amkc1

amkc1

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:13 PM

I'm in champaign/urbana. Been putting up superdishes for Good Vibes since July. Work has slowed down incredibly as of late and I'm wondering if there's anywhere this installer can get more work?? Got insurance, tools, van, etc. Any ideas are appreciated.

#31 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:16 PM

Call Installs Inc And See If They Are Looking For People In Your Area

#32 OFFLINE   garyl24

garyl24

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 04:27 PM

well i figured i would post an udate. i no longer work for directech anymore and if any of you live in southern illinois or western kentucky i would advise you to never go there and work for them. they want to pay you like a sub-contractor but treat you like an employee. there for awhile they was sending 110 miles one way for a 1 room install and 1 sevice call. they expected you to come to a meeting once a week and you had to be there by 7 am on tuesday and watch a bunch of stuped movies and get chewed out. they like to cuss you like a dog, by calling you a mother fu**er and an idiot and all types of stuff like that. one time they called me in to the office, i was about an hour away, just to sweep the parking lot for them. they expected me to do it for free(i dont get paid by the hour) the reason for that was because a bunch of illinois tech's had failed some QC's(quality control) and so they wanted to punish all the techs even the ones that didnt fail any QC's. another thing i didnt like was if you went on a sevice call and the job wasnt up to code you had to bring it up to code. now remember a service call is only a $25 job, and with your gas and cable and fittings alot of times i would lose money instead of make it. then they wanted you to run a phone line to each IRD. that was fine i know you are supposed to do that, but they wanted us to do it even if the customer didnt have a home phonw, now that was stupid. then they took away our shirts that we got for free when we first started, and made us buy new ones at $15 apice and you had to buy atleast 2. and last but not least the whole deal on the company merger, that was a buch of BS, it is now almost may and they havent even started on it yet. if anyone has any questions feel free to ask them and i will answer them. the reason for this update is i had a few peeps pm me and ask me to please update.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...