Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sky Angel wins arbitration

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rcwilcox

rcwilcox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:40 PM

SA has won their lawsuit with E* we will see what comes of this. I see this as an historic opportunity to do something here. It will be interesting to see what happens.

http://www.skyangel....=echorelease&~=

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:44 PM

So E* folks might be loosing Angel One and/or Daystar? Sky Angel is taking God away from E* :(

#3 OFFLINE   rcwilcox

rcwilcox

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:51 PM

So E* folks might be loosing Angel One and/or Daystar? Sky Angel is taking God away from E* :(

Angel One is not in question. Daystar and Family Net are. SA is not taking God away from anybody read the link. I'm guessing maybe SA will strike a new deal with E* to keep the lineups and maybe give SA subs more bandwidth for more channels. Who knows.

#4 OFFLINE   BFG

BFG

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:58 PM

Yeah, I know they're not taking away God, that was a silly statement, sorry.

Thanks for clarifying which channels are in the lawsuit.

#5 OFFLINE   Joe Capitano

Joe Capitano

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:19 PM

I noticed on Daystar's website that in January the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in E* and Daystar's favor regarding the carriage issue, so Marcus and Joni, et al, may be safe from deletion.

The press release announcing this decision is found here.

#6 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 06:32 PM

Joe, That is an old ruling. As usual there have to be several rulings. Daystar, Dish and Sky Angel chase binding arbitration. Sky Angel won by a unanimous verdict. But that doesn't mean that Sky Angel is going to force Dish to remove Daystar and FamilyNet. What is most likely to happen is that Dish will "open up" those two channels to Sky Angel and ultimately allows Sky Angel to add another channel to its line-up without compressing the current channels more than they already are. Essentially SA* might remove Daystar from their transponder and allow their customers to "see" Dish's version.

This is just a guess. But that will probably keep everyone happy.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#7 OFFLINE   Paladin

Paladin

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 574 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 06:37 PM

Did anybody, besides me, see the dueling banjos style scroll messages when this thing happened? Worse than that was the un-Christian like behavior from both sides.
An atheist is only an atheist until they find themselves in a life threatening situation, then they cry out to God for help. Atheism is a religion of convenience.

The documentary "Supersize Me" was about Michael Moore, right?
:lol:

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:14 AM

FamilyNet and EE are gone. Daystar remains. Odd.

JL

#9 OFFLINE   mwgiii

mwgiii

Gaming Guru and Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:29 AM

I always thought a logical solution would have been an agreement to allow Dish to keep the networks in question and in return have Sky Angels channels appear in everyones guide with a slate to call SA (like the superstations).

No money damages.

Good for everyone, Dish keeps channels & doesn't have to put up FN & Daystar locals. Sky Angel gets a lot of new subscribers.

I bet 80% of Dish subscribers don't even know Sky Angel exists.

#10 OFFLINE   SkyAngelSat

SkyAngelSat

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:32 PM

I can assure the rest of the posters on this board that “JL” is not “in the know” regarding Dominion's business matters (ie, Angel One is not a PI channel on DISH). How come it’s often the individuals who are the least informed who always seem to have the most to say? And as for Mr. Richey’s libelous comment, I would expect that “moderators” especially would be a bit more careful about this sort of thing.

We certainly appreciate this forum and the comments of those of you—most of you—who use it responsibly, and I would hope that you will not ignore the facts of this or any issue that are readily available to you through sources that are actually in the know. Regarding our litigation with EchoStar, let me remind you that we do provide detailed information, including court-documented evidence, at www.skyangel.com/echostarlawsuit The truth speaks for itself.

Thank you for “listening.”

Nancy Christopher
VP, Public Relations
Dominion Sky Angel

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:15 PM

This is not a corporate forum. It would be nice if The Dominion did not attempt to silence objections to the sad sad way that they betray the gospel in operating their business. SkyAngel has long been listed as a PI channel on E*.

If you don't like the way people see your business operate in a more Christ like method.

We appreciate it when corporates stop by, but it isn't "your" forum. You had one on SkyAngel.com but that seems to have gone away. Didn't like the content? :D

JL

#12 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:29 PM

When things turned ugly over at the skyguide site, the forum was turned off. Thanks to Chris and Scott who each started a Sky Angel forum in their respective sites discenting opinions cannot be silenced so easily.

Solution to the problem...Dish opens up the three channels they have as PI that Sky Angel wants to Sky Angel subscribers. Dish allows everyone to "see" the Sky Angel channels on the EPG with "Call 1-800-Sky Angel to Subscribe" just like the other Dish channels. Sky Angel in turn does not have to uplink Daystar on its own. Sky Angel can now offer either 1 more video channel or 6 more audio services! EVERYONE wins!

Sky Angel's attitude: "It's my ball and you can't play with it. Nya! :P "

See ya
Tony <<< Generally supports Sky Angel NOT this time.
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

#13 OFFLINE   mattb

mattb

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:10 PM

We certainly appreciate this forum and the comments of those of you—most of you—who use it responsibly, and I would hope that you will not ignore the facts of this or any issue that are readily available to you through sources that are actually in the know. Regarding our litigation with EchoStar, let me remind you that we do provide detailed information, including court-documented evidence, at www.skyangel.com/echostarlawsuit The truth speaks for itself.

Thank you for “listening.”

Nancy Christopher
VP, Public Relations
Dominion Sky Angel

What I dont get, why is EE Which shows JCTV durning off air hours in this mess??????

YOU guys arnt carrying JCTV which is a TOTALLY CHRISTIAN channel, instead you rather run such things as rerun "pax" programming on Gardian Television , Maybe you should drop WSFJ 51 and add JCTV which is Christian since your now blocking dish from carrying it.

Dont get me wrong, I *love* what Skyangel is attempting to do by providing Chrisitan programing, but if your not going to carry a channel, don't ban someone else from doing so.

Last I checked isn't a goal of being a Christian to get the "Good News" Out there?

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:10 PM

What is most likely to happen is that Dish will "open up" those two channels to Sky Angel and ultimately allows Sky Angel to add another channel to its line-up without compressing the current channels more than they already are. Essentially SA* might remove Daystar from their transponder and allow their customers to "see" Dish's version.

Daystar is not currently on E3, so a SkyAngel customer would have to have a two dish system to get Daystar (in essence, subscribe to E* since no SkyAngel customer would have a two dish system unless they were E* subscribers or former subscribers with a wing dish).

A better deal for SkyAngel *customers* would be the return of one of the six transponders leased to E* (not TP28 :D ) and fill that transponder with 10 more QUALITY religious TV signals (including JCTV) and more radio feeds. They have Solid Gospel on SkyAngel, why not add Salem's other feeds? Today's Christian Music? The Word In Praise? I even think it would be cool to add a Salem Christian Talk channel (they have a full day of good talk shows).

The ONLY way we have seen channels added to SkyAngel lately is by dropping others. I see no reason to commit to SkyAngel programming when the Dominion will not commit to keeping the channels they already have. ADDING more channels would increase their sales more than this silly unBiblical anti-compete contract enforcement.

And a question for our official guest: In what way does blocking E* subscriber access to FamilyNet and Entertaining Everyone help meet the goals and vision of SkyAngel?

Our Vision:
To provide a global communications platform as an instrument of unity to equip the Body of Christ to fulfill the Great Commission.

Our Mission:
To build and operate a global direct broadcast satellite system as the most effective means of assuring that the Gospel will penetrate every nation, culture and people—even the most unreachable regions of the world.

And, question 2; How does losing 8 western transponder assignments, trading away license to 6 of the 8 transponders granted by the FCC, and failing to launch a satellite or complete an uplink center reflect on your commitment to the FCC to order, build and launch satellites to serve your customers? Do you realize that you are living through loopholes?

Question 3; Do you not realize that your licenses only reach the US and it will take MAJOR action by international bodies to get permission to even attempt to intentionally beam a signal into another country? Or is your company planning on violating international regulations for a good cause?

And finally, question 4; Who did the fact checking on your website history and hidden lawsuit pages? Baghdad Bob or CBS News?

JL

#15 OFFLINE   drfreeman

drfreeman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 06:46 AM

will the vp of pr nancy like to respond to those questions????

#16 OFFLINE   jegrant

jegrant

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:48 AM

Sky Angel doesn't currently carry JCTV because JCTV is a part of TBN; TBN, although they don't mind being carried on Sky Angel, is unwilling to reciprocate and run a few promotions telling the TBN audience about Sky Angel. SA will give them airtime for one channel of their choice free, but in exchange, the channel (or another related channel) has to promote SA.

FYI - Today's Christian Music was added to ch. 9755 a while ago now. I thought that "The Word In Praise" was discontinued, but I could be wrong.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 11:15 AM

FYI - Today's Christian Music was added to ch. 9755 a while ago now. I thought that "The Word In Praise" was discontinued, but I could be wrong.

Yes, it was added August 18th 2004, after the removal of BBN from 9761 a week earlier. TWIP still exists nationally, although it's not as popular as TCM or SG (which are both on SkyAngel).

9752 God Listens came March 3rd, after PulseFM was kicked.
9706 SpiritTV came March 10th, replacing World Harvest lost March 3rd.

SkyAngel has lost or ditched 16 channels over the past three years.

JL

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,594 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:04 PM

And now Daystar leaves ... but at least it appears that it is staying on in the markets where Daystar has locals.

JL

#19 OFFLINE   mattb

mattb

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 08:52 PM

Skyangel.com still shows Daystar as one of their channels.... Even though its been gone from E* main system for awhile.

#20 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 09:02 PM

Daystar was removed from Dish's main system for national distribution this afternoon. Daystar is still available nationally on Sky Angel. Dsystar has been available nationally on Sky Angel since pretty much the beginning for SA.

See ya
Tony

"Dish Channel Chart"
"TV Market Maps"

spam firewall