Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Use of HR10-250 Tivo DVR as "almost standalone"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   anton

anton

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 05:45 PM

I bought a new HR10-250 Tivo DVR on ebay with the hope to use it to view and record over-the-air HD broadcasting. It turns out that the DVR serves well as a tuner. I get quite a few HD stations through my standard antenna. The problem is that I cannot use the recording capabilities of my DVR. The manual says I need to sign up with the ($4.99) "DIRECTV DVR with TIVO" service to be able to record. Can I subscribe to this service individually without having to subscribe to any other DIRECTV services ? My idea is to purchase a DIRECTV Satellite dish for the DVR program information download only. Will this work or do I have to subscribe to DIRECTV Satellite TV and maybe the HD programming itself ? I'd rather avoid the latter as I already spend too much time watching TV and would even more with the 100+ channels they offer.

Alternatively, can I cancel the DIRECTV services that I do not need after initially signing up for all the packages ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JJaret

JJaret

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:54 PM

The HR10-250 will not record without the Tivo service from Directv. In addition, you can not subscribe to the service w/o a minimum level of programming. And lastly the duel tuner function will not work w/o 2 directv lines attached to the DVR. If you are looking for a substitute, LG makes a standalone HD-DVR. It does not have Tivo service but rather its own software.

spam firewall