Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

In search of the Harry Potter DVD

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 11:49 AM

Well, since I had off work today I thought I would try to pick up the Harry Potter DVD for my daughter. What an adventure that was.

First of all, CompUSA had the DVD on sale for $9.99 with a free mousepad. Not a bad deal. I arrived at the store 10 minutes before they opened and there was already a line. Then, I found out that they only had 100 copies. No biggy, I was pretty far up in the line.

When I got into the store they had two shelves with Harry Potter DVD's. I picked one up but quickly realized that it was a full screen version. I asked the attendant where the widescreen versions were. He said that out of the 100 DVD's, only 10 of them were widescreen and they were the first to go.

To me, this is good news and bad news. First, it's good to know that the widescreen versions were the first to go. This shows that more and more people are aware of the benefits. The bad news is that there were 50 other people there that didn't know the difference so several of us hung around to explain it to them (which made the attendants mad because the customers ended up walking out of the store without buying the DVD). CompUSA really blew it today with me and I will probably not go in there for quite some time.

I ended up going to Best Buy. Boy did they come through. They must have had a thousand copies and most were in widescreen for $16.99. They also had a nice little table setup with balloons for the kids and other Harry Potter items such as games.

By the way, I also stopped in to Wal-Mart. All they had left were some VHS copies. That was actually pretty cool because it shows that the DVD's are going first. Back a couple of years ago, the VHS copies on a major release would always go first. DVD is here to stay!

Anyway, just thought I would share my little adventure today. I'm not a Harry Potter fan and have not seen the movie but will probably watch it tonight with my daughter. I'm actually looking forward to it mainly for the effects and the music.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 01:38 PM

I got mine on Friday :) I ordered mine months ago. Now I got to find the time to watch it.

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 02:27 PM

I got mine on Thursday last week. I really enjoyed it in the theater, and am looking forward to watching it again in my thater.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#4 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 03:59 PM

I bought mine at Costco during my lunch hour - widescreen for $17.49. No problem getting it here.
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#5 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 05:42 PM

RE: By the way, I also stopped in to Wal-Mart. All they had left were some VHS copies.

How much was the vhs copy????
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#6 OFFLINE   jrjcd

jrjcd

Arcane Movie Trivia King

• Gold Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 06:42 PM

i haven't bought one...don't plan to buy one...didn't see it in the theatre....(christmas???bah!humbug!) and probably won't watch it on sat....

now when they have a fantasy film based on a truly classic novel of great liturature, i will get that(now what could THAT be...)lol

btw-also didn't read ANY of the books....:P
jrjcd(jack)-

"I've got a FEVER...and the ONLY prescription for it is MORE COWBELL!!!!"
Lengendary record producer Bruce Dickinson

#7 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 28 May 2002 - 08:01 PM

How good is the movie? I've heard about how good the movie is, but what exactly is it about???
Anybody else wonder just how horrible WWE's "wrestling" is gonna get?

#8 OFFLINE   jrjcd

jrjcd

Arcane Movie Trivia King

• Gold Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 09:06 PM

well, it's about harry potter:rolleyes: ...and about this sorcerer's stone:lol: ...i think harry and his two friends climb thru this magiical wardrobe and come to a land covered in perpetual winter and...no, that's not it..lessee...

i know-harry and his friends cook themselves up some green eggs and ham...no wait-that's not it either...

harry gets bitten by a genetically enhanced spider and then ...no, i don't think THAT'S it either...

well, give me a few and maybe i can remember what it's about...:shrug:
jrjcd(jack)-

"I've got a FEVER...and the ONLY prescription for it is MORE COWBELL!!!!"
Lengendary record producer Bruce Dickinson

#9 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 09:10 PM

Harry Potter is a boy who finds out he's a wizard and the movie is pretty much about his adventures in "Wizard Academy".

I just finished watching it and I wouldn't say it was a great movie. Some of the special effects and art direction are quite good but overall it's kind of ho-hum movie for kids.

#10 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 09:25 PM

Originally posted by karl_f
I bought mine at Costco during my lunch hour - widescreen for $17.49. No problem getting it here.

:D You should've pre-ordered it on their website, as I did. It was the same price, shipping was free, it arrived Saturday via USPS, -AND- they threw in a certificate for a free dvd, to be redeemed on your next in-store visit.

:righton: Way to go, costco.com !
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#11 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 29 May 2002 - 07:28 AM

Just out of curiosity, spanishannouncetable, did you get your screen name from watching wrestling? :)

#12 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 04:14 PM

Well, my 5 year old has watched it from stem to stern twice in one day. She just loves it.

At Wal Mart she was saying "Dad it's on video and DVD." (Now where's the little parrot icon??)
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#13 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 04:50 PM

Originally posted by DBSOgre
Just out of curiosity, spanishannouncetable, did you get your screen name from watching wrestling? :)

Would you believe me if I said no ? :)

Neither would I :D :lol:

Scroll just over halfway down this thread -

http://www.dbstalk.c...=&threadid=3824
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#14 OFFLINE   Adam Richey

Adam Richey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationKokomo, IN

Posted 29 May 2002 - 06:27 PM

I really enjoy wrestling, and the RVD vs. Eddie Guerrero match this Monday more than made up for my lack of interest as of late. Definitely a Match of the Year candidate.

#15 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 07:44 PM

Picked mine up at Best Buy on Tuesday for 16.99. I a patient fellow and can wait until the official release date.

Very enjoyable movie.

:soapbox:

BTW, P&S DVD blows chunks! I bet Blockbuster is wondering why their DVD rentals are slowly going south. Maybe it's their carrying only P&S DVD policy when P&S versions are available.

#16 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 29 May 2002 - 07:49 PM

Originally posted by invaliduser88

BTW, P&S DVD blows chunks! I bet Blockbuster is wondering why their DVD rentals are slowly going south. Maybe it's their carrying only P&S DVD policy when P&S versions are available.

I agree with you. Some retailers just haven't woken up yet.

#17 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 10:08 AM

I was reading this yesterday: Harry Potter Framed for Full Screen which shows how Chris Columbus framed the filming to transfer very nicely to full screeen, without the need to do serious panning and scanning. There's quite a bit of more technical discussion at DVDTalk in this THREAD.

Personally, I will never again buy anything full screen unless there absolutely no other choice, and it's something that I have to have. But, the above links are interesting nonetheless.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#18 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 10:13 AM

I would be more forgiving if they compromised and reduced 2.35:1 down to 16:9. But, in most cases alot of picture is lost and the shot is changed significantly when they go from 2:35:1 to 4:3.

#19 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 12:04 PM

I agree...but if you look at the screenshot comparisons in the first link, some of those shots actually work better in 4:3 than they do in 2.35:1.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#20 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 30 May 2002 - 02:02 PM

But the way they filmed Harry Potter is an exception, not the norm...or is it?

spam firewall