Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

surround sounds/rear speakers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 10:59 AM

I use a Klipsch DD5.1 system on my TV for surround sound. It works ok, but lately I don't notice hardly any sound on the rear speakers. They are hooked up and work cause you hear sound slightly out of them and the test tone works. I have it hooked to my satellite dish network receiver thru the optical cable as well as the regular a/v wires and still nothing.

What could be the problem??

I'm about ready to ditch this for a different surround sound receiver.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 11:38 AM

You didn't state if you checked the settings to be sure that Dolby Digital (5.1) Surround is enabled on both the surround sound receiver and your satellite receiver. Both of those need to be set for surround sound to occur, and then only if the programming is broadcast in 5.1 Surround Sound.

#3 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:16 PM

You didn't state if you checked the settings to be sure that Dolby Digital (5.1) Surround is enabled on both the surround sound receiver and your satellite receiver. Both of those need to be set for surround sound to occur, and then only if the programming is broadcast in 5.1 Surround Sound.

Sorry, yes it was on 5.1 on the satellite and the sound receiver.

Speaking of receivers, doesn't a powered subwoofer mean it has its own separate power source or am I wrong? This system at Walmart says on the box it has a powered subwoofer but just was hooked up with regular speaker wire.

Also, is there a whole lot of difference on a 400 watt sound system and a 650 watt? Our living room isn't that big, so I was thinking 400 watt would be enough. The price difference is half on the 400 watt system.

#4 OFFLINE   FritzM

FritzM

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:18 PM

Me too, Link. But if it's an HBO movie, or using the DVD, then she's screaming "WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO LOUD???" Master and Commander has a lot of surround sound information, and she was going berserk. I think it's either NBC or our local NBC station that isn't bothering to encode DD 5.1. I wouldn't be too hasty to blame your receiver.

#5 OFFLINE   olgeezer

olgeezer

• Registered
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:25 PM

First question. Have you done the pink noise test on your system? second question-yes powered subs are plugged into power.

#6 OFFLINE   BuckeyeChris

BuckeyeChris

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:29 PM

Sorry, yes it was on 5.1 on the satellite and the sound receiver.

Speaking of receivers, doesn't a powered subwoofer mean it has its own separate power source or am I wrong? This system at Walmart says on the box it has a powered subwoofer but just was hooked up with regular speaker wire.

Yes, a powered subwoofer has its own power source, AC plug, in addition to a separate speaker cord connection to the surround sound receiver. My subwoofer has a RCA type plug connector.

You might want to check if the audio is in a concert, jazz, or other special audio mode. My Sony has special audio surround sound settings called Cinema A, B and C for different types of movies, and other audio settings for different types of music.

My surround sound receiver also gives illuminates special LED icons on the display of the receiver when the audio source is in 5.1 or regular Dolby Stereo. Does yours also do this?

I don't subscribe to any movie channels, but during those free preview weekends, some big name movies are broadcast in 5.1, but most aren't. In fact, most channels I have are not 5.1.

#7 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:51 PM

Yes, a powered subwoofer has its own power source, AC plug, in addition to a separate speaker cord connection to the surround sound receiver. My subwoofer has a RCA type plug connector.

You might want to check if the audio is in a concert, jazz, or other special audio mode. My Sony has special audio surround sound settings called Cinema A, B and C for different types of movies, and other audio settings for different types of music.

My surround sound receiver also gives illuminates special LED icons on the display of the receiver when the audio source is in 5.1 or regular Dolby Stereo. Does yours also do this?

I don't subscribe to any movie channels, but during those free preview weekends, some big name movies are broadcast in 5.1, but most aren't. In fact, most channels I have are not 5.1.

Thanks for the info. Maybe the channels I watch just aren't in 5.1. I was watching a new show on WB on satellite last night and figured it should have had better sound.

I have looked at 2 RCA surround sound systems. The 400 watt is $150 and the 650 watt is $300. Both say they have a powered subwoofer, but on both systems the sub is hooked with regular speaker wire--but they call that powered?? The box even says it.

#8 OFFLINE   cdru

cdru

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 02:22 PM

I have looked at 2 RCA surround sound systems. The 400 watt is $150 and the 650 watt is $300. Both say they have a powered subwoofer, but on both systems the sub is hooked with regular speaker wire--but they call that powered?? The box even says it.

A sub can be powered and still have speaker level inputs. On budget home theater in-a-box packages, the amp for the sub actually is in the receiver. Techincally it is powered, athough not in the typical sense. On very cheap systems the sub is passivly hooked up along with the fronts. They don't have it's own seperate amp.

Also, sometimes the sub will have both high and low level inputs. The high level inputs can be used if your receiver doesn't have a low level output. The high level inputs go through a cross over to filter out the high frequencies, then to an amp to boost the power.

If the amp has a power cord, then it's powered, regardless of what type of connection it has for inputs.

#9 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 11:11 PM

I bought the RCA 400 watt system at walmart to try and replaced all my speakers with 16 gauge wire. The RCA system isn't bad for $149.00. Something definitely was missing before with my system. However, I think I might return it and try the Onkyo system for $299.00 that is 600 watts.

#10 OFFLINE   toomuchtv

toomuchtv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:30 AM

Definitely go w/ more power than you think you need. My system is a Sony 575W and it just doesn't have the oomph I wanted. Part of it may be the size and open floor plan of the room I have it in.

#11 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:49 AM

Definitely go w/ more power than you think you need. My system is a Sony 575W and it just doesn't have the oomph I wanted. Part of it may be the size and open floor plan of the room I have it in.

I know what you mean. It seems like I have a general idea in my mind the sound I want, and so far haven't gotten it with this system. But I thought I'd give it a try, then return it and spend a little more.

#12 OFFLINE   nsafreak

nsafreak

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:18 AM

From what I've heard the Onkyo are pretty decent HTIB systems. Went with the piece by piece route myself although it's definitely not the route for folks on a budget. $500 for the receiver, $375 for the subwoofer and I shudder to think what the Nohr speakers ran.

spam firewall