Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Change in Video Setting on the HD10-250

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pvm21

pvm21

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 05:43 AM

Quick question:

When I change from a HD channel to a SD channel do I have to manually change the video setting on the receiver from 1080 to 480?

My Sony HD300 does this automatically through a variable setting...........this is preferred so that SD stations viewed in 1080 aren't cut at the sides............

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 14 September 2004 - 07:05 AM

You can set the ratio to full or panel. Panel will have black bars on the side while Full will stretch it to fill the screen. It's easier to just get an SD DirecTiVo to handle all SD content. Especially since they are only $80 now. That way the HD-TiVo will only handle HD.

#3 OFFLINE   pvm21

pvm21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 07:14 AM

So does that me YES........I'll need to change the video setting on the front panel??

#4 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 07:23 AM

There is a ratio button on the remote. In the settings menu you can set the default to panel or full. If you need to change it from the default you can use the ratio button on the remote. I have my default set to full, in case i go to an SD channel by accident, it will fill the whole screen. The rati button does nothing for an HD channel. Hopefully a future software update will change that and give us the ability to stretch HD content.

#5 OFFLINE   pvm21

pvm21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 07:29 AM

But I think I'm asking the wrong question.

I don't want to stretch the picture...........I want to know if I have to manually change the video setting on the HD receiver from 480 to 1080 when switching back and forth from SD to HD channels.

If you watch an SD channel in 1080 format, then you can stretch the content to fill the 16x9 screen. If you change the video setting to 480, you don't have to do that.

#6 OFFLINE   bobl

bobl

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 11:07 AM

Here's what I do to allow my TV to do the stretching of SD pictures. Set the HD DirecTivo to a 4:3 aspect ratio instead of 16:9 (this seems to have no effect on HD material). Also set the HD Tivo to panel mode using the ratio button so the Tivo doesn't do any stretching. Both of these settings can be left in this mode all the time. Lastly, set the HD Tivo to 480i when watching SD content and your TV will stretch the picture assuming you have a digital 16:9 TV. Set it back to 1080i (or 720p if that's what your TV needs) for HD material. This makes the HD Tivo act just like the SD Tivo for SD material.

BTW-I assume setting the HD Tivo to 4:3 instead of 16:9 simply stops the Tivo from adding black side bars to the SD pictures allowing the TV to provide a proper stretching of the picture. If anyone knows better I would appreciate any feedback.

Bob

#7 OFFLINE   pvm21

pvm21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 01:21 PM

But that's my question in general - do I need to manually change the setting on the front of the HD10-250 from 480 to 1080 every time I change channels from SD to HD?

I don't have to do this now with my Sony HD300.....I have a variable setting that picks the right format based on the signal.

#8 OFFLINE   aaronwt

aaronwt

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 04:40 PM

You can change the resolution with the remote. Hit the up button once and it shows you the current resolution. Each time you hit the button after that cycles through the resolutions. In the setup menu you can tell it what resolutions to cycle through. I have mine cycle through 480P and 1080i. You can choice 480i, 480P, 720P and 1080i.

#9 OFFLINE   bobl

bobl

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:57 AM

Yes, you need to change the resolution for HD vs. SD programming. Just use the up button as aaronwt said being sure to program it to cycle only through the modes you need (probably just 480i and 1080i). Hopefully the software will be updated in the future so the box simply passes through the native resolution of the programming if you wish.

Bob

#10 OFFLINE   longshot

longshot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 02:43 PM

thats a bunch of crap they need to fix that in a s/w update soon! I am getting my HR10 hooked up on FRI. I'm glad i know this now :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...