Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Version 140

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 01:54 PM

I spoke with Dish today and they told me that the 501 will be getting software version 140 pretty soon but it is only another maintenance upgrade. I was hoping that it would be a search feature upgrade

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 02:36 PM

It would be nice if it were caller ID.....

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 03:23 PM

I'd like to have that feature to neilster. :)
We probably will never see it on a 501. :(

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 03:23 PM

I don't mean to be sarcastic but why does anyone want caller ID on TV?

I would think it would be annoying.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 03:28 PM

Geronimo, your probably right. :D I just think I want it. :D
I certainly would like to have the option to turn it on or off.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 03:40 PM

I have caller ID on my 6000 and I like it. When the name and number pops up on the screen it allows me to see who's calling so I can decide if I'm going to get my lazy butt up from the couch to answer the phone.

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 03:55 PM

Chris, Is that an option you can turn on and off?

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 03:56 PM

I guess i would not want everyone to know who calls. But that is me.

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 05:03 PM

John, Yes

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 05:40 PM

Someone posted at DBS Forums today that they received version 150.

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 06:28 PM

Not for me. I just have bare-bones phone service, having removed the CallerID and call-forwarding at the end of Decembmer and use my home line as a dataline only.

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 07:41 PM

I miss the callerid from my 5000 reciever... because I too am lazy. However, it does preclude the need to purchase a cordless phone with callerid.

#13 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 07:42 PM

Marissadad,
did they say they had gotten any new features, or did it appear to be a maintenance upgrade?

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2002 - 10:11 PM

There's a horrible awful downside to on-satellite receiver callerid - if you forget to turn it off before you record something! It would be much better to have it built into your TV/Projector/Monitor/Plasma Screen/whatever you display on.

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2002 - 06:54 AM

Apparently as llunken stated, its just a maintenance upgrade.

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2002 - 12:01 PM

When this was first rumored we were talking about the issue of a callerid window popping up in the middle of the recording. We speculated ( with a little inside knowledge, I think) that at least on a pvr, since the callerid data wasn't in the sat stream, it wouldn't get recorded.

#17 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2002 - 09:25 AM

Just a response to "why would anyone want CallerID on their TV".

I had CallerID on my 5000 and it was a godsend. I miss it more than anything. Owning two businesses, my TV-time was my escape. My phone rang off the hook and each time I had to get up, go to the "CallerID box" and see who's calling to determine if I should get it or let it go to the machine. Not to mention those idiot "Out of Area" telemarketers. With the on-screen popup, it was great.

Further, I have a vision problem and the "Box" is kinda hard for me to read (especially in dim light). With the CallerID popup on my widescreen, I could read it from across the house.

I really miss that in the 501 and intend to write Dish to make sure they know I want it.

Thanks for listening.

Dave

Protected By... spam firewall...And...